PDA

View Full Version : Some of my balls are falling out ...

Wayne Smith
12-31-2013, 10:54 PM
Did Lyman ever make a .32 short die set, maybe in the 310 line? Might be handy to be able to crimp those little things.

SWANEEDB
12-31-2013, 11:56 PM
When I loaded the 32's I used a 32 auto set, I think they were one of Lee's, but not sure, or you could get a set of Lee's 32 long and cut the seating die down so that way you would have a roll crimp to really keep your balls in place, I think my balls fell about 65 years ago.

CATTLEMAN
01-01-2014, 02:50 AM
I hate it when that happens...

Green Frog
01-01-2014, 11:32 AM
Yes Wayne, some of the earliest of the #3 and 310 die sets were designed to do both 32 S&W and S&W Long. I've never loaded any of the "shorts" though... everything I shoot accepts Long (or "Longer") so I just don't fool with the little guys. If I were going to make gallery loads with buckshot to use in the basement, etc, I would pull out one of the old sets and have at it. Another possibility might be to use the sizing die to "taper crimp" your rounds on the round ball. Just saying'.... ;)

Froggie

Wayne Smith
01-02-2014, 12:59 PM
Froggie, I'm using the sizing die to taper crimp. I may not be seating them deep enough, but 1.2gr Bullseye pretty much fills the case 2/3's up. I thought if I had a specific seating die I could set it to crimp them in a touch. They don't fall out once chambered, and the gun is quite accurate at 5yds. Some of them fall out bouncing around in the ziploc bag.

I've gotta take the chronograph out next time and see just what I'm getting for velocity the way I have them loaded now before I seat deeper.

labradigger1
01-09-2014, 11:23 PM
"Help, my balls keep falling out"
Probably a misdemeaner in most states

AkMike
01-10-2014, 04:21 AM
I was thinking that it would be pretty painful! :shock:

mikeym1a
01-10-2014, 08:02 AM
Yes, the Lee .32 ACP pistol dies are also used for the .32S&W. I've loaded some in the past,and they work just fine.

swamp
01-10-2014, 11:35 AM
Lee makes 32S&W dies. I got a set in trade and work great for loading the little cases. Just keep fingers out of the way.
swamp

Green Frog
01-10-2014, 01:20 PM
On a related note, I must be like the bumblebee who, because nobody ever told him it is aeronautically impossible for him to fly, has done so for millennia. S&W just announced their new die set so we can load 327 Fed Mag, but I've been loading mine with both an old TruLine Jr set labeled 32 S&W and with a pieced-together "full sized" set using a FL carbide sizer for the 32 S&W L and 32 H&R (according to its markings) and a seater marked as made for the 32 S&W and ACP. The moral of all of this? Look at the case and what you need to accomplish... you may be able to do what you need to do with what you've got (or can get easily.) We've gotten too used to reloading solutions being pre-packaged for us by the manufacturers and have quit thinking "out of the box" like our "reloading forefathers" did. Just my 2¢ worth! ;)

Froggie

Green Frog
01-10-2014, 08:17 PM
Back to your original question, Wayne.... Have you thought of seating the round ball below the case mouth and then adding a glued-in card wad? That would take care of your problem.

BTW, to jump to another thread, you asked about rotors for a powder measure and I forgot to mention in my reply that I've been told they are still available from the manufacturer. I don't know this first hand, but it might be worth looking into.

Froggie

WILCO
01-11-2014, 01:38 AM
Some of my balls are falling out ...

There was a parody commercial dealing with this issue...........

nekshot
01-11-2014, 11:13 AM
when I first read the caption I thought, hey get new underwear!