PDA

View Full Version : Powder Sources

Tech2
12-31-2013, 04:26 PM
I was digging around the net this morning and found these guys. All Powder Paints.
They have two products that I was interested in. The anti graphiti clear and the Teflon Black.
www.shop.allpowderpaints.com/TEFLON-SLIP-BLACK-TSSB39344.htm

http://www.shop.allpowderpaints.com/ANTI-GRAFFITI-CLEAR-ANTI-GR-C.htm

What other interesting products have you guys found?

dbosman
12-31-2013, 06:24 PM
Just a head up.
Depending on the law in your area, Teflon coated boolits may not be legal to use or even possess.
The phrase "cop killer" will come up if you do a web search. The actual physics doesn't matter.

bangerjim
12-31-2013, 07:06 PM
As stated...............BEWARE TFE coated!!!!!!!!!

Depending on the make-up/cal/load........they will penetrate Kevlar! Police do NOT like that.

Check with your local and state codes. Most places they are illegal!

banger

prickett
12-31-2013, 07:46 PM
>> they will penetrate Kevlar!

I hope that was intended as sarcasm (yes, I know that is the CLAIM)

It looks like this site has a bunch of different colors/coatings. I especially like their shipping of $6. The shipping is what kills PBtP as an alternative to HF.

Hopefully someone will take the plunge and get some, then report back as to whether it is suitable for dry coating, and whether it holds up to the trip down the barrel.

nighthunter
12-31-2013, 08:17 PM
I have ordered twice from this vendor. I like their powder much better than Harbor Freights. It is a better product line. I believe you get what you pay for and to me most of HF is cheap imported junk. Please don't comment on that if you haven't used powder from other than HF. While you are on all powder paint's site check out their metallic. I'm thinking about ordering a couple pounds to try. That black/red should make an awesome looking boolit. also make sure you read the cooking temps and times listed with each color. Some colors require a top coat or a primer coat to achieve the desired results. Both times I ordered from them my order was delivered 3 business days after the order was placed by Priority Mail.

Nighthunter

These boolits are coated with the dry powder shake-n-bake method. You judge.

prickett
12-31-2013, 10:34 PM
Nighthunter, nice report! Have you found any of their powder that doesn't work using the dry tumble method?

nighthunter
01-01-2014, 12:56 AM
I've purchased 9 colors so far and all of it has been very easy to use. The white and the black gave me some problems at first but I figured out what they needed to work. The boolits shoot very well out of everything I've tried them in. I've had 218 Bee and 30-06 well over 2000 fps with acceptable results. I'll have to fine tune the loads when we get some breaks in the weather. I have most of my handguns under 3 inches at 25 yards. this includes 9mm, 40 S&W, 38 Spl, 357Mag, 45 auto. I,m finding that these bullets need pushed a little faster than top loads for lubed cast bullets. I think the powder coat must reduce friction in the barrel. I also think there will be further developments with the powder coat paint that will allow us to approach jacked velocities at a fraction of the cost. Everyone doing the dry powder coat needs to stay involved and try some of the ideas they get. We might even be able to approach a vendor to see if he could sell us something with a harder resin incorporated into the powder.

Nighthunter

Tech2
01-01-2014, 03:59 AM
Here is a nice map to check your state for teflon restrictions.
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=99006
The only state that looks like it has a ban on Teflon polymer blends is Virginia. per wikipedia
Also remember that it only applies to hand gun ammunition not rifle ammunition.
I am thinking about buying it just to do things like tightening up the bolt on my old Mosin 9130 and shorten the trigger pull.
Black Teflon PC on sloppy bolts and slides oh ya!

prickett
01-01-2014, 10:26 AM
The white and the black gave me some problems at first but I figured out what they needed to work.

Anything the rest of us would be interested in knowing?

nighthunter
01-01-2014, 02:01 PM
Prickett ... I have to apply the white and black powder until the bullets have an almost fuzzy looking coating adhering to them. I just dump my bullets out onto a screen for cooking. I don't try to stand them up on the bases. I make sure there is adequate spacing between the bullets and put them in the oven. If any bullets have touched during the cooking I separate them while they are still hot and there is usually no damage to the finished paint. This is the easiest and cleanest method of applying powder coat that I have found.

Nighthunter

prickett
01-01-2014, 02:12 PM
Nighthunter - I use the same technique with HF paint. It's so dead simple, quick, and effective it should be the mandatory coating method :-)

It sounds like you have better success with this paint than HF. What are the differences you see? More complete coverage? Better durability? I'm very pleased with HF, so if there is an even more effective paint I'd most certainly be interested.

Do you one coat or two coat your boolits?

nighthunter
01-02-2014, 09:04 PM
Prickitt .... that was my personal opinion of the HF powder. It's not going to be everyone's opinion. I like the variety of colors to choose from, the shorter cook times, the lower cook temps on some of the paints and the coverage of 1 coat of paint that I'm using. I like to play with the colors by mixing and adding another color to see how they come out of the oven. I can't do this with HF paint.

On another note .... after putting about 5000 bullets thru my .309 sizing die I found today that my bullets are coming out of the die at .310. Someone else had said something about throat wear in a handgun barrel, which I haven't seen, but did notice the die wear today. It could be spring back. I'm going to have to size some uncoated bullets and see what the result is. Has anyone else noticed anything like this?

Nighthunter