PDA

View Full Version : So what wheel gun?

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 04:32 PM
Hello everyone,

Currently restructuring my reloading setup, then will focus on getting setup for casting. I'm doing research now ahead of time on the wheel guns. The only wheel gun I have ever owned is a 3" Ruger SP 101 that I traded away a few years ago (wish I still had that little gem).

I want to get a wheel gun lever action rifle combo just for range use. I'm torn between 357mag/44mag for caliber and just lost on where to go from there. I more versed in things semi auto than I am wheel guns. I do know I want nothing to do with a pistol that has a lock on it (i.e. S&W lock). I have wanted a Colt Python for ages because I just always thought they were beautiful guns, but looking around that's way more than I want to spend on a revolver lol.

Open to any/all suggestions here, basically looking for a crash course on revolvers.

Edited to add: I'm not closed minded to only 357mag/44mag, I'm just looking for a wheel gun to pair with a lever gun for a lifetime of enjoyment shooting. casting, and reloading for both.

FM

scattershot
12-30-2013, 05:11 PM
For my money, a Ruger Blackhawk is tough to beat in .44 mag. You can load it anywhere from mild to wild, hunt most anything, and rifles chambered for it are pretty common. The pistols themselves are tough as nails.

Outpost75
12-30-2013, 05:22 PM
If you absolutely WILL hunt deer or larger game, and hunting is more important to you than just getting trigger time, go get the .44 pair.

If you "may" hunt in your fantasy world, but are mostly a plinker and paper puncher, then get the .38/.357 rifle/revolver combo as being more frugal of powder and lead, to make your supplies last.

As for me, I believe in having a rifle capable of using every handgun caliber I use.

376Steyr
12-30-2013, 05:25 PM
Get a used pre-lock S&W 686 (for the single action trigger pull if nothing else). If you are going to only punch paper, there isn't any reason to throw more lead down range than you need to. A stout 357 load in a rifle will take deer-sized critters at "short" range. If they are bigger than that, or further away, a 44 lever probably wouldn't be the best tool for the job either.

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 05:26 PM
If you absolutely WILL hunt deer or larger game, and hunting is more important to you than just getting trigger time, go get the .44 pair.

If you "may" hunt in your fantasy world, but are mostly a plinker and paper puncher, then get the .38/.357 rifle/revolver combo as being more frugal of powder and lead, to make your supplies last.

As for me, I believe in having a rifle capable of using every handgun caliber I use.

I live in a rather big city although out in the suburbs and as much as I'd like to hunt, don't know many people who do and any spare time I have right now would be geared towards IDPA/Reloading/Plinking. So yes I "may" hunt at some point, but for now just plinking and punching paper.

Any brands you recommend?

Thanks for your input.

454PB
12-30-2013, 05:31 PM
There are a lot of choices available.....single or double action?

Of my "sets", I guess I prefer the .454 Puma and Ruger .454 SRH, but if you prefer .357, I like my GP-100 and Marlin 1894.

The GP-100 is an amazingly accurate and tough double action.

I had a Python once, but it was sold to buy several other guns when somebody offered me over twice the money I had in it. Though it was a beautiful piece, I can't say I really miss it.

jmort
12-30-2013, 05:32 PM
Ruger GP 100

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 05:35 PM
There are a lot of choices available.....single or double action?

Of my "sets", I guess I prefer the .454 Puma and Ruger .454 SRH, but if you prefer .357, I like my GP-100 and Marlin 1894.

The GP-100 is an amazingly accurate and tough double action.

I had a Python once, but it was sold to buy several other guns when somebody offered me over twice the money I had in it. Though it was a beautiful piece, I can't say I really miss it.

I fell in love with the lever actions a few years ago while at work at a LGS I use to work at. A gentleman came in one day and I sold him a SS Marlin 1894c which had been on the shelf for ever, we had an indoor range at this facility. He bought some ammo and asked my boss if it was ok for me to go in with him and explain to him how to use it (he was just being kind because I was marveling at the rifle and had never shot one) my boss said no problem, it was slow. We went in and he let me shoot the rifle before he did. We moved the target back to the 25 yard line and I took this out of the box lever action rifle and punch out the 10 ring with it at 25 yards. Now I know that's nothing to write home about, but it made me happy and started my love affair and desire to have one someday and get a nice revolver to pair it with.

FM

kootne
12-30-2013, 06:02 PM
I've several six shooters over the last 40 or so years. The one that will never be for sale or trade is my old Ruger Security Six. I tried to wear it out years ago but was unsucessfull. I had a Rossi clone of the Winchester 1892 carbine but sold it and now regret it. Sorta looking for another one. But will probably have to sell something else or trade 'cause the gun safe door don't hardly close anymore. Truth be told, the new Winchester 1873 ads have turned my head a time or 2, I'd sure like to hold one.
kootne

detox
12-30-2013, 06:14 PM
I like the Blackhawk in 44 Special...it has a steel grip frame. All other newly manufactured Blackhawks have aluminum grip frame. I bet the Super Blackhawk is steel also.

My favorite is .357 magnum by any manufacturer that is machined perfect...not all are perfect.

olereb
12-30-2013, 06:19 PM
I have a Ruger SBH and a Rossi 92 in 44mag and also a Ruger BH and Rossi 92 in 45colt and I would recommend either one of those,they are easy to cast and load for and can be loaded mild to wild. Either one is also a great choice for most hunting if you ever do decide to go that route.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-30-2013, 06:37 PM
i vote 44 magnum thats what i have ruger B/H and a 1973 marlin 1894 in 44 magnum.
you can always load them down to a mild load for paper and full house load for Hunting

dragon813gt
12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
S&W 586 and Marlin 1894C. I will admit I'm biased because this is what I have. My 586 has a lock which doesn't bother me one bit. They're producing them again under the Classic line so don't overlook them. Now the 1894C. Be prepared to pay a premium because they're in high demand.

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 06:48 PM
S&W 586 and Marlin 1894C. I will admit I'm biased because this is what I have. My 586 has a lock which doesn't bother me one bit. They're producing them again under the Classic line so don't overlook them. Now the 1894C. Be prepared to pay a premium because they're in high demand.

Biggest issue with the Marlins seems to be finding a pre Remington one for a decent price, lol…..

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 06:49 PM
I'll suggest the .357 in S&W dress (M19, M66, M586/686) and the Marlin 1894c. The Marlin (with handloads) will dispatch whatever comes your way. S&Ws have the BEST DA trigger, bar none! M19/66 are the lighter (K) frames, and 586/686 are the L frames. The L frames are for constant 357 use, but I doubt that you'll wear out a M19 or M66.

I shot PPC back in the day, and MUCH preferred my S&Ws to even the slickest Colt Python that I ever shot.

Thanks kind of what I'm leaning towards. Then I can load 38 spcl for the misses too.

dragon813gt
12-30-2013, 07:48 PM
Biggest issue with the Marlins seems to be finding a pre Remington one for a decent price, lol…..

I have one JM and one made by Remington. There is nothing wrong with the Remington made one and it's the one I hunt with. It gets more use than any other firearm I own. They started producing them again so they should be showing up on the shelves again. Like a S&W w/ a lock I would not overlook a new Marlin. Inspect them carefully but don't overlook them.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-30-2013, 07:56 PM

yes but you can find them if you look i called every Cabelas till i found mine in 98% shape
dont just look online make calls oh i got mine for less than $500. a few years ago and ran across
a bunch for under $450. but they looked liked the spent a lot of time in the back of a pickup
good luck

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 07:56 PM
I have one JM and one made by Remington. There is nothing wrong with the Remington made one and it's the one I hunt with. It gets more use than any other firearm I own. They started producing them again so they should be showing up on the shelves again. Like a S&W w/ a lock I would not overlook a new Marlin. Inspect them carefully but don't overlook them.

Ok thanks for the heads up

I appreciate everyones responses so far, keep them coming.

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 07:57 PM

yes but you can find them if you look i called every Cabelas till i found mine in 98% shape
dont just look online make calls oh i got mine for less than $500. a few years ago and ran across
a bunch for under $450. but they looked liked the spent a lot of time in the back of a pickup
good luck

Ok thanks for the info, will search around.

bhn22
12-30-2013, 08:17 PM
Ruger just introduced a "Competition" version of the GP100. They screwed up and used the fixed rear sight from the Wiley Clap-Trap model, but everything else about it is pretty neat. They must intend it be used for IDPA, because it isn't much good for anything else with that rear sight design.

Petrol & Powder
12-30-2013, 10:21 PM
I toss in my $0.02.
I've owned, shot and worked on a pile of revolvers; including some big bores. Over the years the 40 caliber + ones left one by one and the .357 caliber ones accumulated. I'm currently looking for a .44 but not as a replacement, only an addition. In todays world a cartridge that consumes less lead and powder each time it's fired has some real merit of economy over the ones that throw those big bullets. Don't get me wrong, big bullets have their place but the 38 Special/.357 magnum has a LOT going for it. Fun, cheap, accurate, versatile, reasonably powerful ...did I mention fun?

As for .357 caliber revolvers, we have some excellent examples to choose from. The Colt's are nice but almost in collector's only status and very expensive. The Smith v. Ruger thing is a lot like the Ford v. Chevy thing but I'll make some distinctions.
First let me say that I think the single action revolver is a fine design but it's not my choice for a revolver that may be called upon for more than hunting or target work. Ruger makes some outstanding single actions and I've owned some; but I prefer double actions for revolvers.
The excellent engineering and high strength of a Ruger GP-100 is undeniable. They are also far more accurate than most people will admit. I'm tried of hearing about the allegedly poor triggers on the GP-100. The trigger pull on a new S&W, "aint' all that" and the GP double action pull can easily be made to rival the current out of the box S&W. Don't over look the old Security-Six models or the SP-101's, they have some strong points as well.
The Rugers are strong, durable, accurate revolvers with outstanding engineering.

The S&W's have another forte - a very long design history and a LOT of variations.
With the S&W make you get multiple frame sizes, sights, finishes, steel or alloy frames, etc.
The S&W L-frames are plenty strong for anything one would want to do with a .357 magnum. The K-frames are works of art that balance size and power.

For a medium sized .357 revolver it comes down to a L-frame S&W or a Ruger GP-100. They are both excellent guns. The S&W has a few more variants and the GP-100 has superior strength and engineering.
If I had to have only one my choice would be the GP-100.

As for lever action rifles chambered in .357 magnum; your choices are a bit limited. The good news is most of what's available is pretty good. I owned a Rossi lever action chambered in 38/.357 that, despite it's low price, was actually not bad. It wasn't nearly the same quality as the American makes but it was surprisingly functional and accurate. I think when you start talking about rifles chambered in pistol calibers, the playing field is fairly level.

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 10:38 PM
I toss in my $0.02.
I've owned, shot and worked on a pile of revolvers; including some big bores. Over the years the 40 caliber + ones left one by one and the .357 caliber ones accumulated. I'm currently looking for a .44 but not as a replacement, only an addition. In todays world a cartridge that consumes less lead and powder each time it's fired has some real merit of economy over the ones that throw those big bullets. Don't get me wrong, big bullets have their place but the 38 Special/.357 magnum has a LOT going for it. Fun, cheap, accurate, versatile, reasonably powerful ...did I mention fun?

As for .357 caliber revolvers, we have some excellent examples to choose from. The Colt's are nice but almost in collector's only status and very expensive. The Smith v. Ruger thing is a lot like the Ford v. Chevy thing but I'll make some distinctions.
First let me say that I think the single action revolver is a fine design but it's not my choice for a revolver that may be called upon for more than hunting or target work. Ruger makes some outstanding single actions and I've owned some; but I prefer double actions for revolvers.
The excellent engineering and high strength of a Ruger GP-100 is undeniable. They are also far more accurate than most people will admit. I'm tried of hearing about the allegedly poor triggers on the GP-100. The trigger pull on a new S&W, "aint' all that" and the GP double action pull can easily be made to rival the current out of the box S&W. Don't over look the old Security-Six models or the SP-101's, they have some strong points as well.
The Rugers are strong, durable, accurate revolvers with outstanding engineering.

The S&W's have another forte - a very long design history and a LOT of variations.
With the S&W make you get multiple frame sizes, sights, finishes, steel or alloy frames, etc.
The S&W L-frames are plenty strong for anything one would want to do with a .357 magnum. The K-frames are works of art that balance size and power.

For a medium sized .357 revolver it comes down to a L-frame S&W or a Ruger GP-100. They are both excellent guns. The S&W has a few more variants and the GP-100 has superior strength and engineering.
If I had to have only one my choice would be the GP-100.

As for lever action rifles chambered in .357 magnum; your choices are a bit limited. The good news is most of what's available is pretty good. I owned a Rossi lever action chambered in 38/.357 that, despite it's low price, was actually not bad. It wasn't nearly the same quality as the American makes but it was surprisingly functional and accurate. I think when you start talking about rifles chambered in pistol calibers, the playing field is fairly level.

P&P,

I appreciate your response. Since the start of this thread I have been in touch with a friend (not local) who had a Smith and a GP100. I also stated in my OP the only revolver I owned before was an SP 101, and I do plan on having another someday. So this is tearing me towards the 357, and the points you make in your post make a lot of sense. I think a GP 100 will make a nice addition to start off with, I can always add a Smith later. Like I said no rush here I want to setup to cast first, but doing my research as a wheel gun and lever action are on my short list. I'd just rather be setup to feed them forever before adding one. At least thats my thinking.

FM

yman
12-30-2013, 10:58 PM
If you dont already have a supply of brass,I would look at the aval of supplies, i.e. brass,primers,bullets,etc. If your going to mold some there is always the supply lead now-a-days. I like the 38/357 combo rugers and 586/686's, but a 44 or 45 combo is not a bad idea. You mite want to check on prices and aval of the lever guns. Wont do much good to have a great pistol and reloading plan if you have pay out the washu or cant find a decent rifle.

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 11:05 PM
If you dont already have a supply of brass,I would look at the aval of supplies, i.e. brass,primers,bullets,etc. If your going to mold some there is always the supply lead now-a-days. I like the 38/357 combo rugers and 586/686's, but a 44 or 45 combo is not a bad idea. You mite want to check on prices and aval of the lever guns. Wont do much good to have a great pistol and reloading plan if you have pay out the washu or cant find a decent rifle.

So if I'm reading you correctly, I should focus on the rifle first, because it will be the harder item to get what I want, and then after I can get the needed casting items for it and get the revolver of choice in the same caliber?

Thanks
FM

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-30-2013, 11:16 PM
4c ...

Petrol & Powder
12-30-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that 123.DieselBenz really means W123 Mercedes Benz.....which would explain the extremely pragmatic and outstanding collection of Stainless Steel Rugers you've acquired. That's a nice collection of REAL guns!:drinks:

birch
12-30-2013, 11:40 PM
After years of trading and having everything from a Old Royal Blue Python to a Taurus Ultralight 85, I feel the Ruger GP100 is the best all purpose gun I have ever owned.

If you are looking for a Python option, check out the Trooper MKIII. They are for the most part a Python except for MIM trigger parts on the newer ones. My 6" Trooper kept 6=8 inch groups at 100 yards. They are relatively cheap as far as colts go. If you decided to buy one, they can be had for a few hundred dollars more than a new gp-100

Fire_Medic
12-30-2013, 11:51 PM
After years of trading and having everything from a Old Royal Blue Python to a Taurus Ultralight 85, I feel the Ruger GP100 is the best all purpose gun I have ever owned.

If you are looking for a Python option, check out the Trooper MKIII. They are for the most part a Python except for MIM trigger parts on the newer ones. My 6" Trooper kept 6=8 inch groups at 100 yards. They are relatively cheap as far as colts go. If you decided to buy one, they can be had for a few hundred dollars more than a new gp-100

The Python idea was more nostalgia than anything. I had never really looked into it, hence the sticker shock, lol.

I'm leaning towards the GP100 for my first non snubbie revolver, but between now and when I buy one anything can happen, lol.

I never would have thought I'd see a revolver on gun broker selling for more than I have paid in the past for a Wilson or Springer Custom 1911……..

At that price point and condition it would be a collectors item, and I don't do collectors, I shoot EVERYTHING that I own. My only collectors piece if you will (which still gets shot a lot) is the 1971 Belgium made Browning High Power my father in law left to me before he passed away. It's just too much fun to shoot and has a dear place to me. It's like me and the old man are together when I shoot it. I can't even bring myself to refinish it, though it needs it, but it's well cared for and is not rusting so……

I have the original receipt from when he bought it back in 1972 and everything. Pistol and one extra mag for less than $150, lol. Still have the old worn browning leather pouch and the shoulder rig he used to carry it too, doesn't fit me I'm slightly larger than he was lol.

Old School Big Bore
12-30-2013, 11:58 PM
My same-caliber handgun/rifle sets are selections from multiple .44 revolvers and rifles (one SBH, an M29, two Bulldogs, a Deerstalker, a B92, and a Handy-Rifle), or my .30 Carbine Blackhawk and my hotrodded M1 Carbine. (looking for a Marlin 62/30 and an Automag III and a Raging Thirty) I am also trying to get hold of a .45 ACP AR upper, as well as one for 9mm. Your paired handgun doesn't have to be a revolver, as there are numerous choices of autopistol caliber carbines. One thing that works great for plinking "sets" is any good .22LR revolver or auto pistol and any good .22LR rifle, but only if you have a metric pant-load of pre-panic .22 ammo. It's a different thread but my "cast the new .22" is .30 Carbine, except the long gun gets plated boolits due to problems with soldering the gas tappet with CBs...

Petrol & Powder
12-31-2013, 12:15 AM

The Trooper MKIII looks a little Python-like on the outside but the lock work is totally different on the inside. I gave my father one and had to work on it when a spring failed. They do shoot well but the trigger pull is not quite the same. They are good revolvers and for the most part they are fitted very well, but the GP-100 will stay in time far longer and is clearly stronger.

Fire_Medic
12-31-2013, 12:36 AM
My same-caliber handgun/rifle sets are selections from multiple .44 revolvers and rifles (one SBH, an M29, two Bulldogs, a Deerstalker, a B92, and a Handy-Rifle), or my .30 Carbine Blackhawk and my hotrodded M1 Carbine. (looking for a Marlin 62/30 and an Automag III and a Raging Thirty) I am also trying to get hold of a .45 ACP AR upper, as well as one for 9mm. Your paired handgun doesn't have to be a revolver, as there are numerous choices of autopistol caliber carbines. One thing that works great for plinking "sets" is any good .22LR revolver or auto pistol and any good .22LR rifle, but only if you have a metric pant-load of pre-panic .22 ammo. It's a different thread but my "cast the new .22" is .30 Carbine, except the long gun gets plated boolits due to problems with soldering the gas tappet with CBs...

I know the paired guns doesn't have to be a wheel gun I WANT it to be. I want something different than a semi auto. Through trading/selling over the past few years I have basically at one time or another owned every semi auto I have wanted to, and some I didn't, and the 2 years behind a counter at a store with an indoor range allowed me to shoot the stuff I might have considered but did not ever buy.

As for the .22LR, I sold my beautiful bolt action Savage because I was offered stupid money for it last year and I couldn't find any .22 ammo at a price I was willing to pay. Not gonna pay more for .22 than what it was costing me to reload 45 cap. lol.

Fire_Medic
12-31-2013, 12:37 AM
I prefer double actions ... But ... Sometimes a Sa sneaks in!

Here is a SP101 3 1/16"
Security Six 4"
New Model Blackhawk 6.5"

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s220/ShawnTVT/Guns/357Mags.jpg (http://s153.photobucket.com/user/ShawnTVT/media/Guns/357Mags.jpg.html)

My next will probably be a GP100 6" ...

Have you thought of a DAN Wesson model 15? You can find them with a bunch of different barrel lengths, and they are easy and quick to change out!

We also have a older Marlin 1894c ...

Beautiful guns, miss my old SP 101……… let myself get talked out of that one.

Three-Fifty-Seven
12-31-2013, 01:36 AM
,,,,, ,

BCRider
12-31-2013, 02:41 AM
I'm going to suggest that it's not a pair you want but a trio. A lever rifle, a single action that mimics the old west guns and finally a 4 inch or shorter 6 shot revolver.

The rifle is a no brainer if you're going to have a matching set.

For a single action the choice sort of depends on which hole you want to fill. A Pietta or Uberti cowboy action gun will provide a direct connection to the days of the old West thanks to the faithful reproduction of the classic old "4 click" Colt action. Something that the Modern Rugers do NOT have. On the other hand if you would like to set up a single action revolver for precision target shooting a Ruger Blackhawk is the ticket as the adjustable sights gives you the ability to set the gun up for any given ammo. Something you can't do with the fixed sight cowboy style guns.

The option for the 4inch or shorter double action revolver is a nod to the idea that you can then use it in competitions such as IPSC, IDPA or Steel Challenge. The option of the shorter barrel is only required for IDPA as far as I know but it's a nice size for a revolver anyway.

I'm also in agreement with the idea of .357 as the chambering for all the reasons mentioned already about minimizing the costs for lead and powder. Over the years I've save a lot by sticking with the smaller bore size. It may only be a nickel a shot difference but it doesn't take long for these things to add up.

Even if you take up handgun caliber hunting later on I'd suggest you'd still keep the .357 trio while adding on a .44Mag or .45Colt pair to the family. Especially if the big majority of your shooting is for plinking, paper or matches.

clownbear69
12-31-2013, 02:17 PM
I love my Colt Trooper MK III. I also have a Ruger Security Six. Oddly enough they are pretty much the same gun including the size of the cylinder (can use same speed loaders) Also have a Ruger Blackhawk. The one thing I don't like about the older Rugers is the size of the grip. But cant go wrong with anyone. As long as you keep with the big three for revolvers (S&W, Ruger, and Colt) you won't have any issue.

nekshot
12-31-2013, 05:54 PM
years ago I had all 44 mags and rifle also. Was very happy and felt secure. Years later no 44 and all 357's! I feel ok, not as secure as then but then I remembered why. The wifey did not like the recoil of the 44's and with out knowing it the herd disappeared over the years. I still prefer the 44's.

Fire_Medic
12-31-2013, 05:56 PM
years ago I had all 44 mags and rifle also. Was very happy and felt secure. Years later no 44 and all 357's! I feel ok, not as secure as then but then I remembered why. The wifey did not like the recoil of the 44's and with out knowing it the herd disappeared over the years. I still prefer the 44's.

I will probably lean towards the 357's for the same reason. Can load here 38 spcl and everyone has fun. Thanks for your input.

ebner glocken
12-31-2013, 09:03 PM
In a .44 try 6.0 grains of bullseye behind a 200 DEWC. Just about anyone can still have fun with a 44 mag.

Ebner

bob208
12-31-2013, 11:29 PM
I would go with the 357. for shooting use .38 brass still a lot of it around cheap. .38 saves on lead and powder also. and if you need more steam then .38 you can load 357.

Worn_Holster
12-31-2013, 11:37 PM
I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both. So what is the big hoopla about it, anyway? Maybe I'd go for a 1911 and a Marlin Camp Carbine because they use the same mag also.
I just bought my second .44 mag, a Ruger Redhawk stainless 7.5", which is still somewhere between me and the seller. My first .44 is a S&W 1958 pre-29 4-screw which is awesome to shoot, but I wanted one that I didn't have to worry about damaging while out hunting. I love my Ruger 6" .357 Security Six, but lately I've been into shooting my .44 mag more.
Since I found an 8# jug of Unique locally recently, I've been shooting the Unique 10gr load over a 240gr SWC. Nice medium .44 mag load...

Bohica793
01-01-2014, 12:38 AM
After reading all of the responses I am very surprised that no one has spoken up regarding the virtues of 45 Colt in this pairing. The 45 Colt is very versatile and with a Ruger Blackhawk or similar, it can be loaded mild to wild with ballistics rivaling or bettering the 44. The combination of Blackhawk and something like a Rossi 92 can be had for a modest investment and cover everything from paper punching to CAS to hunting just about anything in North America.

My 2 cents....

Fire_Medic
01-01-2014, 01:22 AM
I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both. So what is the big hoopla about it, anyway? Maybe I'd go for a 1911 and a Marlin Camp Carbine because they use the same mag also.
I just bought my second .44 mag, a Ruger Redhawk stainless 7.5", which is still somewhere between me and the seller. My first .44 is a S&W 1958 pre-29 4-screw which is awesome to shoot, but I wanted one that I didn't have to worry about damaging while out hunting. I love my Ruger 6" .357 Security Six, but lately I've been into shooting my .44 mag more.
Since I found an 8# jug of Unique locally recently, I've been shooting the Unique 10gr load over a 240gr SWC. Nice medium .44 mag load...

Never really gave it that much thought but you bring up some very valid points.

dragon813gt
01-01-2014, 09:35 AM
I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both.

This couldn't be more wrong. I use the same loads and same bullets in both of mine. You will find that most people do this. It prevents shooting the wrong ammo in a firearm it shouldn't be used in. I have no notable exception and it's because one particular bullet won't feed in my Marlin. This one is loaded for revolver only. But it's not because I want it to be that way.

Chihuahua Floyd
01-01-2014, 09:59 AM
I have both the 44 Mag and 357 Mag pairing, both rifles are 1894 Marlins, in the 44 Mag I use a Ruger Super Blackhawk. For the 357 Mag I have both a GP 100 and a Blackhawk as well as a Hawes Great Western. I find I reach for the 357 Blackhawk more than any other gun.
30-06, Blackhawk.
243, Blackhawk.
Shotgun, Blackhawk.
Only seem to carry the SBH when I carry the 44 Marlin.
Good luck finding the 357 Marlin.
CF

Worn_Holster
01-01-2014, 11:12 AM
Ideally, the same loads don't work for both. You can shoot anything that you want out of your guns, but your accuracy will suffer in one if not both. You will have to make load concessions to get a one load for all. Plain and simply, a rifle is not a pistol is not a rifle.

375supermag
01-01-2014, 11:39 AM
After reading all of the responses I am very surprised that no one has spoken up regarding the virtues of 45 Colt in this pairing. The 45 Colt is very versatile and with a Ruger Blackhawk or similar, it can be loaded mild to wild with ballistics rivaling or bettering the 44. The combination of Blackhawk and something like a Rossi 92 can be had for a modest investment and cover everything from paper punching to CAS to hunting just about anything in North America.

My 2 cents....

I have never gotten around to buying a lever-action rifle in a pistol caliber, but if I ever do the first one will be chambered for .45Colt. I already have a couple of Ruger Vaqueros in .45Colt, so that would set me up for CAS if I ever decide to resume competitive shooting. I could also use it for short-range whitetail hunting.

If I ever ran across a lever-action rifle in .41Mag, I would probably be hard pressed to turn it down. I do own a couple of revolvers in that caliber.

Forrest r
01-01-2014, 02:01 PM
You might want to ask what size/diameter bullets they're using in the marlin's with the micro-groove bbl's. 20+ years ago I had a marlin 1894c in 44mag & pared it with a 7 1/2" bbl'd blackhawk. The blackhawk shot .430 cast bullets & the levergun used .432 cast bullets. Hence, 2 different ammo's for the same caliber. I believe the new marlins are being made with standard grooved bbl's so your pistol/rifle can use the same diameter bullet/ same load/same ammo.

Not allot of people use/shoot the dan wesson revolvers but their one of the best deals out there. The frames on them are comparable to the s&w L-frames or the ruger gp 100's. The bbl's can easily be changed & cost around $200 for the bbl/shroud combo. If you look around you can find a 3bbl'd set for around $750. The dw's have several different bbl shrouds designs, anything from flat to vented to sideslab with interchangable front sights that have 3 different styles, 6 different heights & 4 different colors.

You could be shooting a standard 4" vented bbl 1 hour & change the bbl out in minutes to 2", 6", 8", 10" bbl with the sight of your choice. It's nice to have choices.

A fun range plinker, 4" bbl'd red ramp white outline with 1200fps 357's.

My favorite setup with the dw's, Heavy slabside bbl shrouds with muzzle breaks & stippled rubber finger groove grips. These thing eat 1200fps/1300fps 158gr hp's like their 22's. It's nothing to run 400/500 rounds of fullhouse loads of 2400 with 158gr hp's thru them in a single range session beaten & bangin on steel/paper & bowling pins.

JonB_in_Glencoe
01-01-2014, 04:02 PM
44mag is my favorite cartridge.

As a caster and reloader, when you compare prices to load your own, there isn't much difference in Price, between 357M and 44M, especially when compared to factory ammo. You can down load either caliber easily enough. We're talking revolvers here, so not much brass loss.

I love the S&W revolvers...they sure hold their value, and have been appreciating considerably in the last few years. BUT, the Ruger Redhawk or the Super Redhawk deserve a look, while their double action trigger's leave alot to be desired compared to a S&W, they can be worked over to be just as good as a worked over S&W. Colts ? I've had a King Cobra and a Python...I prefered the cheaper KC to the Py. I'm just not a Py fan,,,mine just didn't shoot accurate enough in my hands compared to a S&W.
anyway,
go with 44 Mag.
Jon

Outpost75
01-01-2014, 07:48 PM
I live in a rather big city although out in the suburbs and as much as I'd like to hunt, don't know many people who do and any spare time I have right now would be geared towards IDPA/Reloading/Plinking. So yes I "may" hunt at some point, but for now just plinking and punching paper.

Any brands you recommend?

Thanks for your input.

I have Ruger Blackhawks in. 357, .44 Mag. and. 45 Colt with matching Marlin Cowboy rifles and extra barrels for my H&R Handi Rifle.

If you want to use your revolvers for IDPA then get a GP100 or Redhawk DA.

Ed K
01-02-2014, 02:12 PM
I find the thought of pairing a rifle and a pistol doesn't make a whole lot of sense except for the fact that you can use the same brass and reloading dies. You will have to have different loads for each and likely use different projectiles. You'll never be shooting the same loads through both. So what is the big hoopla about it, anyway?

I get the nostalgia of the pairing but another way to look at this is field performance. If I lug around a revolver and a lever gun, the revolver is going to be a 44/45 and the lever gun a 35 Remington. For the approx same weight and overall size the bottle neck cartridge blows away the straight wall. Now again for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead but in the field I don't really see the point.

Fire_Medic
01-02-2014, 02:19 PM
I get the nostalgia of the pairing but another way to look at this is field performance. If I lug around a revolver and a lever gun, the revolver is going to be a 44/45 and the lever gun a 35 Remington. For the approx same weight and overall size the bottle neck cartridge blows away the straight wall. Now again for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead but in the field I don't really see the point.

Because in Miami, FL there's no field, lol. Just for range use guys, that's why I explained it at the beginning of the thread.

Ed K
01-02-2014, 02:40 PM
Because in Miami, FL there's no field, lol. Just for range use guys, that's why I explained it at the beginning of the thread.

Truce :drinks:

Just enjoying the thread drift a bit and I did mention: "for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead".

And for something you can possibly use: don't rule out a sweet deal on a S&W model 28

Fire_Medic
01-02-2014, 02:41 PM
Truce :drinks:

Just enjoying the thread drift a bit and I did mention: "for nostalgia's sake or range use go right ahead".

Just a reminder I don't mind thread drifts, you always get something extra out of them. :Fire:

pal82
01-02-2014, 03:10 PM
I have wanted a Colt Python for ages because I just always thought they were beautiful guns, but looking around that's way more than I want to spend...FM

The answer my friend is GP100. The correct barrel legnth is 4". Should be able to get a new one for under $600 at a gun show. The GP and the Python are very similar. I use my GP100. The Python sits in the safe.

silverback13
01-02-2014, 04:33 PM
I had to way in on this one. I have gone the way of the security six and the rossi m92 20 inch lever gun. Both will handle anything one wants to throw at it and are accurate enough. I do like the single actions but the DA/SA of the security six just seemed more practical to me. I also have a redhawk 45 colt that I will be getting a rossi to match up with. I went the way of the 45 as from all the info I could find from long term loaders. The bottom line was that the 45 colt could everything the 44 could do with less pressure and a slightly bigger hole. I figured why reinvent the wheel. I know its one of those debates that could on forever. Me...I liked the idea of less pressure and there by less recoil to deal with.

Now back to the .357. the gp 100 and sp101 are both fine weapons. I tried all barrel lengths in both models. I finally tried the security six and for me .... I found the exact compromise of weight, recoil , absorption and accuracy that I wanted. Do a little comparing on their specs and you will see what I mean. they are dam fine guns.

I own a 6-4 and 2 3/4 inch barrel in the security six and absolutely enjoy them.

the rossi m92 was a way for me to get into lever guns at a lower cost. I researched them and found many that enjoy them. I will admit it was a bit rough until I did a steve gunz tweaking. Now it is as smooth as any other rifle in its class. Great value.

good luck on your decision.

Char-Gar
01-02-2014, 05:49 PM
I am going to take you at your word that this sixgun/rifle combination is for range use only. This being the case, a 38/357 would be the best choice. The brass is available and cheap, it uses less powder and lead than the 44.

If you want a DA sixgun, then a pre-lock Smith and Wesson will make you happy.

If you want a SA sixgun, then a good Ruger will fill the bill nicely.

For the rifle a good Marlin or a Winchester (Miroku made) 92 will fill the bill. Of the two, I find the 92 to be smoother and just more fun to use.

Now, if you move off the range and take to the field, a 44 Magnum will do everything the 38/357 will do and a whole lot more.

Fire_Medic
01-02-2014, 05:59 PM
I am going to take you at your word that this sixgun/rifle combination is for range use only. This being the case, a 38/357 would be the best choice. The brass is available and cheap, it uses less powder and lead than the 44.

If you want a DA sixgun, then a pre-lock Smith and Wesson will make you happy.

If you want a SA sixgun, then a good Ruger will fill the bill nicely.

For the rifle a good Marlin or a Winchester (Miroku made) 92 will fill the bill. Of the two, I find the 92 to be smoother and just more fun to use.

Now, if you move off the range and take to the field, a 44 Magnum will do everything the 38/357 will do and a whole lot more.

I decided for the reasons you stated, and the fact that I want my wife to enjoy shooting out of these as well, that I will go 357/mag.

I can't stop looking at 4" S&W model 586's, blued with the round butt grips……. and the 6" K38…….. man I think I feel a wheel gun addiction coming, lol.

We have a gun show here weekend after this one, and if I can get some motorcycle parts sold I will be hunting for a lonely wheel gun that needs a new home……..

silverback13
01-02-2014, 06:08 PM
smiths are nice... you will not get any argument there. The gp 100 and the security six have a great reputation for handling a constant diet of full house 158 and 125 grain .357 magnums with no ill affects. Just saying.

Fire_Medic
01-02-2014, 06:13 PM
smiths are nice... you will not get any argument there. The gp 100 and the security six have a great reputation for handling a constant diet of full house 158 and 125 grain .357 magnums with no ill affects. Just saying.

I will look at both, I have nothing against Ruger, I use to own an SP 101 hammerless DAO that I sold off like a dummy. Great little pistol. In the end I will have a GP, SP 101, and a couple of smiths. Ruger are a great value and triggers can always be smoothed.

The Smith is like the refined girl you want your parents to meet, and the Ruger is the nasty girl that takes whatever you give her and doesn't complain :grin:

silverback13
01-02-2014, 06:42 PM
Yep. That's my kind of women----low maintenance trouble free--- no fuss no muss. LOL same with the rossi once you get it slicked up.

BCRider
01-02-2014, 10:24 PM
Like I said earlier FM. You need a TRIO or TRIAD of rifle, SA revolver and DA revolver. Three very different guns with three very different manual of arms and three different shooting experiences.

Someone mentioned that you might need different ammo for each. Then someone replied "not at all". There is no doubt that you can shoot any load in any gun as long as they are within the SAMMI limits. But if I were to play around with a load that was going to be more accurate I think I'd go with the rifle being as tight as I could and then use those loads in the handguns. The handguns may not be as accurate as they could be but usually ammo differences in hand guns are hidden by the shakiness of the shooter.... :D

And even if it did turn out that there's a noticeable difference there's options. And the options when one reloads their own isn't a big issue to make and set aside some ammo for the rifle and some for the handguns that are known excellent groupers. Meanwhile for plinking and poking more casually go with a single compromise load that shoots decently well in all the guns.

The one bug in the beer may be the micro grooves of a possible Marlin buy. If you get such a rifle then you knowingly go into such a purchase knowing that it will be very fussy about cast boolits due to the micro grooves. Reading about the Marlins here on CB the folks have obviously found some good solutions. But to make it easier to standardize on ammo I'd say just avoid micro groove marlins.

That plan doesn't mean you can't get a Marlin. Just that it needs to be an older standard rifling style barrel. Or you may luck out on a micro grooved barrel that someone managed to bulge with a squib and second shot. If you can pick such a gun up for super cheap and re-barrel with a regular style rifling option that might work out.

Copper75
01-02-2014, 10:34 PM
Find a good used (pre lock)S&W 586 (blued) or 686 (stainless) in 38/357.
IMHO unbeatable revolvers

Petrol & Powder
01-03-2014, 12:26 AM
The S&W L-frames are excellent revolvers. The GP-100's are also excellent guns and have slightly better engineering IMHO. The Rugers are also generally a little less expensive. Some folks are quick to criticize the trigger pull on the GP-100 but I really believe that's unfair criticism. The early GP's had heavier springs than the current ones and they all can be easily improved to the point that they rival a new S&W. I would be confident in the strength of either a GP-100 or a S&W L-frame but given a choice, I would go with the GP-100.
A 4" barrel on a revolver is about as long as I want and I have several 3" revolvers that I really like.
A 4" revolver is good for range work and SD applications. The 3" is a little more "packable". I understand why the slight increase in velocity and longer sight radius of a 6" tube would be desirable for hunting but a 6" revolver is just a little too long for my taste.

9-toes
01-03-2014, 01:22 AM
+1 on the Ruger GP100. Sweet shooting and accurate.

pal82
01-03-2014, 01:32 AM
The Smith is like the refined girl you want your parents to meet, and the Ruger is the nasty girl that takes whatever you give her and doesn't complain :grin:
My wife just asked me what I was laughing at.[smilie=1:

Fire_Medic
01-03-2014, 09:48 AM
My wife just asked me what I was laughing at.[smilie=1:

Just tell her you're finally losing it…. :grin:

Changeling
01-03-2014, 05:02 PM
Ok thanks for the info, will search around.

This is a "sound" thing but affects some individuals a lot:

The report/sound from a 357 can have a irritating high pitch to the sound that bothers some quite a lot, some not at all.

The 44/45 on the other hand is more of a "Boom" type report.

Strongly suggest you shoot both to make sure you are not one who suffers from the sound problem.

Good luck in your quest.

jrayborn
01-04-2014, 01:31 PM
I like both the Smith and the Rugers. I have just sent payment out for a 5" SS GP-100 I just won on GB. Can't wait!

Clay M
01-04-2014, 01:42 PM
I like the standard Redhawks in .44 mag. Unfortunately Ruger doesn't seem to be making the standard model anymore.

Outpost75
01-04-2014, 02:20 PM
I like the standard Redhawks in .44 mag. Unfortunately Ruger doesn't seem to be making the standard model anymore.

The original model Redhawks were great guns. Early-on they made a few in. 357 which were incredibly strong and would digest unmentionable loads. I had a 5-1/2" .357 and was foolish and sold it and have regretted it ever since. Would love to find another, but the New Model Blackhawk .357 on the. 44 Mag. frame with 4-5/8" barrel is my hunting carry these days, if not carrying my. 45 Blackhawk convertible 4-5/8" with the ACP cylinder. Another favorite which has a companion Marlin lever-action buddy in. 45 ACP which John Taylor converted from a .45 Colt Cowboy for me.

Clay M
01-04-2014, 02:29 PM
I carry an old 5.5" Redhawk .41mag in a shoulder holster.It is pretty indestructible.

kweidner
01-05-2014, 09:45 PM
I vote Dan Wesson. I have 2. 357 gold series 10" and my 41 mag with 6" and 8. After buying my first DW, I traded off my other 2 357s...sW and contender. With accuracy like a DW is capable of no need for a rifle. I regularly shoot ALL my wheelguns to 100 yds. If it's just a thing that's different. Practice enough with the handgun you will not need a rifle in the same caliber. Inside 100 deer hunting I take handgun only. For the beanfields I reach for my cooper 6.5x .284 or 300RUM sendero.