PDA

View Full Version : Havin' a Blast with a New Shooter

Silver Jack Hammer
12-31-2013, 11:19 AM
I'm really enjoying lately my cousin getting into the firearms world, he is over 50 and his work recently found him in the woods at a construction site staying in a trailer. It all started when he reported to the Sheriff bear sign and weird people around the area. The Sheriff told him to get a gun. So he called me and asked which one. Since then he's purchased a couple Ruger varieties, a Vaquero and a Super Redhawk and we have had a couple range sessions. Unfortunately for us he comments how people in gunshops have rang to bell at the top of the pole with over emotion to his questions and comments making him want to leave and not come back in. We in the sport of shooting and in the shooting industry should welcome newcomers, Roy Huntington wrote a very fine article about this in a past issue.

Anyway, his timing in entering the shooting arena is poor as prices are high and availability is low. He started out with dragon snot loads and the predicable anticipation. Within no time I got him on .38 Special loads, 150 gr cast boolits, wheel weight alloy Alox lube and 3.5 gr of Trail Boss on NRA targets on the 10 to 15 yard line in a Ruger 3 screw Blackhawk.

It's been very rewarding for me to watch a new shooter develop his way and point him in the right direction and provide proper ammo. To see him go from flinch to center of bull marksmanship.

Silver Jack Hammer
12-31-2013, 01:00 PM
I forgot to mention that I did have my cousin shoot a few .45 Schofield 230 gr 452374's loaded with 6.8 gr of Unique for about 830 fps in a New Model Blackhawk 4 3/4" with checkered wood stocks. This load was max for him at this point of his shooting.

Fire_Medic
12-31-2013, 01:13 PM
Awesome story thanks for sharing. One of the first times I shot early on a friend was teaching me with his Series 70 Colt 1911 45 ACP, and his 44 Mag SA Ruger with a 6" barrel. Both guns were extremely accurate and fun to shoot.

A persons experience early on with firearms greatly dictates how much they will/will not get involved with firearms.

FM

Love Life
12-31-2013, 02:37 PM
Enjoy the fun! When are you going to introduce him to the Colt SAA?

w5pv
12-31-2013, 03:24 PM
Good luck to both of you.

Frank46
01-01-2014, 02:38 AM
I've had the opportunity to have a few people asking if they could shoot a handgun that I was shooting. At that time was shooting a tricked out Springfield armory 1911 45 with 230 grain lead bullets and it was an accurate load.
One lady shooter asked if it would kick. My reply was yes it does but if you hold it properly neither the recoil or noise will hurt in the least. Loaded 1 mag with 1 round and she shot it and hit pretty close to where I was shooting. Then she asked if she could shoot some more. Loaded 5 rounds and she shot again. Then she shocked me by saying I gotta get me one of these. May have hooked another shooter. Also helps if your load is accurate as nothing can be more discouraging if they cannot hit anything. Frank

Silver Jack Hammer
01-01-2014, 11:45 AM
Frank46, Your story reminds me of a pin shoot I used to attend, this one guy usually won, he had a nice 1911 which had been customized, honed and worn. One night as we got down to the finals, this guy's wife was tied with him. She asked to use her husband's 1911 so of course he let her and she won. I like to say the gun doesn't matter that much, it's the shooter but I'll always remember that gun winning. We all hooted and howled when she beat him fair and square with his gun.

CastingFool
01-01-2014, 11:53 AM
A while back a friend had a shooting day at his house, and invited a whole bunch of friends and their family. I took my 7-1/2" RBH, 45LC. One guy's wife, who loves to shoot, asked if she could shoot it. Well, she loved it! I was using some Lee 452-255 SWC's. Also used some of those in her husband's Taurus Judge. It is fun to see how a newbie reacts to a firearm, and develop their skills.

Wag
01-01-2014, 01:43 PM
I love teaching people to shoot. Especially women and little kids. They listen to what you tell them and do it. And shoot very well as a result. Teaching men is fun, too, but they have a tendency to be a bit macho and hard-headed!

The wiff outshoots most people we know if she's practiced up. I have to work hard to keep up with her!

--Wag--