PDA

View Full Version : Uberti Quigly Down Under in 45-70

slk
01-01-2014, 11:54 AM
I am casting my boolits 385gn with 39gn of RX7---500gn with 32gn RX7. Does anyone see any problems with this load for the Uberti sharps I have. I know that originaly they used BP, but I did not want to get into that. Just wanted to know if this load is respectible and not too hot a load for the rifle. I have shot it with these loads and it seams to be just fine.

Thanks Steve

Don McDowell
01-01-2014, 06:04 PM
What does your reloading manual say?

johnson1942
01-02-2014, 09:59 PM
32 grains of reloader 7 is the low end of what the charts say. it should give the same ft. per sec. as black powder does for that 500 grain bullet. as far as pressures, i cant tell you that. what i like about relader 7 is that it is clean enough for me not to wipe. its bulky and very accurate in my 45/70. i think the 385 grain bullet is a little short for the 1/18 twist barrel but the 500 grain is just perfect. i use a poly wad over the powder and under the bullet base as i would as if it were black powder. i prefer a paperpatch bullet but my gun shot cast very well with that powder also. i even had a bunch of cases that were very old and i had drilled the flash hole out slightly as many did 25 years ago for black powder. i called the co. rep. who makes reloader 7 and he said that reloader 7 was very safe to use in those cases so i do. the nickle is even wearing off of them but i never crimp and they shoot just fine with reloader 7. im sure their are other powders that shoot very well but as for me its the only one i will use. you should check the pressure charts but i think you will find it is not a high pressure powder. im retired now but the first thing i learned when i went to medical school years ago was never assume any thing. if you do you can either kill some one or make a (blank) out of your self. check the stats then you will feel safe. our neighbors son had one of those rifles like you got. he could get less than a minute of angle at 100 yards with a 500 grain bullet. it can be a real shooter.

slk
01-03-2014, 05:19 PM
Those loads are 14,400, and 15,200 respectively with the RX7. Seams like a mild load to me but want to be safe also....
Now I have never used a patch of any sort over the powder. My Lyman book did not say to do so. Guess it could not hurt though. I found the 500 grainer to be an awesome round. I was shooting bench rest with open sights at 100 yds and was able to keep it in a 3" diameter.
Steve

NSB
01-03-2014, 05:31 PM
Does the bottom of your barrel have Pedersoli stamped on it? I believe that Uberti was selling this rifle made both by Pedersoli and Taylor. If it's Pedersoli made, it's good for 28,000psi loads. I'm pretty sure Uberti never made this gun on their own. However, I'm frequently wrong.

slk
01-03-2014, 05:32 PM
Yes it does............

NSB
01-03-2014, 05:35 PM
See my edited post above. You're good to go.

Red River Rick
01-03-2014, 05:38 PM
Yes it does............

Anything stamped on the bottom of the barrel, ahead of the forearm?

NSB
01-03-2014, 05:42 PM
I owned two Pedersoli Sharps rifles in this caliber. They were unbelievably accurate with both cast and j-bullets. On a good day, when I could see the sights clear, I have gotten sub moa a couple of times with five shots. Average was just a tad over an inch for five shots. I got to the point where I couldn't shoot with irons anymore and let them both go. Still shoot 45-70s, they just have different sights on them.

Monttexan
01-04-2014, 03:01 AM
Does the bottom of your barrel have Pedersoli stamped on it? I believe that Uberti was selling this rifle made both by Pedersoli and Taylor. If it's Pedersoli made, it's good for 28,000psi loads. I'm pretty sure Uberti never made this gun on their own. However, I'm frequently wrong.

I have a Pedersoli I haven't had a chance to shoot yet. [smilie=b: Is the 28,000psi you stated in print somewhere? Where did that number come from? Thanks.

NSB
01-04-2014, 10:17 AM
I have a Pedersoli I haven't had a chance to shoot yet. [smilie=b: Is the 28,000psi you stated in print somewhere? Where did that number come from? Thanks.
Dick Trent, who worked for Pedersoli, wrote several articles about this and I also emailed Pedersoli for that info to confirm it. I don't trust everything I read on the Internet. Dick Trent was correct. FYI...you don't even have to go close to that level to get great accuracy from those guns. My most accurate loads were at, or just above, trapdoor loads.

Monttexan
01-04-2014, 02:10 PM
Dick Trent, who worked for Pedersoli, wrote several articles about this and I also emailed Pedersoli for that info to confirm it. I don't trust everything I read on the Internet. Dick Trent was correct. FYI...you don't even have to go close to that level to get great accuracy from those guns. My most accurate loads were at, or just above, trapdoor loads.

You wouldn't still have any of those articles laying around would you? [smilie=1: If so, perhaps we could work something out?

montana_charlie
01-04-2014, 02:40 PM
You wouldn't still have any of those articles laying around would you? [smilie=1: If so, perhaps we could work something out?
Go to http://bpcr.net .
Click on the picture to enter the site.
On the left sidebar, click Technical Information.
Scroll down and there are a number of articles by Dick Trenk.

If you still feel it's necessary to 'work something out', just send me a hundred bucks via PayPal.

CM

NSB
01-04-2014, 03:21 PM

If you still feel it's necessary to 'work something out', just send me a hundred bucks via PayPal.

CM
Both Charlie and BPCR are good sources of info. Good site to visit.

Monttexan
01-04-2014, 07:16 PM

CM

Thanks! Looks like there's some good info there. I may just got lost and lose time there reading like I do here! With the impending move I'll have to wiener on the $100. Since I'm heading back to Kalispell, and have a friend in Ulm, maybe I can swing in and buy a round at some point while I'm on a trip to see him?

montana_charlie
01-04-2014, 09:56 PM
With the impending move I'll have to wiener on the $100.
Wiener out if you must. Just don't start sending emails with pictures of you in the process of wienering ...

canthitsquat
01-06-2014, 01:00 AM
Wiener out if you must. Just don't start sending emails with pictures of you in the process of wienering ...

knifemaker
01-06-2014, 02:00 AM
I still have the e-mails from Dick Trenk when I contacted him about pressure levels for the Pedersoli 1874 sharps. It is 29,000 not 28,000 before you void the warranyt for going over that pressure limit. He also informed me that they tested the gun to about 72,000 PSI before it set the breech block back about 3 thousands. I tell you for a fact you will not want to fire many loads that are at 29,000 pressure with 405 gr. bullets or larger as it will jar your teeth with that steel butt plate. I had first contacted the Pedersoli factory about the pressure levels and they put me in contact with Dick Trenk for that information. I just reread the e-mails and confirmed the safe pressure level is 29,000 PSI in order not to void the Pedersoli warranty.
Another bit of infromation, the receiver of the Pedersoli is 50 thousands thicker then the Shilo sharps and made from forged steel and not a casting. Dick Trent also passed that infromation to me in the e-mails. My rifle was capable of under minute of angle with several different loads from 300gr. to 405gr. Never used anything larger then the 405gr. 350 gr. Hornady and 350gr. cast were my favorite loads in front of 41gr. of IMR-4891 which did not void the warranty due to excessive pressure levels.

Larry Gibson
01-06-2014, 09:01 AM

The figure, 28,000 psi, comes from SAAMI. That is the MAP (Maximum Average Pressure) in psi as measured with a transducer for the 45-70 Government cartridge. That load level is assumed safe in all 45-70 firearms. It is often referred to as "level I" loads or "trapdoor level" loads.

Larry Gibson

BTW; Here's me fondling the real "Quigley Down Under" Sharps..........

Artful
01-06-2014, 09:21 AM
Sweet to be able to fondle that rifle.

Larry Gibson
01-06-2014, 09:54 AM
I was eyeballing the exit door as this was at the SASS convention at the Riviera Hotel in Vegas a couple years ago. Phil (NRA Museum curator and a heck of a nice guy, I'm sure you've seen him on TV) was keeping a close eye on me! I also got to fondle the M92 John Wayne used in "True Grit"!

Larry Gibson

NSB
01-06-2014, 10:59 AM
The figure, 28,000 psi, comes from SAAMI. That is the MAP (Maximum Average Pressure) in psi as measured with a transducer for the 45-70 Government cartridge. That load level is assumed safe in all 45-70 firearms. It is often referred to as "level I" loads or "trapdoor level" loads.

Larry Gibson

BTW; Here's me fondling the real "Quigley Down Under" Sharps..........

That is the info I received from Pedersoli via email after I inquired. It may conflict with Dick Trent's email but it's what Pedersoli sent me. I won't quibble over 1,000psi.