PDA

View Full Version : BFR woes

Tatume
12-31-2013, 02:07 PM
Hello Folks,

The new BFR 44 Mag revolver is not working out so well. The front sight is at least 1/8” too tall. Of course I can file it down, but that’s a lot of filing that I don’t think I should have to do on a new gun.

More importantly, cast bullets keyhole. At 25 yards they are going through the target completely sideways. Sierra 240 grain HP and Hornady 240 grain XTP bullets seem to shoot alright, and the gun appears to really like Sierra 300 grain bullets. Unfortunately I only had a few of the 300 grain Sierras, so the jury is still out on that one.

Using various jacketed bullets for plug gauges, I determined that the throats are between 0.4295" (Sierra) and 0.4300" (Hornady XTP). I’ve written to Kahr Arms asking if they will ream the throats. I’ll let you know what develops.

Take care, Tom

Doc_Stihl
12-31-2013, 02:26 PM
What do you base the front sight being to tall on? Does the rear sight run out of elevation adjustment before you can get it zero'd?

Have you slugged the bore? If the bore is .4305+ the throats may be the problem.

AlaskanGuy
12-31-2013, 02:28 PM
Definitely need to slug the before before you do anything else....

RobS
12-31-2013, 07:53 PM
Definitely need to slug the before before you do anything else....

Agreed.....slug the bore, but it does seem tight on those cylinder throat diameters.

44man
12-31-2013, 08:28 PM
No information given to assess the situation. Loads and velocity???? The fast twist is for a heavy boolit but at the proper velocity. The fast twist actually should work at a little slower with a heavy boolit then from a 1 in 20" but it will not be much slower. I don't think the BFR will like 240 gr bullets.
I don't have one and have been asking for results.

Tatume
01-01-2014, 12:11 PM
Thinking maybe the Ranch Dog plain base 265 grain bullet is a fault, I decided to continue testing with other bullets. I can't imagine why the RD bullet would keyhole, as it measures 0.432" and is being loaded without sizing. To overcome the sight problem I installed a Burris 2x scope. I'll let you know how it works out.

Tatume
01-01-2014, 12:21 PM
As I was unable to find any Sierra 300 grain bullets anywhere, I ordered 200 Hornady .430 44 Cal 300gr HP/XTP bullets from

http://www.gamaliel.com

We'll see how they stack up against Sierra.

pal82
01-01-2014, 01:32 PM
As they said, slug the bore. Make sure your 44 didn't get the wrong barrel. Things have to be way off to get a boolit tumbling. I caused it once in a new gun when a grabbed a handful of 44mags and put them into a 45 colt. Punched a perfect profile of a 429421 in paper. Elmer would not have been proud.

As for the front sight, call magnum research, they will send you a shorter one free.

ole 5 hole group
01-01-2014, 06:23 PM
As for the front sight, call magnum research, they will send you a shorter one free.

^^^ What he said. I think they make 3 different front sight heights, which should have been included.

Tatume
01-01-2014, 07:15 PM

I think they make 3 different front sight heights, which should have been included.

Interesting. I searched the box to make sure I hadn't overlooked any front sights; there are none. I then read the literature and sure enough, it says they make a full complement of front sights to suit any shooter. It does not say they are included with the gun. Anyway, if I don't hear back from them in a couple of days I'll call.

Thanks, Tom

35remington
01-02-2014, 12:42 AM
"I can't imagine why the RD bullet would keyhole, as it measures 0.432" and is being loaded without sizing."

A .432" bullet won't stay .432" when it's fired through a .4295" throat.

If the barrel is then larger than that dimension, you have a.........keyholing bullet.

pal82
01-02-2014, 12:44 AM
I needed a taller sight. Called them. Had it in 3 days, no charge. They were very nice on the phone. Guy told me there were 2 guys in the BFR shop. The thought that only 2 guys build all the BFR's is kind of special.

Tatume
01-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Hello Folks,

Today I shot the BFR 44 Magnum at 25 yards again. As the front sight is much too tall I installed a Burris 2x pistol scope in Warne rings and the Weaver-style base supplied by BFR. The ammo was loaded in Starline cases using Sierra and Hornady XTP 300 grain bullets, with H110 and Federal magnum pistol primers. The charge was the maximum from the Hodgdon web site, which is less than maximum in the Sierra and Hornady loading manuals.

As can be seen in the accompanying photographs, the bullets are definitely tipping. I’m going to return the gun to Davidson’s under their 100% satisfaction guarantee. I could go directly to Magnum Research, but then I have to pay the shipping; Davidson’s will send a call tag.

I’m disappointed, as I really like the gun. But if they return it and it shoots well, I’ll like it much more.

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/Moscheutos/IMGP4048_zps6a4f2e27.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/Moscheutos/IMGP4050_zps9d6b39a4.jpg

http://i252.photobucket.com/albums/hh7/Moscheutos/IMGP4045_zps30d6e195.jpg

Take care, Tom

Dale53
01-10-2014, 02:40 PM
It appears to me that you definitely have a problem. I am sure that it will be addressed. Over many years of buying a variety of different handguns, I have had a few that had problems. I can remember (still grit my teeth over it) when Smith was owned by Bangor Punta I had two nearly new revolvers that mechanically failed (bad parts). They refused to do it on their nickel. I had to pay for repairs, and they weren't even nice about it. My dealer did everything he could for me, but all in vain.

The upside was, the revolvers were fixed correctly and I still have them. Before and after Bangor Punta, Smith has treated their customers well, in my experience. Such is life...

Hopefully, BFR will fix things for you.

It could be nothing more than those undersize throats. Ruger has been noted for both undersize AND oversize throats. So have Smith and Wesson. Boy, when those throats are right, tho', the revolvers shoot like they are supposed to! I am sure that the BFR will, also.

Good luck! and keep us posted on the final outcome. When companies step up to the plate and fix things, we need to know that, also. IMHO, BFR should have paid for sending the revolver back to the factory for repairs..

Dale53

Tatume
01-10-2014, 07:39 PM
Hi Dale,

BFR will make the gun right, I'm certain, and I'm always pleased to be able to give good reports. BFR probably would have picked up the tab on the shipping too, but it was much simpler for me to let the dealer and distributor handle it. I'm looking forward to a good relationship with them.

Thanks for your note.

Take care, Tom

pal82
01-11-2014, 09:52 PM
Please post a follow up when you get the gun back. I'm confident MR will make things right for you. That BFR should be the most accurate six gun you can buy for the money.

44man
01-12-2014, 03:25 PM
I have 3 BFR's and have worked with many that friends own, maybe eleven all told. Slugged all and found nothing put perfect dimensions.
I think it is the twist rate in the .44 BFR that needs fed different and I wish the Ruger's had the faster rate myself because I like the heavy boolits.
But still, they might have screwed up and put the wrong barrel on, it happens so I will wait for results.

Tatume
01-29-2014, 07:44 PM
The gun was exchanged for a new one. I was not told what the problem was. I'm satisfied.

pal82
01-30-2014, 02:12 AM
Glad to hear it worked out.