PDA

View Full Version : "Skived or UnSkived" Hulls for Roll Crimping Slug Loads?

Themoose
12-30-2013, 04:17 PM
Does it make a difference in roll crimping slug loads if the new hulls are "skived"? I see them listed in BPI's catalog each way. I'm thinking "unskived" to be preferred for roll crimping and "skived" for fold crimps on new hulls... but that is only a guess.

Anyone's experienced help is greatly appreciated,

TheMoose

GBertolet
12-30-2013, 05:02 PM
I use BPI Fiochi primed 12 ga 2 3/4" skived hulls. I like the opaque color, as you can see through them, and always know whats loaded. The hull mouths are chamfered, which makes slug loading easier, in my opinion anyway. I roll crimp all my RB and forster type slug loads. For best accuracy and consistency, I found new hulls, or once fired at most, works best. The plastic softens and delivers a weaker crimp, when loaded and fired several times.

Greg5278
12-31-2013, 08:47 PM
Unskived are more durable if you want to reload the hulls. The Skived ones are rarelt concentric and often tear on one side after firing. The skived take a mice even and firm drimp without wrinkling.
Greg
AKA 12 Bore

labradigger1
12-31-2013, 08:53 PM
I have never roll crimped any shell before but,
it is my understanding that the shell HAS to be trimmed to length first as they are too long to roll crimp. If that is true they would ALL BE UNSKIVED.
Lab

Greg5278
01-01-2014, 10:11 AM
You don't need to cut the Hulls for Roll crimping, unless you buy hulls for a longer length.
Just buy 3" hulls for a 3" GUn, they are all the same length for Roll or Fold crimping. The Skiving makes it easier to form a nice Fold Crimp. People are mistaken when they think that the Hulls are specially designed for a Load.
Unskived Hulls will give better crimps and Hull Life if you plan on reloading them.
The Roll crimp allows you to use more internal Capacity, some Loads just won't fit with a Fold Crimp.
I managed to work up and Pressure test a 3" Load with a Federal Hull that contained 47-#4 Buskshot.
The heaviest Folf crimp Factory Load only holds 41 Pellets.