PDA

View Full Version : lights on H/D gun ?

LUCKYDAWG13
12-30-2013, 08:55 PM
last night we had a bump in the night had to do the house walk through at like 3am
just turned out to be a rabbit in the window well. got my heart going though so do you
have a light on your pistol or shotgun ?
can you recommend one that wont break the bank
thanks

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 09:27 PM
I have a light on mine, always! Especially with kids in the house.

Don't know what your budget is, I LOVE my SureFire X300, I have an older model that I bought used for a great price. You can look for one of those. I like it because it mounts easy to my Pistols and my AR and I run it on both for training purposes.

The Streamlight TLR-1 is a solid light too which can be had for a decent price used as well.

Just my $0.02

FM

dbosman
12-30-2013, 10:54 PM
I recommend, and have, X10 type controllers. I plan to scare the hell out of any bumpers in the night. That and a Biden approved shotgun in the closet. With the computer controlled setup you can step the lights to make it look like you're moving through the house. Recorded (very large) dog sounds would add an extra perk to the perp.
A real dog would add a warming pad to the bed and your lap. Even if it isn't a lap dog.

shooting on a shoestring
12-30-2013, 11:07 PM
Every monkey has his own swing......here's mine...
I use a high output LED flashlight and keep it beside the nightstand revolver. I also keep a couple of lights on in a few strategic places in the house so its never totally dark. I want enough light to make a shoot/no shoot decision inside the house without using a flashlight. The flashlight goes with me if I need to investigate outside the house. Then I can have the revolver either ready, or concealed as the situation call for.

If the light was on the gun, I might not want to be looking around pointing a ready to go gun scanning the neighbors bushes.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-30-2013, 11:22 PM
If the light was on the gun, I might not want to be looking around pointing a ready to go gun scanning the neighbors bushes

thats a good point i either need a dedicated house gun with a light or practice with a good flashlight in hand

RED333
12-30-2013, 11:42 PM
A light will give you tunnel vision, ya wont see anything out side the beam.
That said, I keep a few lights around the house as others do.
Keeping one mounted to a firearm is, well, bad idea.
You walk out side, LEO is around and you shine you light on him, bad things can happen.
They are trained to defend them self's when someone points a firearm at them.

HawkCreek
12-30-2013, 11:52 PM
Lights on the handguns (that will take them), light on a shotgun, light on an AR and handheld lights as well. I guess you could say I have a lot of lights. A bright light wont give you tunnel vision it's lack of training that does that. Tac. lights takes training just like anything else involving guns and social work.

Surefire makes great lights but there are other companies out there that make a good lights as well.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-31-2013, 12:07 AM
thank you all for the replys i will put a good light on my shotgun first

HeavyMetal
12-31-2013, 01:06 AM
Trained to use a flash light with pistol in the Harries technique, good quality push button flash light held in weak hand, pistol in strong hand, Flash light held so middle finger could push momentary button as needed to clear targets.

weak and strong hands held back to back in an isometric exercise. very stable with practice, easier to get in and out of, should you be outside checking things ( bad idea after dark by the way) a light attached to a firearm makes you a target.

A flash light with a momentary switch is best, it's only on to do a quick check and off before you " print" yourself if your not standing still, LOL!

I will also take a cheap shot at night sights! If it's to dark to see your sights at arms length it's to dark to be shooting at things you can't see!

Unless it is charging or shooting at you let it be on it's way! Bad enough to deal with the aftermath of a shooting without finding out ya drilled a lost 10 year old!

Buy the best Flash light you can afford and the brightest, but do get one with the right switch on it and practice with it!

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-31-2013, 02:01 AM

Love Life
12-31-2013, 02:22 AM
Surefires are the bomb diggity. Get a bright enough flashlight and the tunnel gets bigger.....

A light on the gun is very convenient, but a stand alone handheld light is good to have as well.

Bzcraig
12-31-2013, 02:25 AM
I do have a dedicated house handgun with a light on it. I also am a bit of a flashlight fan so there are a few around the house too.

Valerko
12-31-2013, 06:35 PM
I have light on my glock and flashlight near my shotgun.
Also night lights thru out the house.
Flashlights are more for when power goes out.
If I hear small "bump" at night , I'm using house lights.
I hear a big one , I'm "hunkering down" in bedroom , calling 911 and let the "big bump" come to me. :):):)

pmer
12-31-2013, 09:49 PM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222792-Wiljen-Lights-in-time-for-Christmas

I've used these lights for several years now. They are the brightest lights around and I've used them with HGs and rifles/SGs in the dark. Most notable was the finishing shot after tracking my big deer last November. I even got the corded pressure switch and rail mount but haven't really needed it. I just hold it weak hand.

Don't spend a $100.00 plus if you can get a Wilijen light. Top line SureFire is over $250 plus rechargables and I seriously doubt its any better than Wiljen's. I should get get a light on my Glock but you couldn't see it's beam if the WJ light is on high.

357Ruger
01-01-2014, 01:47 AM
I never understood the light on a home defense gun, if there is a bad guy and he is armed it makes a great target for him to shoot. I always keep the light separate from the gun and hold it away from my body, better to be shot in the hand than center mass. It also keeps me from muzzle painting something or somebody I don't intend to shoot.

Lloyd Smale
01-01-2014, 08:37 AM
thats what i use on my shotguns. I also have an old surefire that cost probably 5 times as much back in the day and thats not factoring in inflation. The wijen light blows it away, twice as bright and twice the battery life. .
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?222792-Wiljen-Lights-in-time-for-Christmas

I've used these lights for several years now. They are the brightest lights around and I've used them with HGs and rifles/SGs in the dark. Most notable was the finishing shot after tracking my big deer last November. I even got the corded pressure switch and rail mount but haven't really needed it. I just hold it weak hand.

Don't spend a $100.00 plus if you can get a Wilijen light. Top line SureFire is over $250 plus rechargables and I seriously doubt its any better than Wiljen's. I should get get a light on my Glock but you couldn't see it's beam if the WJ light is on high.

DX250
01-01-2014, 11:31 AM
I keep a separate Wilijen light on the night stand for the reason, don't point a gun at anything you are not willing to destroy. As for night sights I do have them but not for the obvious reasons, I have them to be-able to find the gun on the night stand in the dark.

Larry Gibson
01-01-2014, 01:40 PM
Lots of tacticool lights to put on most any gun. Many, many good reasons listed not to put one on your gun.....all very sensible. One additional is that in a confrontation people most often shoot at what they see or where they are looking. That's why most shots go high in a stress situation.

My real consideration not to use the light on the gun or along side the gun is this; if the bad guy(s) shoot they shoot at what they see which is the light. If you are behind the light...guess what? Yes the light on the gun or held next to it in the IDPA matches, etc. provide the best times and best scores and ergo is "tacticool" but those targets don't shoot back. I was trained as an LEO to hold the light out to the side for that reason. I also trained officer survival for that reason. I played "bad guy" in many scenarios and if I shot at what I saw, even when blinded by a bright light, I shot at the light....it's just instinctive. I've also watched hundreds of Marines and Soldiers do entry in MOUT scenarios as a controller (I was running/controlling the insurgents and roll players). All the marines and soldiers had lights on there M4/M16s. I always thought, just shoot the light and you hit the guy holding it or the weapon. Or simply shoot through the wall where the Soldier/Marine was immediately behind the light....if I had my M14:-D

Though I have and can put a light on my P14 and AR I don't. To me it is not tactically sound, especially as a civilian. Red333 gave the best reason; "You walk out side, LEO is around and you shine you light on him, bad things can happen.". Before you "go a looking for a bad guy you or someone should have called 911 so the police should be on the way. If they show up quickly (they do sometimes) and come in the house.....very bad things can happen if you point inadvertently point the flashlight attached to a firearm in their general direction. Best to reholster or lay the gun down and keep the flashlight in hand pointed at the ground/floor. As a former LEO training officer I can attest that many officers are not all that well trained regardless of the "official" hype.

Larry Gibson

LUCKYDAWG13
01-01-2014, 02:28 PM
thank you Larry that was helpful i will put nightlights in all the rooms
that need them in i will also keep a good flashlight at the ready too
thank you all

Lloyd Smale
01-02-2014, 08:14 AM
I think larry made some valid points for some circumstances. As for me if someones in my home at night they dont belong there period. I dont think a police officer is going to barge in unanounced. Every city, state and county police officer around here knows i have a lot of weapons and arent stupid enough to barge in. As to outside again i know there not coming unanounced. there comming with sirens and lights. Also when you do use a weapons light the correct way isnt to turn it on and leave it on its to bump it when you feel it is absolutely nessisary. Ive got momentary switches on every gun I have a light on. As to carrying a light in the other hand some will argue that theyd rather have there other arm free to do other things like defending themselves or reloading there weapon.

Larry Gibson
01-02-2014, 01:08 PM
As to carrying a light in the other hand some will argue that theyd rather have there other arm free to do other things like defending themselves or reloading there weapon.

Lloyd

We all make our own personal decisions based on our circumstance. You state yours and I state mine based on our own circumstances. Where I live now and where I lived before the police don't/didn't know squat about me and what I had in the house. They are only going to know what the dispatchers tell them. If you've told them you are armed and looking for the bad guy the arriving officers may or may not show caution.

As to carrying a light in the other hand some will argue that theyd rather have there other arm free to do other things like defending themselves or reloading there weapon.

I've been in lots of "personal" confrontations at night with a flashlight in one hand. It can be used or easily dropped if necessary and never ever posed a problem. If you need to reload in a HD shooting situation (extremely rare to the point of almost unheard of) the flashlight should have been dropped well before the gun was empty and that hand should be supporting the handgun.....just based on lots of real world LEO experience.

Again; not telling anyone not to put the flashlight on the weapon. Do so if you want. Just saying I won't and why I won't. My decision is based on not what others "argue" but on my own real world experience searching many houses, other buildings and outdoors at night for bad guys who were armed and unarmed. It is also based on studying many other incidents for lessons learned and setting up many training scenarios to learn what works and what doesn't work so well.

All that and not to mentioned dealing with citizen/home owners who were armed and unarmed in those situations. Meeting an armed citizen who is hyped because a burglar or whatever has been in his house can be "exciting" to say the least. Most such citizens have absolutely no tactical training, little to no firearms training and their situation awareness is very tunnel visioned at that moment. As I, and red333, said.....bad things can and do happen....we read about them all the time on this forum and in the papers.........

Larry Gibson

300savage
01-02-2014, 04:24 PM
I never understood the light on a home defense gun, if there is a bad guy and he is armed it makes a great target for him to shoot. I always keep the light separate from the gun and hold it away from my body, better to be shot in the hand than center mass. It also keeps me from muzzle painting something or tsomebody I don't intend to shoot.

prezactly,,, light on your firearm is a dam good way to get shot..

Artful
01-02-2014, 08:52 PM
After having taken a course on night fighting I decided Lights mounted to long guns good
- lights mounted to pistols not so good.
Highly recommend taking good instruction for defensive use of weapons. Force on Force and
any specialized uses you think you might need.

I have several powerful lights for hand carry for use with handguns
but no handguns with lights mounted on them.
I have mounted a Laser on several handguns - but that's a different question.
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=66529&d=1365217493

Examples:
LOTS o Light for outdoors use - over 200 lumen
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/278.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/278.jpg.html)

CQB 9v light about 200 lumens
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/Remington8703gunshotty_zpsb267d37e.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/Remington8703gunshotty_zpsb267d37e.jpg.html)

CQB 6 Volt for special use - 90 lumen
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/301.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/301.jpg.html)

Love Life
01-02-2014, 11:36 PM
Surefires are extremely bright, and are hard to stare into when you go from a dim/dark room to HOLY JESUS BRIGHT LIGHT IN MY FACE!!!

Those lights work and work well.

I understand there are concerns about flagging family members. Just don't be retarded and shoot one of them. It's truly that simple. Do I advocate swinging muzzles at your family just cause? No. However, keep your finger off the trigger and you have no worries about shooting them...or...or...or practice your weapon presentations so when you cross friendlies you automatically lower the muzzle and then bring the muzzle back up when done sweeping past the friendlies.

Yes, the enemy will shoot at the light but they miss...a lot when shooting at the light.

Most people breaking into your castle are untrained and probably aren't too familiar with their gun.

In the end you need to choose what works for you and practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice, practice.

Until you save up and get a set of NVG's and an IR laser your options are limited to leaving all lights in the house on or using a flashlight.

GabbyM
01-03-2014, 02:03 AM
Picked up one of Wiljens lights a few months ago and clipped it onto my heavy AR-15. Since that's the one with rails. Set up for night hunting coyote.

It's nice and I don't have to turn it on during a SD situation if I don't want to. Is on there for four legged varmints. Like the raccoons that killed and ate the kittens last year. As far as finding bad guys. That's what dogs are for. Then my spouse will be backing me up so if they do shoot me they are in serous trouble. We don’t have any crime issues around here because any crook with a brain knows we’d just kill them and use there carcass for fertilizer. With any luck you could get it done quite so the kids could sleep through it and not be traumatized.

This whole concept of tolerating people who attack your home truly has not sunk in out in rural America.

Lloyd Smale
01-03-2014, 07:55 AM
Im with love life. I just cant see myself shooting something i dont want shot. I wouldnt be charging through the house with my finger on the trigger. I also dont see much differnce in it being on the gun or in my hand. Most are going to just shoot in the general direction anyway. Bottom line is the safest place would probably be where they intend to shoot. I know too that with a good light its about impossible to actually aim at it because its not comfortable to look at one. try it sometimes your instincts will have you shooting away from it. Like larry said this is a personal thing. theres probably not a right or wrong answer. everyone has a differnt situation and enviroment. What ever your using practice at least a couple times to make sure it works and keep your @@@@@@@ finger off then trigger until you intend to shoot something.

gray wolf
01-04-2014, 02:24 PM
Well I must agree that it is a personal thing, but personally I wouldn't clear a house or a room wearing a head lamp, so why simulate one with a weapon mounted light on my handgun ?
Also I sure wouldn't bet all my beans that the bad guy is not a good shot or might miss, or maybe he wont look directly into the light. Then again it's a personal thing. As for the finger on the trigger ?? all I can say is some folks should not have firearms, at least till they know how to use them.

osteodoc08
01-04-2014, 09:27 PM

TLR1-s attached to my Sig P226 Tac Ops. It's 20+1 as it stands.

I combine that with a StreamLight LED HL and extra magazine with 20.

Last bump in the night the misses freaked out and started kicking me in the back to get up (I'm not a heavy sleeper mind you and was up in 2 kicks and was pretty pissed). She swore up and down she heard something. All the dogs were just chilling. I got up, searched the entire house on all 3 levels and outside. Didn't find anything. Our alarm system wasn't breached either (for whatever that's worth).

Edit: if you add ANY piece of equipment to a firearm, it needs to be tested. Some of the Glock G22 models had issues with weapons lights attached.