PDA

View Full Version : 223 primer question

Jayhawkhuntclub
01-01-2014, 02:49 PM
Well I screwed up. I painstakingly loaded up some 60 gr Noslers with 18.7 gr IMR 4198. When I was done, I realized I used Winchester standard small "pistol" primers, instead of Winchester standard small rifle primers. I'm pretty sure they'll work fine. Size wise they are the same. I could pull them all and start over. Any thoughts?

bowenrd
01-01-2014, 02:58 PM
I recommend teardown and redo with correct components. No need of inviting disaster. Mistakes can be the best teacher.

rockshooter
01-01-2014, 03:10 PM
I'd shoot them. I normally use small pistol magnum primers in .223. In temperatures down into the teens they work just fine. I suspect that as long as the ctgs are reasonably warm, all will be well.
Loren

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2014, 03:37 PM
Well I screwed up. I painstakingly loaded up some 60 gr Noslers with 18.7 gr IMR 4198. When I was done, I realized I used Winchester standard small "pistol" primers, instead of Winchester standard small rifle primers. I'm pretty sure they'll work fine. Size wise they are the same. I could pull them all and start over. Any thoughts?

Small pistol primers are designed for lower pressure applications, whereas Small Rifle primers are designed for higher pressures. I don't have those PSI/CUP numbers in my head, if I were to load some rifle cartridges with Pistol primers, by accident. I'd research what those numbers are...and look for what the Book listed pressure is for that caliber and load. Then making the decision to pull the ammo apart or shoot them 'as is' would be obvious.
Good Luck,
Jon

uscra112
01-01-2014, 03:39 PM
I dunno about shooting them. That load is close to 40K psi, which is a bit much for a pistol primer. Worst you will get is a pierced primer or two, but that does your bolt face no good.

w5pv
01-01-2014, 04:03 PM
From what I have seen some where the primers are the same as far as power.The pistol primers have a thinner cap enabling the lighter striking hammers to set the primer off.I would fire off a couple and look at them to see that they are not flatten,penetrated or shoved back.

bhn22
01-01-2014, 04:04 PM
Pull 'em down. It's not worth the risk.

bhn22
01-01-2014, 04:10 PM
I'd shoot them. I normally use small pistol magnum primers in .223. In temperatures down into the teens they work just fine. I suspect that as long as the ctgs are reasonably warm, all will be well.
Loren

Small magnum pistol primers from some manufacturers are very similar to their std rifle primers. Cup thickness is a major concern here. I used to use SR primers in my overloaded 357 Contender for silhouette, and a number of IPSC shooters use SR primers in 38 Super "Major" loads. One other point is that pressures actually increase in warm conditions, and decrease in cooler conditions. I've worked up great loads in the fall that show serious pressure signs in the summer.

Jayhawkhuntclub
01-01-2014, 04:14 PM
Well I decided to pay the price of being an idiot. I'm pulling them. These are partitions that I'm loading for deer. If it was a target load, I'd be more inclined to shoot 'em up.

nhrifle
01-01-2014, 04:23 PM
A few years ago a buddy suggested I try SP primers in my .223 loads for better accuracy. I tried a few in my AR and the majority ended up with pierced primers. I'm not doing that anymore. You may get different results, but please approach with caution.