PDA

View Full Version : Where to find plastic tips for my cast boolits?

10 ga
01-01-2014, 10:49 PM
Somewhere I saw plastic tips for boolits for sale. I'm thinking it was somewhere on this wonderful board. Searched and can't find them here anywhere. Anybody have a link or info on where to find plastic boolit tips. I'm trying to shoot something other than FN or soupcans for some long range hunting and looking for anything to help boost the BC. Thanks. 10 ga

GabbyM
01-01-2014, 11:41 PM
Can't help you with plastic tips, sorry.
However over in group buys . If you are looking for a 30 caliber. They are running a 218 or so grain 30 caliber hollow point mold.
Last summer I got in on the MP 30-180-HP. Crammer three cavity. Bullets drop right off the thin HP pins.
It's nice. Very nice. Feeds up through my M70 in 30-06 so slick I wonder if it chambered a round. See link below.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?160055-MiHec-30-Heavy-Sil-brass-mold

bhn22
01-02-2014, 12:28 AM
There are solid copper bullets called Raptors that have optional plastic tips, but I've never seen such a thing offered for cast bullets. The tips would have to match a bullet profile, and a hollowpoint exactly. They would also lengthen such a bullet.
http://www.midwayusa.com/find?sortby=1&itemsperpage=24&newcategorydimensionid=20614

wistlepig1
01-02-2014, 02:31 AM
What about using hot glue in the HP type bullit? I was think that would increase expansion if you would leave a small void in the bottom of HP. I was thinking about it but I in the middle of a 22 cal project.

GabbyM
01-02-2014, 03:06 AM
What about using hot glue in the HP type bullit? I was think that would increase expansion if you would leave a small void in the bottom of HP. I was thinking about it but I in the middle of a 22 cal project.

That would be an answer to a problem that does not exist.

btroj
01-02-2014, 09:10 AM
That would be an answer to a problem that does not exist.

Precisely.

I'm not very into the "cool" factor with my bullets. They still seem to work.

freebullet
01-02-2014, 10:00 AM
Ive seen ski plugs mentioned. You can look into that, but you may aswell buy j-buls by the time you pay for those "tips". Seems like getting a mold with the profile you want or buying bullets is your best option.

Digital Dan
01-02-2014, 11:03 AM
Billy Dixon didn't need plastic tips.

bhn22
01-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Remember, the OP wants to increase his BC. At least that's my take on it.

Digital Dan
01-02-2014, 08:08 PM
Long nose and lots of lead is one way. http://www.buffaloarms.com/.42-.45_caliber_grease_groove_bullet_moulds_pr-4157.aspx Scroll down and look at the .446" 550 grain "Roos" as example.

The OP was short on specifics...there's a lot of ways to skin a cat...

lunicy
01-03-2014, 12:19 AM
I have swaged an airsoft bb in the tip of a bullet

jethunter
01-03-2014, 03:40 AM
Billy Dixon didn't need plastic tips.

Billy Dixon didn't use a computer either, and yet here we are using one. :)

GabbyM
01-03-2014, 04:00 AM
With a cast boolit. You can have a lube size nose punch shaped to point a bullet. Collapsing the HP cavity into a point.
However in the real world things aren't that simple. However to try to live in a complicated world is the fools Foley. If any of you have the world figured out. I'd like to hear your explanation of space time. Not the three liner at top of a wiki page.

bhn22
01-03-2014, 10:28 AM

I'm not. I don't own a computer. :kidding:

Rangefinder
01-03-2014, 11:11 AM
a ski plug works. whoever mentioned they're expensive is buying gold plated. $3 per 1oo isnt bad.

jethunter
01-03-2014, 02:09 PM
I'm not. I don't own a computer. :kidding:

I assume you're using your mom's computer in her basement? :kidding: :)

country gent
01-03-2014, 02:29 PM
A plastic plug machined to mach the mold profile with a small stem placed in the mold and cast to may bond better than the J words with plastic tips do. Lead will melt into it forming a solid bond. A screw machine could be set up to run them very quickly ( probably 10,000 or so a day). A custom mold with a small metplat and tapered nose could cast the same thing in all lead. Overall length would have to be help for the twist rate being used though.

dudel
01-03-2014, 02:32 PM
How about this:
http://www.midwayusa.com/brand/cutting-edge-bullets

Used to be able to get the tips alone from:
http://cuttingedgebullets.com/

You may have to work the hollow point a bit (might be easier to drill them out), then do some thing to try and match the profiles. Never tried it; but there at some "tips".

Digital Dan
01-03-2014, 08:39 PM

Yeah, he did. It was located between his ears. Most of us are equipped likewise and with one a great deal more powerful than what you can buy at Wally World.

MtGun44
01-04-2014, 01:03 PM
Most folks don't spend the time 'programming' that grey matter computer well enough
to do the long range work. Shooting bison all day for a living will put a whole lot of
raw data into that system and help develop some pretty sophisticated 'algorithms'
to calculate what to hold.

Bill

jethunter
01-04-2014, 05:52 PM
Yeah, he did. It was located between his ears. Most of us are equipped likewise and with one a great deal more powerful than what you can buy at Wally World.

You're talking about his natural intelligence and the power of thought. I was referring to a computer - the thing you're typing on. And Billy Dixon didn't have one. :)

bhn22
01-04-2014, 06:20 PM
I assume you're using your mom's computer in her basement? :kidding: :)

<<rimshot>> Don't I wish that I didn't have to pay for everything around here, without fail, and without excuses. Life was simpler before I was the parent.