PDA

View Full Version : Colt DA 41 info on gun needed

BACKTOSHOOTING
01-01-2014, 09:29 PM
My ex called me this afternoon where she works careing for a older couple.

The husband died a little over a week ago and today she was packing things from his dresser and found a Colt revolver in a cloth bag and asked me to come and secure it.

Inside the bag was a Colt DA 41 in fairly good condition and 6 rds of 41 LC ammo in a paper bag with lead heads and a lot of white powder on the lead from oxidation.

The wife has asked me to value the gun for sale and looking up the ser# i found absolutely nothing for it so i ask for your help here.

On the gun is: Colt D.A. 41 Ser# 160682

I need to know if its a Duel acction or single as when i tried to pull the trigger it would not advance the cylinder but i didn't pull too hard.

It seams to be in fairly good shape and i could see no pitting in the barrel.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, Steve

Fire_Medic
01-01-2014, 09:34 PM
This is what google found for me:

http://www.justanswer.com/firearms/5mvyo-old-colt-revolver-marked-colt-d-a-41-side.html

http://www.thefirearmsforum.com/showthread.php?t=39880

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colt_M1877

On guns america a quick spot check has it at $700-$800, but I have no experience with this weapon so take what I say with a grain of salt. Just what some quick searching on the internet got me.

Gabe

MtGun44
01-01-2014, 10:47 PM
LOL. "lead heads"

Bill

rintinglen
01-02-2014, 05:11 AM
That looks like a Colt New Army and Navy 1892 model revolver, made in 1900 or 1901, by the serial number. Those 41 colt's are not valued that highly. The Last one I saw for sale locally was nicer than the one you have, and it sat on the shelf for months at 550. Without more closely examining the gun I can't really put a price on it, but if it was fully functional, I'd guess it in the 400-475 range. If it is non-functional--One sat in the "as is" bin for over 10 years in a gun shop near my brother's house in Texas with no takers at 125 bucks.
There are darn few competent Colt V-spring revolver smith's left. Repairs may be costly.

missionary5155
01-02-2014, 11:56 AM
Greetings
Functional in double action and single action is the key. May just need cleaning and oiling.
41 Colt ammo is very pricey to buy. But I reload my own as several others here at Cast B do also.
Today if it is not 85% finish or better, no pitting, bright blue on hammer, screws and trigger you have a shooter. 4 inch funcioning shooter models can be bought from $250 up if you are patient and look about. There just is little demand for under 90 % from collectors. And shooters are not going to pay alot for something that has to have Expensive ammo.
I am watching a 4 inch on GB that has one bidder at $200. The finish is less than your's and the grips appear to have a chip but it works. Me I will loose interst if it goes past $275 .
These are not rare and again due to the caliber shooters stay away unless they reload.
The last one I bought 5 years ago is in 107,xxx range, 90%+ with bright blue Colt finish. A 6 inch barrel and very shootable or I would not keep it. Paid $325 as it had sat for numerous years because of the ammo cost and lack of availability. But I reload and have molds and shoot these.
So there are my thoughts. From what I can see in the photos you have a shooter grade. Unless there is someone out there who really wants it.. there just is not the demand a modern available cartridge Colt would bring.
Mike in Peru

smkummer
01-02-2014, 01:07 PM
The DA in the model name means double action by means of pulling the trigger will cock, rotate cylinder and fire all on one trigger pull. It can also be cocked for single action firing. Sometimes, these guns are found non-working and almost no one works on them as it was discontinued in 1907. I agree with the above pricing as a few collect but don't shoot (they want the guns in mint condition) and those few that shoot (very few go though the hassle of loading 41 Colt) want them to work. The gun in question maybe just needs some oil in the action to free up its internals so you did good by not forcing anything. From what I see, it appears the gun has original finish. You can register at coltforum.com and post your pics there as well. Lately a few have proceeded into 41 Colt collecting and shooting.

MtGun44
01-03-2014, 03:48 AM
If it has bored thru cylinders (no diam change), and I think all are, it will be inaccurate without
heeled 'lead heads'. ;-)