PDA

View Full Version : Frozen setscrew on new RCBS mold

Charley
12-30-2013, 01:58 PM
Picked up a new RCBS 8mm 170 FN mold from Midway a couple weeks back, just started working with it yesterday. Jeez, the setscrews holding the handle pins were TIGHT. One came out after a 15 minute soak with Kroil, the other is still frozen in place. Actuayt BROKE a Hilti hex head driver on it, and it wouldn't budge. I've emailed RCBS they won't be back until 1/2/14. Never ran into this before on any mold. Has anybody else? Any other suggestions besides contacting RCBS?

badgeredd
12-30-2013, 02:29 PM
Picked up a new RCBS 8mm 170 FN mold from Midway a couple weeks back, just started working with it yesterday. Jeez, the setscrews holding the handle pins were TIGHT. One came out after a 15 minute soak with Kroil, the other is still frozen in place. Actuayt BROKE a Hilti hex head driver on it, and it wouldn't budge. I've emailed RCBS they won't be back until 1/2/14. Never ran into this before on any mold. Has anybody else? Any other suggestions besides contacting RCBS?

Heat it up and try agin. You also may want to try heating it and while it is hot, try again. The latter method has worked with several Lee molds that needed a set screw for the sprue plate screw for me.

Edd

Red River Rick
12-30-2013, 02:37 PM
When you do get the screw out, put some anti-seize compound on it.

RRR

detox
12-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Grind your Allen wrench tip flat on the end to remove all old round edges on tip. This will grip allen screw better after heating mould.

Doc_Stihl
12-30-2013, 03:15 PM
I second detox's suggestion. I found that trick not too long ago and now everytime I pick up an Allen wrench the first thing I do is check it.

I'm not sure of the repercussions of doing this, but I once chuck up an allen wrench tip in my cordless impact driver to loosen a stubborn screw. After kroiling.

ElDorado
12-30-2013, 03:28 PM
You can also try tapping the allen wrench into the set screw while you are trying to unscrew it. Hold the mould in a vice, of course.

RobS
12-30-2013, 03:49 PM
Yep......heating the mold up will often times help.

Charley
12-30-2013, 09:04 PM
Done those, except for grinding the hex wrench. Taped the driver onto the setscrew, applied moderate heat, still have it soaking in Kroil...almost 28 hours now. Will play with it again tomorrow. The reason I mentioned Hilti was to say it wasn't some cheap *** tool from a dollar store!

RobS
12-31-2013, 06:41 AM
I've often got the mold up to casting temp on a hotplate and then with a small torch focused the heat directly on the screw if needed. Hope you can get it out but if not RCBS will make it right.

detox
12-31-2013, 12:19 PM
Righty tighty...lefty loosy...on most all things.

Gtek
12-31-2013, 12:34 PM
Find or grind punch to fit inside of head. Place block on hard stable surface and smack it good, wood usually is not hard enough. Gtek

collyer
01-04-2014, 10:09 AM
Heat it up and if possible try putting wax around it as it heats up it will lubricate for the threads it run down inside the threads where oil usually just burns off and does noting for you.

bhn22
01-04-2014, 11:02 AM
Heat the head of the screw with a soldering iron. Directly on the head of the screw.

zuke
01-04-2014, 11:05 AM
But I thought LEE was suppose to make the screw up's?

Charley
01-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Contacted RCBS, they said to return the mold AND SALES RECEIPT, and they would look at it. Ordered it new in early December, and by the time I started working with it, I'd discarded all sales documentation. Didn't think I'd need it, after all, a big name company with a strong warranty would take care of things...right? Apparently not. Mentioned I'd have to fix it myself, and that's it....no response at all to that reply.

I'm a bit PO'd at them right now. Plan on putting my complaint in writing rather than email, but don't expect much action. I'm sure not going to recommend RCBS tools to any new loaders, that's for sure! I'm pretty surprised and disappointed at their reaction.

As for the mold itself, after checking it again, it appears the set screw is bearing VERY TIGHTLY on the handle retaining pin. Figure to cut the pin and remove it, then the setscrew should be able to be removed. If not, guess I'll drill it out, and modify the blocks to use Lyman type retaining screws, rather than the pins and setscrews.

And Zuke is right, thought Lee was the company producing bad tools and crappy QC. Live and learn.

Sweetpea
01-04-2014, 08:08 PM
I would call again...

The company is first-class.

I don't, however, know about each employee...

fatnhappy
01-04-2014, 09:52 PM
I wouldn't do a darn thing to that mould. Send it back to them, sales receipt or not. They'll fix it.

BTW, I'd put that mould in the oven for a cleaning cycle so everything is good and hot. Then put it in a vise and use a torx bit with a chapman tool to remove it. Use a bit that fits into the allen head and hit it with a 8 oz ball peen hammer while you use the chapman wrench to unscrew it.

YMMV

cbrick
01-04-2014, 10:09 PM
Yep, send it to them. I haven't seen RCBS not take care of any problem with anything that says RCBS on it. I would say you just got hold of somebody having a bad day. RCBS is hands down the top company in reloading regarding warranty.

The few times I've had an issue with a RCBS product I called on the phone rather than email & the issue was settled right then & there. I've even told them I lost something and wanted to pay for a replacement and they wouldn't let me, shipped it free including shipping costs.

Rick

Charley
01-06-2014, 06:32 PM
Talked to them today, and was told to send it back. We'll see what happens. Can't help but be kind skeptical after the emails.

cbrick
01-06-2014, 07:30 PM
In all probability you'll in less than two weeks including shipping time you'll get a completely new mold back.

Rick

Gtek
01-06-2014, 09:17 PM
I am very surprised by initial response. I have had nothing but over the top from them on the few times I have made a call. Gtek

leadman
01-06-2014, 10:48 PM
I have had great service from RCBS in the past. One thing that has me wondering about them is when my RCBS lead pot thermostat gave up. They sent me a new one, no charge, which is great, but the thermostat was a different brand and had a 50 degree spread from off to on. called again and they sent me out another new one, great service again. This thermostat was exactly the same so called and asked to speak with the tech that fixed the pots. He told me this is their new standard. I told him that spread was way to large as the alloy went from too cold to just right, then to too cold again. I finally made a pid and now am happy.

From my many years working on trucks and heavy equipment in this situation I would have heated up the mold and then hit the offending screw with a spray penetrating oil. This seems to get the oil in where it will work. Good idea to do it outside as there are usually alot of fumes. Fire extenguisher handy also.

Charley
01-17-2014, 06:41 PM
Got the mold back today, setscrews replaced (and even with the bottom of the mold, not screwed in bearing against the pins) Same mold, can tell by the heat discoloration where I worked the screw. I'm happy to say RCBS took care of it. Might want to work to get their email and phone policies in sync with each other.

cbrick
01-17-2014, 07:29 PM
Glad it worked out for ya Charley. :mrgreen:

You must have gotten somebody with the email that was having a tough day, maybe somebody new and wasn't up to speed or something. RCBS really is that good on warranty. Just goes to prove nobody walks on water, not even RCBS.

Rick

RobS
01-17-2014, 11:26 PM
Good to hear that RCBS is still reputable and willing to work with their customers.

kywoodwrkr
01-18-2014, 01:36 PM
From my many years working on trucks and heavy equipment in this situation I would have heated up the mold and then hit the offending screw with a spray penetrating oil. This seems to get the oil in where it will work.
This is the method printed in some of the older engine rebuilding manuals for removing galley plugs prior to engine block cleaning.
Heat red hot and spray with kerosene or WD-40!
Cooling action sucks it in around threads. Makes removal possible.
If you don't think the cooling, and subsequent sucking in after heating doesn't work, ask some one who has experienced a fire and ask where smoke got sucked in when fireman put down the heat! Hint-EVERYWHERE, even sealed containers!

Walter Laich
01-19-2014, 02:05 PM
glad to hear it finally worked out.

GOPHER SLAYER
01-19-2014, 03:12 PM
Liquid Wrench worked every time I used it.

Duckiller
01-20-2014, 03:39 PM
If you got it from Midway why didn't you have them get it fixed?

cbrick
01-20-2014, 04:23 PM
If you got it from Midway why didn't you have them get it fixed?

All Midway could do is either refund the money or replace it. If they didn't have another one in stock it could be a long time waiting, returning it to RCBS was the best option.

So Charley, how's it cast?

Rick

Charley
01-21-2014, 02:30 PM
All Midway could do is either refund the money or replace it. If they didn't have another one in stock it could be a long time waiting, returning it to RCBS was the best option.

So Charley, how's it cast?

Rick
Been too busy to find out!

Charley
01-22-2014, 07:32 PM
Casts beautifully when up to temperature. Only other problem was the handle slots were too narrow to install RCBS handles! Had to do some file work to narrow them bit. No big deal, but I should not have had to. Musta been made Friday afternoon just before quitting time, or Monday morning, when everybody was hungover. Anyway, problems are over now it is useable.