PDA

View Full Version : What the future holds?

mikeym1a
01-01-2014, 01:00 AM
I have been sick since I was in VietNam. I've had cancer because of that, and more than a couple of surgeries. Today, I had to go to the VA ER. There were several problems they had to sort through, and after the CAT Scan, they told me I had a 5mm kidney stone. I've had several over the years, but most were of the 2-3mm size. I don't have any severe pain at this point, so, it may have passed into the bladder. I'm supposed to pass it through a sieve, and take it back to the Urology clinic on Friday. After the doctor told me that, he hesitated and said the Cat Scan showed lesions on my liver, and that with my history of cancer, I needed to talk to "MY" doctor, ASAP. That's the doctor who did my first surgery in 1981. He also told me that I have a swollen spleen. I'm not sure what all this means. It doesn't sound promising. And just when I was getting to the fun stuff with my guns. Darn. I've already made out my will. Guess I'll need to get my sons together, and try to teach them something about paper patching. I hope they enjoy the challenge as much as I do, and have. Not sure what to make of all this. I'm sure I'll think a little clearer once the pain meds are out of my system, and this kidney stone is gone. Just keep me in your thoughts. mikey

retread
01-01-2014, 01:13 AM
I too have had 2 bouts with cancer. Can't say for sure if it is related to my time in Vietnam but it would not surprise me. I am still kicking and will be 68 tomorrow morning.
Keep a positive attitude and talk to the Lord. He always listens. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jay

Gibbs44
01-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Prayers sent.

missionary5155
01-01-2014, 11:34 AM
Good morning
Will be praying for your conditions. As the years pass the complications sure begin to pile up.
Mike in Peru

Teddy (punchie)
01-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Happy Birthday !! Jay
I too have had 2 bouts with cancer. Can't say for sure if it is related to my time in Vietnam but it would not surprise me. I am still kicking and will be 68 tomorrow morning.
Keep a positive attitude and talk to the Lord. He always listens. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Jay

Teddy (punchie)
01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Mikey

Praying you have a great 2014.

Wayne Smith
01-01-2014, 12:32 PM
Mikey, lesions on the liver could be as simple as the result of smoking and very recoverable or may be as serious as cancer. Definitely go to your MD and find out. I will be praying for you.

Charlie Two Tracks
01-01-2014, 12:39 PM
I will be praying for you also Mikey and you too retread. As you get older things do start piling up. I've never been the same since Nam also. Those dang wars cause a lot more casualties than a person thinks.

mikeym1a
01-01-2014, 06:00 PM
Thanks, guys. Your thoughts are much appreciated. mikey

mhat
01-01-2014, 10:27 PM
Praying for ya Mikey. God want to here our concerns.

Mark

Fla9-40
01-01-2014, 10:44 PM
Sir I am Praying for ya...Hope all turns out well.

shoot-n-lead
01-02-2014, 02:40 AM
Prayer sent for you.

GOD Bless you and your family.

DLCTEX
01-04-2014, 04:52 PM
Prayers sent brother.

Badger Matt
01-04-2014, 11:20 PM
Mikey - Prayers going up from SC. Thanks for your service in Vietnam.

BSalty
01-05-2014, 11:48 PM
Done.

fatnhappy
01-14-2014, 08:36 PM
thank you for your service.

Lloyd Smale
01-15-2014, 08:36 AM
praying for you. Ive got a couple buddys here that were in at the same time as you that are fighting cancer caused by it. I have to wonder how many of our brave men fought the fight over there and died years later or suffered for years and died and suffered with no recognition of why! I not only will pray for you but salute you because the suffering your going though came from fighting for me. Its no differnt to me then if you died a heros death in battle or suffered wounds for me in a hospital. to me your a hero.

mikeym1a
02-20-2014, 01:17 AM
I hadn't visited this thread since my initial post. The Word says we are only allotted 3 score and 10. I'm close to that. I'll be 64 in April. I don't feel 64, I just have a lot of aches and pains that if the doctors did their job right I just know would go away. Only they can't seem to. One nurse practitioner told my '...you're getting old. accept it....' And I refuse. Only this old age stuff keeps happening. I've had 5 specialized tests since New Years Eve. According to the Orthopedist, my meniscus is not torn, it is degenerated, and should be treated with steroids. And he did that. I go back in 4 months for a followup. The Oncologist today was not so re-assuring. He told me that I have a form of cancer in my liver. They presume it is melanoma, as that was the last type that I had in 2009. There are also cancerous nodes in both lungs. And there is some kind of mass in my speen, which is enlarged. He said there is no chance of surgery, as there are too many traces to remove.. While there are drugs that might reduce the amount of cancer, these drugs will not kill the cancer, only lengthen my life. Presently, the best that they can offer is that I have 6 months to 2 years of life left. Miracles happen, though. My uncle who lives in Silver City, NM was given the same diagnosis last fall. But, his CTScan last month was clear of any cancer. His doctor ordered a Pet-Scan to double check. My very good friend in Winchester is currently in the hospital, he is suffering from congestive heart failure, and has both pneumonia and some sort of flu. If they can get the water out of his lungs, he might last a couple more years. He's already lasted past the date they gave him 5 years ago. Only God knows what will happen. I've been sick since I was 19, in VN. I'm tired of being sick and having to make allowances for my disabilities. Saying that, there is a whole lot I would like to do before checking out. And, I'd like to make it easier on my kids. I'll be in a better place, and they'll be left with the pain of loss. I just don't know what I can do to ease that. We all will die at some point, I just don't want it to be today, unless it us something that takes me out unawares. Something like that. Pray that I will find the answers. mikey

Hickory
02-20-2014, 06:33 AM
Something else you need to do before you see your doctor.
Check for lumps around your neck, arm pits, breast and groin areas.
A swollen spleen can be a sign of cancer, but not always. You're in my prayers.

smokeywolf
02-20-2014, 06:52 AM
Mikey you're in my prayers and words can't describe my gratitude for your service and sacrifice.

smokeywolf

histed
02-21-2014, 08:36 PM
Mikey, Thanks for your service. Welcome home. Like the others here I can't tell you what the future holds but I do know who holds the future. Seems like you've spent some time in the WORD, trust the Author and Finisher. HE never promised it would be easy but HE does promise to be with us and give us peace. We've never met, but you're in my prayers.