PDA

View Full Version : Custom fishing molds?

FishingFool
12-30-2013, 07:04 PM
Does any bullet mold maker fool with custom fishing molds?

dkf
12-30-2013, 07:09 PM
They are usually not of a design which can be cut with a cherry or bored on a lathe. Work for 3+ axis cnc mill.

AlaskanGuy
12-30-2013, 07:25 PM
I see a ton of different jig molds... Have thought many times about getting one to make halibut jigs

country gent
12-30-2013, 07:37 PM
I cast jigs for awhile. Putting the hooks in a hot mold so the head could be poured around them was fun.

dkf
12-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Casting jig heads is the only way I can get jig heads with quality hooks these days. Plus in different hook sizes. When you can find commercial made jig heads with decent hooks they are usually stupid expensive. I machined a couple do it molds so I can use bigger hooks. The one so I can make 1/4 oz jig heads with #1-3/0 Mustad ultra point hooks.

FishingFool
12-31-2013, 03:43 AM
Dfk, info please bc I need to make mostly 1/4, 3/8 oz jig heads for the 3.5" h&h cacahoes or similar plastics and the 4" queen size cacahoes. That mustard hook looks very promising.

bobthenailer
12-31-2013, 09:47 AM
I have used various DO IT brand fishing moulds ! they may be the best avaliable ? they work pretty well compaired to Palmer moulds but not as fast as bullet moulds as you have to cut the sprue with a pair of side cuts from the jig or sinker ect after it is removed from the mould & cooled, there are many styles avaliable

Walter Laich
12-31-2013, 10:17 AM
Dfk, info please bc I need to make mostly 1/4, 3/8 oz jig heads for the 3.5" h&h cacahoes or similar plastics and the 4" queen size cacahoes. That mustard hook looks very promising.

It's like reading a foreign language in English!!

dale2242
12-31-2013, 12:33 PM
Google Do-It molds.
They have what you need....dale

dkf
12-31-2013, 02:29 PM

I use Do-It barbed collar molds myself but they make other designs. To get the larger hooks to fit I had to machine out the hook eye pockets in the mold quite a bit larger for the larger and longer hook eye. I also had to remove a small amount of material from the mold where the hook point is so the larger hooks will lay flat. You may need to put a hook in every other cavity on the largest hooks so the mold will close.

Mustad offers 2 versions of the Ultra Point hooks a standard version and the 2X strong versions. The 2X strong hooks have a very thick wire diameter and if you use those the mold will need to be opened up some to allow for the larger diameter. For my needs the standard versions are strong enough. These hooks are very sharp, have a generous gap size and have a black nickel coating. The black nickel coating really helps to prevent rusting. I have always hated bronze hooks because they are so rust prone even in fresh water. They end up rusting in the tackle box before you can use them.

Standard http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/mustad-aberdeen-jig-hooks/810104.aspx

2X Strong http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/mustad-aberdeen-jig-hooks/810118.aspx

I use a lot of big bulky 3"-4" twister tail grubs for walleye and the 2/0 to 3/0 32746BLN hooks work very well. The 3/0 will even work well on smaller swim baits or longer plastic worms.