PDA

View Full Version : Another 7.62 x 39 deer kill (or two)

OBXPilgrim
12-30-2013, 08:13 PM
Well, first I want to say - "It wasn't my idea", and I have avoided this situation in the past.

I contemplated even posting this on the forum because of the flak I may catch about posting it, but, it was fairly unusual.

It was the last day of deer season here in Western NC and for gun season this year my brother had hit me up to borrow a rifle with a scope on it. He's been having some eye problems this year and the day after Christmas he had cataract surgery on one eye & going to get the other done soon. Of course, to help him out I gave him my H&R Handi rifle in 7.62x39 - nice little compact gun with a 2x7 Nikon scope. With the scope at 2 power & wearing 3.00 reading glasses and his contacts, he said he could get enough light in to see pretty good. Now, he'd also been driving, and not hitting everything or cleaning out the ditches, so I knew he could see somewhat decent but picking up on a front sight bead might have been out of the question. The 7.62x39 Handi is a good shooter with a 311407 180gr boolit pushed to 1880fps by H4895 powder - I know there are probably better powder choices, but I'd rather not have another powder on the shelf. That rifle has worked before for me in the short range area we hunt.

We'd hunted several days on the last week of the season which happens to be doe days for the whole week (north of Hwy19 in Yancey county). Like most of the season, we hadn't seen squat. The last day had a forecast of rain, with some high wind as well. A front was coming through later so we didn't know what things would be like. We both had fairly well sheltered stands/blinds to hunt in (both are his) - one being a ground blind (that he was in) at the end of cul-de-sac that left a short 35yd shot over a well depleted former bait pile. I was up on top of the ridge in an enclosed tent-style ladder stand that gave the appearance of a dry enclosure.

We both got in the stands right as daylight was breaking and an hour before the rain started. My paperback about the Recon marines in Vietnam kept me from getting the least bit sleepy as if the bouncing I got a the driving blown rain would have anyway. We'd talked about staying in the stands all day - didn't have a whole lot to loose except time. Around 1:30pm the rain stopped and the fog rolled in, in thick waves. That eerie feeling of anticipation, just knowing something should happen at any time made it hard to get through another page of my book, so I put it away and tried my best to put a deer's horn or ear outline on every piece of tree limb and moving leaf I looked at for the next two hours.

Then I got that text on my cell phone - the ole butt had just had too much & my brother was going to pack it in. Texted him back & said that I understood - but with the current conditions it might be the wrong time to leave. I suggested standing up for a while - I'd already had to a couple times earlier and it helped a bunch. Well, 10 minutes later he texted back that it looked like I was right as 2 does came in. Then, 10 more minutes he texted back that 2 more larger does came in. I jokingly texted him to "flip the switch to full auto - and let the big hog eat" (obviously been reading too much about the Recon Marines). I heard his shot about 10 minutes later and kind of wondered what took so long (figured one of them got nosey & walked up to him). Then heard another shot about 5 minutes later. Thought I'd better go help, so I packed up real quick & made my way down to him as quick as I dared, making as much noise as I could (I did say he couldn't see too good). He whistled at me from out in the woods in front of his stand as he was dragging two does back. Being a bit confused, he explained that the 2nd shot was a follow-up on first deer he shot - which caused me a little more confusing until he explained that he waited until one deer got in front of the other & then he shot through both of them - since I'd told him those cast boolits penetrate so well. Well, I had told him that they do, but never thought he'd try that. The 311407 was a double pass through, and the 2nd deer, a larger doe, only went about 25 yards before it piled up. I guess he wasn't lined up as well on the smaller doe in front - the one that needed the follow up.

I've heard of this happening accidentally a few times before, but not purposely. I think I've reinforced how lucky he was and doubt it will become habit.

CastingFool
12-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Good story. I always hope that happens to me, but so far, it hasn't. Maybe I need to be more patient.

TheGrimReaper
12-30-2013, 09:32 PM
I love it!!! Great story and memory!!!

Hickok
01-31-2014, 06:10 PM
I had the same thing happen when my son shot his first deer. I was spotting for him, and gave him the "Good to go". When he fired, two does went down, dead. I didn't even the second deer behind the first one. He was using a Rem. 700 in 708.

Camba
01-31-2014, 07:28 PM
Excellent story! I am trying to learn more on cast boolit with the 7.62x39. That will be my next rifle choice in single action.

Wolfer
01-31-2014, 11:08 PM
Not with cast but I had it happen once with my 30-06 and 165 sierras.

Larry Gibson
02-01-2014, 09:05 PM
That's a great hunt that you and your brother will still be sharing in the years to come. Awesome!

Larry Gibson

OBXPilgrim
02-01-2014, 09:51 PM
Thank you very much folks for all the kind words.

By the way, I just saw my older brother last night, he'd just gotten the other eye fixed the day before. It wasn't doing as good as the first fixed eye, still a little fuzzy, but he said much better than it had been. Looks like he'll be back at it again next year. Now maybe he'll let my try some boolits in his 30-30 Win94.

Smoke4320
02-14-2014, 05:44 PM
great story and will become a good memory as well.. Thanks for sharing

10x
02-16-2014, 11:47 AM
Great story!

What is the load you are using in 7.62x39 for the 311407? I have a Russian single shot that I want to shoot heavy cast bullets from.

BTW, the 311407 will shoot the full length of a mule deer doe - texas heart shot - following the spine (breaking every rib on the right side of the deer at the spine) and ending up under the hide in the neck) at 15 yards when shot out of a 303 Brit at 1450 fps.

kwilfong
02-16-2014, 11:50 AM
Did that once myself with my Siamese Mauser 45/70.

Nrut
02-16-2014, 11:37 PM
Great story!

What is the load you are using in 7.62x39 for the 311407? I have a Russian single shot that I want to shoot heavy cast bullets from.

BTW, the 311407 will shoot the full length of a mule deer doe - texas heart shot - following the spine (breaking every rib on the right side of the deer at the spine) and ending up under the hide in the neck) at 15 yards when shot out of a 303 Brit at 1450 fps.
10X,
Did your 311407 show any expansion on that doe you shot with it?
What was you alloy?
I shoot a 311407 out of my CZ 527 in 7.62X39 using H4895..
Should work good in your single shot..

To be perfectly frank most here on this site are hunting with watered down .308 and 30-06 loads that are the same velocity as the 7.62X39 and 30-30..

10x
02-17-2014, 12:48 PM
10X,
Did your 311407 show any expansion on that doe you shot with it?
What was you alloy?
I shoot a 311407 out of my CZ 527 in 7.62X39 using H4895..
Should work good in your single shot..

To be perfectly frank most here on this site are hunting with watered down .308 and 30-06 loads that are the same velocity as the 7.62X39 and 30-30..

Using WW with about 0.5% tin added there was very little expansion on recovered 311407 bullets - even the bullet that had broke every rib along the spine. The nose of that bullet had some marks in it but no expansion.

I will have to get H4895 if it ever becomes available locally.
You are right about cast bullets making the 308, 30-30, 303 Brit, and 30/06 equal. A 311407 bullet at 1450 feet per second does not care what cartridge it was loaded in.

I have found that velocity is a trade off for expansion - small caliber bullets hard enough to reach higher velocities are too hard to expand when they hit game. With softer bullets accuracy falls off at 1500 - 1700 fps - but they expand well on light game like mule deer.
A soft lead 180gr or 200gr bullet at 1400 fps out of a 303 is more than enough to give a one shot kill on a deer under 75 yards. Shot placement counts.