PDA

View Full Version : Precision Shooting Magazine

Moondawg
12-31-2013, 08:31 PM
Anyone know what happened to "Precision Shooting"???? I finally woke up to the fact that it has been over a year since I received an issue, and my subscription didn't expire until this month. I tried calling their ph# and got a no longer in service recording.:(

btroj
12-31-2013, 08:33 PM
They went belly up over a year ago. A shame too, they had some great articles.

jmort
12-31-2013, 08:34 PM
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com/2012/11/precision-shooting-magazine-ceases-publication/

shooterg
12-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Yup, a lot of us ended up not getting anything for the last year's subscription dollars, not even a "sorry" .

GOPHER SLAYER
12-31-2013, 10:35 PM
I never subscribed to the magazine but I really enjoyed it. Several years ago a man brought several boxes of the magazine to the range for people to take and since there was little interest in them. I took almost all of them home. When we moved I had to down size and I gave all away but two or three copies.

Victor N TN
01-01-2014, 12:39 AM
I was an IBS member for about 10 years. We got it as part of the membership. I'm sorry they lost out. They had some good articles for a long time.

btroj
01-01-2014, 12:50 AM
I bet the realities of running a small periodical got them. The nice, glossy paper couldn't have been cheap. Increasing ad and subscription prices enough to stay open would have lost them business.

Still a shame

runfiverun
01-01-2014, 01:59 AM
yeah it's gotta be hard to stay in business and actually write reviews and stuff without the writers being told what to write about the products by the manuf... err sponsors.

Bad Water Bill
01-01-2014, 03:29 AM
I wonder how much longer THE RIFLE and HANDLOADER will survive?

Moondawg
01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
So that's why. I had planned to renew. Now I guess not. I really liked the magazine. Some articles you needed a PhD in engineering to understand, but on the whole they were interesting and informative.

ole 5 hole group
01-01-2014, 06:15 PM
Many years ago I was an NBRSA member and always looked forward to the magazine and reading articles authored by George Fullmer, Mike Walker, Rich Hornbeck and articles from the top-flight shooters of the day.

That magazine published some of the best information available at the time and during the late 70’s and early 80’s it was a simple magazine containing 30 to 40 pages of excellent information.

As with everything, the Good Lord called home some of the ole standby’s that possessed decades of hands on experience and individual craftsmanship gave way to CNC machining etc. It was a different era.

Love Life
01-01-2014, 07:04 PM
yeah it's gotta be hard to stay in business and actually write reviews and stuff without the writers being told what to write about the products by the manuf... err sponsors.

Isn't that the truth. I was reading an issue of "Guns and Weapons for Law Enforcement" and one of the articles was a review of the Remington 700 SPS tactical with a Counter Sniper scope.

1st off the entire Counter Sniper line is an epic fail, but this scope was described as amazing.

2nd the groups posted was over an inch at 100 yds.

The article ranted and raved all about the system. I feel sorry for the person that gets hosed with that combo.

An article I read a couple years ago about Hill Country Rifles also had some ridiculousness in it. They test fired 3 brands of ammo with FGMM posting an avg. of .45 inches. However; the writer ranted and raved over Black hills ammo which avg .67!!!

You know who was greasing his palm. It's to the point where I haven't bought a gun rag in over a year because they all suck.

btroj
01-01-2014, 07:10 PM
I like Handloader and Rifle but haven't had a subscription in a few years. They went too commercial and it became more about reviews of stuff than hard core articles on shooting or reloading.

The other gun rags are just a waste of paper.

Love Life
01-01-2014, 07:11 PM
I liked handloader until about a year ago. It just got stagnant. It kind of sucks, but no new ground is really being broken and they have to appeal to everybody.

B R Shooter
01-02-2014, 07:05 AM
If you knew Dave Brennan, the publisher of PS mag, you would wonder how it staid afloat for as long as it did. Truely an a$$hole. And very much behind the times, no computers, no email. As far as benchrest goes, the articles had been almost non exsistant.

Baron von Trollwhack
01-02-2014, 07:25 AM
Never the less, for many years , a fine magazine.

BvT

Pb2au
01-02-2014, 10:27 AM
I liked handloader until about a year ago. It just got stagnant. It kind of sucks, but no new ground is really being broken and they have to appeal to everybody.

I agree. Stagnant is the perfect description. Mike V publishes some nice articles, but by and large it is a still puddle.
There is more fresh data published here than in most of the gun rags. People here do it for the right reason. To learn.

Bad Water Bill
01-02-2014, 11:08 AM
The ONLY magazine I even pick up at the news stand is HANDLOADER.

I have enjoyed fellow CAST BOOLITS member Mike Vs articles for many years.

Mike is not just a shooter,he pretty much does it all short of publishing the magazine.:grin:

Yes he does publish his own books so he probably could do the publishing as well. Just would not leave him with much time to do what he does so well.

One scribbler several years ago stated you could only shoot ? primers,gr of ? powder and ? sabot bullet combo out of a Savage smokeless M L.

Yes his offering did result in a 1" at 50 yards.

My Savage M L loves a 338 gr PB HP with a commonly available sabot,primer,powder load and I can shoot it all day long into 1" groups AT 100 YARDS and for about 1/10 th the cost of that Professional scribblers.

Isn't this hobby fun?

alamogunr
01-05-2014, 09:29 AM
Precision Shooting was the 2nd periodical by that publisher to go belly up. Three or four years before, The Accurate Rifle ceased publication. I liked it more than Precision Shooting since its articles were slightly more mainstream. I remember one in particular in which the author related experiences after WWII with the "grease gun" and military ammo. If true, it was amazing.

Being a "back issue" junkie, I wish I could fill out my collection of either without going to the poor house.

Finster101
01-05-2014, 09:42 AM
Precision Shooting was the 2nd periodical by that publisher to go belly up. Three or four years before, The Accurate Rifle ceased publication. I liked it more than Precision Shooting since its articles were slightly more mainstream. I remember one in particular in which the author related experiences after WWII with the "grease gun" and military ammo. If true, it was amazing.

Being a "back issue" junkie, I wish I could fill out my collection of either without going to the poor house.

I would like to read that article. My experience with a grease gun is that they are good for getting a lot of lead in a general area. Not exactly tack drivers. Thompsons on the other hand....

alamogunr
01-05-2014, 10:13 AM
I'll see if I can find it. Being a "back issue junkie" has its drawbacks. I can rarely find something I'm looking for in a reasonable length of time.

alamogunr
01-07-2014, 08:35 AM
Well! I've looked thru all my Accurate Rifle issues and couldn't find the article I was looking for. Thinking I may have my magazines mixed up, I'm now looking thru the Precision Shooting issues.

I may never get through them because I'm finding many articles that I either missed the first time or want to re-read. I'll keep looking.

I'm thinking that I might want to try to acquire more back issues of these magazines if I could find them at a reasonable cost. Then the problem would be, how do I hide them from SWMBO.

alamogunr
01-07-2014, 03:38 PM
OK! So much for my memory. I finally found the article in Precision Shooting. These magazines are not in chronological order so I was down to the last 5 before I found the article.

It is in the June, 2009 issue starting on pg 38.

shooterg
01-07-2014, 03:43 PM
I seem to remember one of the Chandlers wrote that article. Somewhere in the basement I have all issues of The Accurate Rifle and maybe 10 years of Precision Shooting. Need to drag 'em out.