PDA

View Full Version : Browning 1886 - replace stock to SB

square butte
11-29-2007, 03:42 PM
I have a Browning 1886 Winchester coppy that i modified to 1/2 magazine and a 20 inch barrel. It' a great configuration for my taste, but would like to replace the crescent buttplate style stock with a Shotgun Butt style stock. It's an original style offered with the "86", and think it would help make my shooting with it a bit more comfortable with my ageing shoulder. Have found a company called Precision Gun Stocks that offers a reasonably priced ($69) replacement ( semi inlet and semi finished )in plain grade walnut. Anyone have any experience with them? Or can anyone recomend another company that carries something similar? Boyds no longer makes a Winchester 1886 stock. I can buy a replacement stock for a Winchester 1886 extra light from Winchester, but cost is $300 before shipping. One drawback to the above mentioned company (PGS) is that they do not offer any higher grades of wood than Plain. If i'm gonna do it, it would be nice to have something with a little figure to the wood. As an asside, let me just say how much i have enjoyed this site and all of you here. Especially your generosity with information. It's a great thing to find such a group of people with common interests of this nature. I come here every day for a little dose of sanity and fun. Anyway, Thanks Again

Red River Rick
11-29-2007, 05:38 PM
Square Butte:

Try these guys:

Wilcox Gun Works
15 Dunlevy Rd.
Cherryville, BC
V0E 2G3
Ph: (250) 547-6480

They can provide you with a 95% inletted blank, whatever style butt-plate you want. I bought a replacement stock from them a number of years ago, 95% inletted, with some nice figure to the wood for my Win 86. After fitting and finishing with Tru-Oil, it turned out pretty good.

Good Luck!

RRR

MtGun44
11-29-2007, 10:17 PM
WOW! Beautiful wood and a fine job of finishing it. Would it be out of line
to ask what a buttstock like that would cost?

Bill

Last Spike
12-01-2007, 04:03 AM
Very nice! Just what I'm looking for.

Lloyd Smale
12-01-2007, 07:41 AM
save yourself some money and just sell me that 86 for 500 bucks!!!!!!
I have a Browning 1886 Winchester coppy that i modified to 1/2 magazine and a 20 inch barrel. It' a great configuration for my taste, but would like to replace the crescent buttplate style stock with a Shotgun Butt style stock. It's an original style offered with the "86", and think it would help make my shooting with it a bit more comfortable with my ageing shoulder. Have found a company called Precision Gun Stocks that offers a reasonably priced ($69) replacement ( semi inlet and semi finished )in plain grade walnut. Anyone have any experience with them? Or can anyone recomend another company that carries something similar? Boyds no longer makes a Winchester 1886 stock. I can buy a replacement stock for a Winchester 1886 extra light from Winchester, but cost is $300 before shipping. One drawback to the above mentioned company (PGS) is that they do not offer any higher grades of wood than Plain. If i'm gonna do it, it would be nice to have something with a little figure to the wood. As an asside, let me just say how much i have enjoyed this site and all of you here. Especially your generosity with information. It's a great thing to find such a group of people with common interests of this nature. I come here every day for a little dose of sanity and fun. Anyway, Thanks Again, Tom

Dale53
12-01-2007, 11:17 AM
Square Butte;
This may be heresy, but I had a similar problem with my Marlin 1895. The sharp plastic curved buttplate just ate my shoulder alive. I took it to a friend, who part times stock making, and cut the butt off and installed a good Packmayr recoil pad. It REALLY improved the shooting comfort. You can also tailor the length to suit yourself. It costs little and you have a MUCH more usable rifle.

It MAY hurt resale, but in the several years that I have had it and hopefully many years ahead, I have a rifle that I can enjoy shooting. After that I don't give a "rats a*s what happens to it.

"That's my story and I'm sticking to it".

Dale53

jfg
12-01-2007, 03:48 PM
I have a Browning 1886 Winchester coppy that i modified to 1/2 magazine and a 20 inch barrel. It' a great configuration for my taste, but would like to replace the crescent buttplate style stock with a Shotgun Butt style stock. It's an original style offered with the "86", and think it would help make my shooting with it a bit more comfortable with my ageing shoulder. Have found a company called Precision Gun Stocks that offers a reasonably priced ($69) replacement ( semi inlet and semi finished )in plain grade walnut. Anyone have any experience with them? Or can anyone recomend another company that carries something similar? Boyds no longer makes a Winchester 1886 stock. I can buy a replacement stock for a Winchester 1886 extra light from Winchester, but cost is $300 before shipping. One drawback to the above mentioned company (PGS) is that they do not offer any higher grades of wood than Plain. If i'm gonna do it, it would be nice to have something with a little figure to the wood. As an asside, let me just say how much i have enjoyed this site and all of you here. Especially your generosity with information. It's a great thing to find such a group of people with common interests of this nature. I come here every day for a little dose of sanity and fun. Anyway, Thanks Again, Tom

Check out this stock maker, I did the same thing to a 1885 Hi Wall (used their stock)and am going to do it my 1886:

http://www.gunstocksinc.com/web%20pages/indexcT_copy(8).html

Bent Ramrod
12-01-2007, 08:45 PM
I got a Precision buttstock with shotgun plate configuration to replace the rather violently customized one on my 1895 Winchester. The inletting was small enough to require some scraping to fit the tangs and it was just a little fat on the outside for sanding down, just as advertised. Worked very well. Wood was utterly plain, but I bought the lowest grade offered.

outsidebear
12-01-2007, 10:21 PM
Check with Treebone Carving, George peterson in New Mexico, he does fine work...
http://www.treebonecarving.com/