PDA

View Full Version : 5.7 x 28

Jbiker
12-31-2013, 06:22 PM
Finally got the2 die set from lyman, including the # 18 shell plate. I had already run the empty brass thru the tumbler once . then I ran the once fired cases thru the deprive and size die. As expected , most , if not all had to have the shoulder pushed back and this caused the case to grow. here is where it got interesting cause now each case had to be trimmed back to 1.135. most were /are around 1.145…the hand trimmer collet won't close up to grag the case . the base is the same as a .25 ACP round. so here is the question….anyone got a better way to trim 5.7 X 28 brass .???? a Gracie trimmer , which is my go to for the AR, 06 and 308 brass, I don't think will work because the case is so short, and the arthritis is so limiting….

also dillion doesn't seem to make conversion kit's for the 5.7 either……..so is anyone else working on this cartridge ???if so what am I missing? yes , I realize this is sort of like self in flexed pain, … but I am curious about this cartridge and would like to shoot the ps 90 but not at the current price for FN ammo !! SUGGESTION'S ???

roysha
12-31-2013, 07:21 PM
Check out the Lyman ACCU-TRIMMER. It uses standard shell holders (which you apparently already have) to position the case.

After having an acquaintance go through all the BS of reloading the 5.7 I strongly doubt I would ever want one in any configuration, especially with the availability of the 22 TCM, plus (relatively speaking) much cheaper factory ammo.

SOFMatchstaff
12-31-2013, 07:47 PM
If I read this right, you are going to load for the PS 90, and you TUMBLED the cases. Might as well throw them away, as you have compromised the
polymer coating on the case, it is necessary to the proper function of the gun.

trim to length is about what you are doing, Oal is dependent on the bullet used. Be very careful with the powder charging, this is a very finicky little beotch...
I machined a bunch of shell plates&buttons for the 550 and I guarantee you it takes some special handling to get it to run smoothly and not lose cases from
what we would expect to be normal loading operations...
If you want to discus this, PM me, its easier to talk than type...

CATTLEMAN
01-01-2014, 03:14 AM
I reload 5.7!!

For the little lee trimmer I have to offset the case in the holder so it will bind and allow me to trim the case. A commercial reloading company is making a trimmer plate for 5.7 for the RCBS trim pro. They are expensive (about 40 bucks) but I plan to order one soon to speed things up as I normally use the Trim Pro anyway.

The biggest hassle for me so far is cleaning up the primer pockets as they are heavily staked. Overall reloading it has been way easier and more straight forward than 99.99999% of the posts about the cartridge on the internet have indicated, which is about what I expected.

I deliberately load to lower the pressure a little to add in a little safety margin. I am just shooting for fun and the targets don't care much about a few 100 fps off the velocity.

I suspect the all the internet hysteria about reloading this cartridge will eventually be it's undoing, but I hope not.

Are you using cast boolits? I have been and the have worked great for me so far.

As for the coating I plan to tumble some cases and try them without the coating to see if it is really necessary or if it is just another internet controversy. If the coating is a real issue, just sell the tumbled cases to bullet swagers as they use them for jackets and buy some more un-tumbled ones.

Hope it works out for you, 5.7 is a really fun cartridge!

Happy New Year!!!!

roysha
01-01-2014, 06:52 PM
The acquaintance to which I referred in the earlier post, deliberately tumbled, (using ceramic media because nothing else would reliably remove it all), the coating off because some was sloughing off in the sizing process and his reloads were looking and functioning very poorly. After that he tried them in the pistol and with the 20 round mag it functions flawlessly. The thirty round, not so well. In his carbine they function just fine but accuracy is horrible. As I understand it, the polymer coating was to aid in feeding from the extended (high capacity) magazines which certainly seems to be the case.