PDA

View Full Version : Iver Johnson solid frame pinned cylinder

Dingo Venison
12-31-2013, 03:19 PM
So I recently purchased one of these little Iver Johnson .32 S&w short revolvers, and discovered through research that it was made sometime between 1900 and 1909, making it a blackpowder gun. I've seen a lot of people saying to only shoot BP while others say the modern ammo is loaded to the same pressure specs. and is useable in the BP guns. I plan to reload lighter rounds anyway, but has anybody fired smokeless powder from one of these firearms. I have a buddy who has some .32 short and i would like to shoot it, but i'm sure it is smokeless, but from what i've read, it should be alright. Thoughts?

dubber123
12-31-2013, 06:04 PM
Personal opinion, but if loaded to the appropriate pressures, smokeless is fine. I have a couple IJ's and a BP era S&W break top in .38 S&W that have all been fired with smokeless. I have never had any indications of a problem lurking. Just my opinion.

Dingo Venison
12-31-2013, 06:33 PM
Personal opinion, but if loaded to the appropriate pressures, smokeless is fine. I have a couple IJ's and a BP era S&W break top in .38 S&W that have all been fired with smokeless. I have never had any indications of a problem lurking. Just my opinion.

Excellent, I think i also have less of a chance of issues with the solid frame over the top break, but if you can shoot smokeless out of the .38 then my reduced loads should be fine. Thanks for the response

dubber123
01-01-2014, 10:06 AM
Of the 2 IJ's I fiddled with, 1 had such a rotted bore it was painful to look down, (freebie gun), and the other has a near mint bore. Guess which one shot better.. I had more fun getting the beater to shoot well, and used it for a few years for pest removal around the house. I loaded a HBWC, and even at the super slow velocities, it was much more effective than a .22 lr.