PDA

View Full Version : Rem 25-06 factory round failure...ever seen this

lylejb
01-01-2014, 09:26 PM
At the range today with my son. For Christmas, I gave Him an Interarms mark X in 25-06. I'm the third owner, and I know the prior two. The rifle had approx 100 rds fired since new.

Anyway, the rifle came with 4 boxes of factory ammo, including the Rem 120gr we were firing today. I'm 100% sure this is factory.

3rd round today, kaboom. The primer split in a circle where it meets the case head. Actually, in 5 places it looks like a micro size cutting torch cut thru the primer. After extracting the flat of the primer fell off, leaving the ring and anvil still in the case head.

Fortunatly, my son wasn't hurt, but did get a face full of gas.

Unfortunatly, the bolt face now has the same "micro size cutting torch" grooves cut in it. Short of replacing the bolt, what can be done about this, or does anything need to be done?

pics to be added as soon as I can

Has anyone tried contacting Remington before? This was a faulty round, not a gun problem. I don't think they will do much, but their product did damage my gun.

soli
01-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Had the same thing happen with some older Rem.270Win.

lylejb
01-01-2014, 10:36 PM
Had the same thing happen with some older Rem.270Win.

Did it also chew grooves in your bolt face? Did you try to contact Rem? Did they do anything about it?

Mk42gunner
01-02-2014, 12:45 AM
I would e-mail them with the lot number from the box of rounds you were shooting, and include the pictures that you used in this thread.

Robert

Dennis Eugene
01-02-2014, 01:03 AM
+1 with Mk42gunner.

Cap'n Morgan
01-02-2014, 05:12 AM
Looks like a SEE (Secondary Explosion Effect) It is a rare occurrence, almost always happens with slow powders in large volume/small caliber cartridges. I would have the rifle checked for headspace to rule out any setback of the lugs. The marks on the bolt face is mostly cosmetic they can be removed, but it would increase headspace perhaps to a point where the barrel must be set back and rechambered.

I had a similar blowback with a 6.5x55 with a reduced load. I used the rifle for many years afterwards and the witness marks on the spent primers would always remind me of the rather unpleasant experience...:???:

fouronesix
01-02-2014, 09:51 AM
Could've had a little extra headspace to begin with.

soli
01-02-2014, 10:40 PM
No I did not call Rem.,should have.Broke the shells down and used to load other 270.

Teddy (punchie)
01-02-2014, 11:34 PM
I've had some crazy things happen and seen some different things, look odd so odd. I would look at how much of firing pin is hitting the primer, travel too far?

I can see mark but burns , ?? that had to be something else there, Oxidizer maybe. Something has to make it burn hotter then normal.

When Ackley was blowing actions. In his Book explains double ignition theory and the very high pressures that they make 25-06 is one but ?? side view of case cases fired before and or after pics of pressure areas.

MtGun44
01-03-2014, 01:15 AM
Bolt will be OK functionally, it would appear, but cosmetically challenged.

Not good.

Bill

leftiye
01-06-2014, 07:36 AM
That shouldn't be caused by high pressure. Primer fell apart. Pressure enough to stick case head in bolt and open up primer pockets until primer falls out will not separate face of a primer. Your primer was probably corroded inside. As Mt gun said the placement of the grooves in the bolt face are where the primer/case has a groove already and they don't bear, so they shouldn't affect functioning. Escaping gas was the cause of the damage. Glad the receiver didn't let go!

lylejb
01-06-2014, 10:46 PM
I E-mailed Rem about this over the weekend, and attached the pics. Got a prompt, generic auto-response saying they would look at my email sometime after the 6th.

No further response yet.

GabbyM
01-06-2014, 11:15 PM
Try checking Remington's product recall list to see if that ammo lot has ever been recalled.

country gent
01-07-2014, 01:37 PM
I perfer face to face or a telephone call to e-mail for that reson. Alot of times on the phone questions are ask that get to the problem and also saves time as Remington will probably want to see everything and the shipping label can be sent from the phone call directly not after a series of e-mails. The flame cutting of the bolt face may be an issue theres alot of it there. May have been a weak primer or that load may be on upper end of pressure in your rifle. On the other rounds fired that day what do te primers look like? Are they flattened? How was bolt lift? extraction? Dont do anything more than look at the fired cases for now, If remigton wants to see them they will want to see them as they came from rifle not deprimed sized and polished.