PDA

View Full Version : .27 Cal Nail Gun

Loudenboomer
12-31-2013, 11:26 PM
If this has been brought up recently here please excuse my indulgence. The New 17 Winchester magnum is derived from the .27 cal. nail gun blank. It's advertised to shoot a 20 grain pill at about 3000 fps. Brass is said to be about 50% thicker than that of the .17 HMR. Max operating pressure of the 17 Winchester magnum will run about 33,000 versus the 17 HMR's 26,000 psi.
Makes me wonder isn't this just a little more of the same thing?? Lots of what if potential here. What if instead of necking all the way down to 17 what if the case was necked down to 25 cal. and say a 75 grain bullet?? How about a straight case 27 cal. a 90 grain flat point loaded to .357 magnum pressure levels??

Multigunner
01-01-2014, 05:45 AM
Years ago I ran across an excellent condition revolver in .28 Rimfire. I'd never heard of that cartridge before, it apparently didn't catch on, probably why the pistol looked hardly used. I wonder if these .27 blanks would fit close enough that cases for this cartridge could be made from them.

Loudenboomer
01-01-2014, 09:41 AM
A hundred years ago larger cal. rim fire guns were common. With todays fire arm design we could make some good ones.

JeffinNZ
01-02-2014, 10:45 PM
I think the folk that would be interested in a .25 or .28cal small game cartridge are the folk that hang out in places like this and would load CF cartridges with cast bullets for it. .270 Ren for example, .22 Hornet necked up to .277cal.

Don't get me wrong; I think this cartridge has potential to be a real winner but you will be able to load a .17 Hornady Hornet for the same money as factory ammo. Each to their own.

Loudenboomer
01-03-2014, 12:47 AM
you will be able to load a .17 Hornady Hornet for the same money as factory ammo.

I'm with you Jeff. Not sure we're ready for another 17 rimfire. I'm also pretty sure a larger cal rimfire has about the chance of a snow ball you know where.
Since you know I'm drinkin Free Buble up and eatin rainbow stew. I do think a rim fired 27 cal flat point fired out of a 8 shot scoped revolver would be kinda neat.

Mk42gunner
01-03-2014, 02:05 AM
I just wish that instead of coming out with all sorts of 17 cal RF cartridges, the ammo companies would do the occasional run of the larger calibers.

That way we could maybe find a shootable box of .25/.32/.38 RF for less money than I have paid for a car. (Yes I have owned some vehicles that were one step from the junkyard in my time). Winchester and CCI did it with the .22 WRF, why not other cartridges?

Robert

Loudenboomer
01-03-2014, 10:44 AM
I'm sure its tooling and the need for ammo companies to "go where the money is". I'm going to keep dreaming. Ever wonder what if the ammo companies would just sell primed brass for the larger rimfire calibers. We could stuff our own cast boolits into factory primed cases. We would have great cases left over for swaging into jackets to boot. I'd imagine a primed rimfire case would require little more labor and materials then a pistol primer and a gas check. We would then have to solve problems with home loading rimfires. Appropriate loading tools and technique would need to be developed. Sometimes it's fun to bark up a tree even if it's probably the wrong one. :)
Kevin

snaketail
01-03-2014, 02:54 PM
I had the same thought - this cartridge would make a great .25 cal, even 6.5. But, "where the money is" is the answer. I've been a professional photographer for more than 30 years and I can assure you the camera makers don't make cameras for pros - they make 'em for "where the money is."

I like you idea of making our own - but can't see Winchester buying extra liability insurance.

M