PDA

View Full Version : 429244 in the 444

slughammer
11-29-2007, 08:34 PM
Got a 3 point on Monday with the 444. About 1:00 I was standing up on a stand and I saw him appear coming over the ridge. As he moved closer I picked him up in the scope several time; first to count the points and then to examine them to estimate them as 1" each. Made the decision he was legal and shot him broadside about 25 yards from my stand (about 15 seconds had elapsed since he came over the ridge until I pulled the trigger).

The deer was moving when I shot; I could see he rocked and then he turned and ran away. I saw a flash of white and then he dissapeared from my sight.

A few minutes later I climbed down and went to where he was at the shot, I saw the blood trail (2 ft wide) and followed it to the deer.

The boolit hit the muscle group on the left leg, broke a rib, took out the lungs and heart and then broke another rib and punched a hole out the other side. I lost about some meat from the left leg when the rib shattered; plus there was some shock jelly to clean up under both shoulder blades.

Lyman 429244, cast of A/C wheel weights, wraped with teflon tape and sized at .4322. Load was 53gr of H335 chronoed at 2080fps.

Glen
11-29-2007, 09:08 PM
Congratulations! Nice shootin'. Do you wrap those bullets with teflon tape before you put the GC in place, or after?

slughammer
11-29-2007, 10:38 PM
I seat the check, wrap the tape and then size. http://www.castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=22255

The tape is wider than I want, so when I wrap the tape I cant the roll so it stays between the front drive band and the check. IIRC I sized those in the pictures nose first. Teflon tape was a quick fix to my first shot flyer problem.

Freightman
11-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Love teflon tape, and it fixes some under size problems on milsurp rifles.

Shuz
11-30-2007, 12:13 PM
Nice goin'! Does Pa. now require a certain number of points to be a legal buck? How's the "no hunting on Sundays" thing going?

slughammer
11-30-2007, 08:20 PM
Yes, PA now requires 3 points 1" long on ONE side. http://www.pgc.state.pa.us/pgc/lib/pgc/digestpdfs/2004/antler_restrictions.pdf

No hunting on Sundays; it's been that way since I was born. This year I hunted NY, it was nice to drive up Friday and hunt 2 days; makes it worth the 240 mile drive being able to hunt 2 days.