PDA

View Full Version : First attempt with Alliant Steel

aspangler
01-01-2014, 11:54 PM
Picked up a pound of Steel this week and got around to trying it in my 8x57 today. Just tried one load (too cold to do much) 16 grains under the Lyman 168gr gc rn. At 50 yards it was about 3 in group (5 Shoots) but showed NO signs of pressure. Primers were not flat, etc. It actually looked a lot like the 2400 load of 16 gr. both for group and what the fires brass look like. It is very fluffy and is hard to drop from a measure. Would probably work better with a dipper but be sure to weight EACH charge. Storm moving in and won't be able to do much shooting for a few days but will update this as I can. Steel is cheap (at least around here 16.50 a pound). Anyone have any info on what your results are in this caliber? How about the 30-06?

YunGun
01-02-2014, 01:02 PM
Haven't tried it myself, but I too am interested to hear from others that have. Always looking for opinions & feedback on powders I haven't yet tried, especially with the hit-or-miss availability of 'favorite' powders these days!

runfiverun
01-02-2014, 01:32 PM
i like steel powder for many things.
this powder comes up occasionally but it seems like myself and bullshop are about the only ones that have done too much work with it.
i used blue-dot/800-x data to get started but the having to weigh each charge slowed me down on using it for anything much more than high performance shot shell applications and the 44 mag type cases.

aspangler
01-10-2014, 12:00 PM
Nice day for a change yesterday so a trip to the range was made. 50 yards 3 round groups.

16.5 gr = 4.65 "
17 gr = 3.75"
17.5 gr = 1.199"
18 gr = 1.03 "

Next round will start at 18 gr (recheck) and work up in .5 gr. steps. So far there is 0 signs of pressure. Weather here is supposed to be rainy and cold for the next week so I'll have to wait awhile for the next update.