PDA

View Full Version : Grain Mills - Thinking of getting one, but which/where?

OeldeWolf
12-30-2013, 04:33 PM
I am looking for a grain mill. Manual, electric, or both.

My thinking has produced the following reasons. With my health not what it was, better nutrition is always a thought. As is better tasting products. I only use 1 loaf a week of bread, and occasional baking projects. (too much baking shows up on my waistline!)

I am also thinking ahead to emergencies/etc.

And economics, of course. Now on a fixed/limited income, economics had to show up, correct?

What do you use/recommend, and where do you recommend purchasing it from?

Reg
12-30-2013, 06:02 PM
The Grain Maker from Bitteroot Tool and Machine out of Montana is not the cheapest out there, might be one of the more expensive really but it is just flat incredibly well made, will easily last several lifetimes and it works --- period.
That being said you need to consider that any manually operated grinder will take some effort to work. If you don't like a little bit of upper body work out you might want to consider a electric but then again they are not too reliable when the power goes out.

smokeywolf
12-30-2013, 06:16 PM
We will eventually purchase an electric. For now, we use a Wondermill Jr. which is quite a workout. Even for just a loaf of bread.

smokeywolf

dbosman
12-30-2013, 07:00 PM
Small or inexpensive = workout
Hand turned burr mills that make good flour = workout

AlaskanGuy
12-30-2013, 07:29 PM
I have one... It fits on my wifes kitchen aide mixer... It is wonderful... Grinds all sorts of different grains... Here is a pic....92036

Unless you are doing a large quanity, this is all you need... Been using this one for about 8 years.... Love it...

AG

Monttexan
12-30-2013, 07:57 PM
We bought 2 about a year ago. A Wondermill (electric) and a Wondermill Jr. (hand cranked.) Wife doesn't remember for sure what site she ordered them from. She did a bunch of research, and once she decided what we wanted :) she started looking around for the best price. The electric one had been refurbished which saved a bit. We generally use the electric one, but have used the hand cranked one just to see how long it takes; it does take a bit of time and effort to grind enough spelt to make a loaf of bread. We're happy with the quality and performance of both. The electric one is kind of loud but we only use it once in a while. They do sell a kit that would allow you to hook a drill up to the Wondermill Jr.. I'm sure you could mount it on a bench with a motor nearby and drive it by pulley or gear too. Maybe even hook it up to your exercise bike and kill two birds with one stone! If you're on a limited income then I'd personally suggest getting the manual one since it will always work. Then when you can afford it, either buy the drill kit, or put together a drive system for it and you still have both electric and manual. Just my 2 cents.

MaryB
12-31-2013, 12:24 AM
I have a retsel coming, one of the better manual mills that can have a motor added. Retsel has horrible customer service and is very slow on shipping, my mill took 3 months and is finally coming Friday. If you can wait go Retsel http://www.retsel.com/store/

dbosman
12-31-2013, 01:03 AM
This company has made exceptional use of the internet.
Lehman's Simple products for a simple life.

http://non-electric.lehmans.com/search#?p=KK&srid=S6-USWSD02&lbc=lehmans&ts=ajax&pw=mill&uid=651484107&isort=score&view=grid&w=Flour%20Mill&rk=6

DougGuy
01-05-2014, 03:27 PM
I have one... It fits on my wifes kitchen aide mixer... It is wonderful... Grinds all sorts of different grains... Here is a pic....92036

Unless you are doing a large quanity, this is all you need... Been using this one for about 8 years.... Love it...

AG

The thumbscrew pattern and the knob pattern SURE do look like the front end of a Kitchenaid Pro 100 coffee grinder. I bet they use the same burrs, and that makes me wonder if you couldn't use a Pro 100 coffee grinder for grain. I have one that I use for a spice grinder and it works great.

45 2.1
01-05-2014, 03:49 PM
When I was looking for a grain mill, I read the product tests of quite a few mills and the sites that tested them against each other. There were two mills who produced the finest flour on the first pass...The Country Living grain mill (the one I bought) and the Diamant. You can motorize either which is what I did myself instead of buying their kit. The first costs half what the second does and is made in this country... they have good service also.

MT Gianni
01-10-2014, 08:28 PM
Another vote for the kitchen aide if you use a kitchen aide mixer already. If you use whole wheat sifting it before you bake will cause a better product, IMO. It knocks the sharp edges off which can cut the dough as it rises.

seanhagerty
01-10-2014, 08:49 PM
Homebrewers crush grain, you should check out northernbrewer and morebeer. They have several powered and hand crank grain crushers. Most have adjustable gap, so you can make the crush as tight as you want it.

Sean

reloader28
01-11-2014, 11:12 AM
I have an old Corona that I grind coffee with and a Wonder mill for grain.
I dont think the home brew crushers would grind fine enough for flour, but I dont have one. Brewers only lightly crush grains. The one I looked at could never grind flour.

OeldeWolf
01-19-2014, 08:39 PM
Ok, have checked those out. Not exactly cheap, so will have ti save up. Makes what is at the local flea markets, look like the cheap, ineffective junk it is.

Thank you, everyone.

MaryB
01-19-2014, 11:14 PM
Retsel is affordable at $130 if you can wait 2 months for them to ship...

CastingFool
01-20-2014, 12:25 AM
We have one of those bakery outlet stores in town, where you can buy day old bread very cheaply. I buy organic bread for 79 cent a loaf. and use a loaf a week. I buy 3 or 4 loaves at a time, and freeze it.