PDA

View Full Version : Refurbed RCBS A2 Press!

seagiant
12-30-2013, 03:14 PM
Hi,
I have been wanting one of these for years and never could find one. Finally got a fair deal on one (Thanks Bill) from a member here on a trade. The press had been sitting up for awhile. The screw out adapter was frozen and although the press ram would work in it's movement some of the links were rusted to the pins they rode on.

I completely tore the press down as far as it would go. The adapter at the top took some heat from the propane torch and some Kroil to finally let go held in my big bench vise. I made a split rod mandrel and cleaned and polished all the holes in the links and pivot block. Chucked the pins in my lath and polished them to 400 grit. Painted with a paint as close as I could find. I wanted to try and keep the "Old School" look. I put everything back together and it is like a new press! VERY smooth action now and a joy to use! Here are some pics!

skeettx
12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
Great job and congrats
Mike

ElDorado
12-30-2013, 03:37 PM
That is a good job. It looks brand new. Could you share with us what brand and color of paint you used? It looks close to the original.

Char-Gar
12-30-2013, 03:58 PM
The A2 is a joy to use. I sure do like mine.

Iowa Fox
12-30-2013, 04:08 PM
Nice job seagiant. That's a pretty good color match on your paint. If I didn't know better I'd say you like old presses

seagiant
12-30-2013, 04:20 PM
Hi,
Thanks fellas! I admit I didn't go crazy on it,just a basic clean up,but would guess it's good for 50 more years! The paint was the closest I could find at ACE Hardware and is an ACE brand enamel.

As it had alot of grime on it,I cleaned it with a degreaser first then sanded it lightly then cleaned it with hot soapy water again. I wanted to leave as much of the old powdercoat on as possible for protection and for the texture. I think as far as actual obtained smoothness the polishing really helped and allows every part to move and contribute to the action of the press. I would highly recommend doing this if you are going to rebuild a press!

dbosman
12-30-2013, 04:24 PM
Nice job.
The thing that caught my eye was the boolit jars.
We get mayonnaise in those jars. I'd never would have thought to keep them for boolits. They look to be perfect for my needs.
Thanks!

ElDorado
12-30-2013, 04:55 PM
Hi,
Thanks fellas! I admit I didn't go crazy on it,just a basic clean up,but would guess it's good for 50 more years! The paint was the closest I could find at ACE Hardware and is an ACE brand enamel.

As it had alot of grime on it,I cleaned it with a degreaser first then sanded it lightly then cleaned it with hot soapy water again. I wanted to leave as much of the old powdercoat on as possible for protection and for the texture. I think as far as actual obtained smoothness the polishing really helped and allows every part to move and contribute to the action of the press. I would highly recommend doing this if you are going to rebuild a press!

Thanks for the info. It's good to know.

CastingFool
12-30-2013, 05:37 PM
Good looking press! Congrats on a job well done!

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-30-2013, 05:48 PM
Very Nice job!

seagiant
12-30-2013, 06:34 PM
Nice job.
The thing that caught my eye was the boolit jars.
We get mayonnaise in those jars. I'd never would have thought to keep them for boolits. They look to be perfect for my needs.
Thanks!

Hi,
Ha! Ha! Yes! The old jar trick. I also use them to hold my Wilson Case Trimmer and one for shell holders! They are good at keeping the dirt out. Get Wifey to buy the big quart size!

Need to stop and clean my bench but here's a pic!

GLL
12-30-2013, 10:36 PM
VERY nice ! :)

Jerry

LUBEDUDE
12-31-2013, 12:49 AM
Hey SG, Super Awesome job as usual!!!

I kept wondering why you sold your beloved Pacific Super. It's quite obvious now.

Thanks for sharing.

seagiant
12-31-2013, 01:14 AM
Hey SG, Super Awesome job as usual!!!

I kept wondering why you sold your beloved Pacific Super. It's quite obvious now.

Thanks for sharing.

Hi,
You're a sly fellow, Lube!8-)

skeet028
12-31-2013, 04:17 AM
Nice job on the A2. I have been lookin for a paint to redo an old 2A. They were painted(usually with the old Olive drab kinda surplus paint They used when they made their first presses. I even have back east one of the Rock Chuck Bullet Swage presses. Good grief they were ugly. But that is what I used in 1960 to make bullets for my first centerfire rifle..A Savage in 22 Hornet. Paid 20 bucks for it with the original swage dies. They still work. I think I have 6 of the older 2A A2 and A3 presses..no make that 7. They are going for big money these days. One of the A3s is painted with the original Rock Chuck powder coat green. They made very few of the A3s. Last one of them I got at a gun show here in Wyoming last spring..Paid 200 bucks for it. Didn't even quibble over the price. Real American Iron..not like the cast in China jobs today

Char-Gar
12-31-2013, 12:50 PM
For the record: The RCBS A2 was cast steel and not cast iron. Well, until the end of production, when there were some cast iron A2s made. A late cast iron A2 won't have the bushing in the top for larger dies and the cast steel A2s will.

There really is no need for the extra strength that comes with cast steel for regular reloading, but they sure are smooth and have more lives than a determined cat.

9w1911
12-31-2013, 12:53 PM
love it!!!!

M-Tecs
12-31-2013, 01:09 PM
I have two. I love mine!!!!!!!!

seagiant
12-31-2013, 02:05 PM
Hi,
I thought I would put out a request for a primer arm for the A2 as you can see I am missing the arm and the spring. Perhaps someone has one they don't need? That I could purchase?

I have set the press up now with the optional slant and think it does look better, but will have to see how it works in the real world! Here are some pics,also my next victim in the vise for tear down!

msp2640
12-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Very nice job, something special about loading ammo on an old press, especially if it's a supposed "obselete" round with cast bullets. I can't begin to count how many rounds I've made with a 70's era Rockchucker. I have a priming arm set up for an older Redding press, NIB, but I've forgotten the model. It's buried under the bench somewhere. Please PM me if you think it may work for you and I'll send it out to you - If I recall correctly, it was very similar to the RCBS set up and had both cups and tubes - Great work - Bill in MA

seagiant
12-31-2013, 03:10 PM
Hi MSP,
I don't think it will work for the A2 but thanks for the offer!!! Glad to see you are helping fight for our Gun Rights! (NRA)