PDA

View Full Version : Rockchucker dissassembly

richhodg66
12-30-2013, 10:20 AM
In the process of moving and setting up my reloading bench to a new place. For years, it had been out in my barn which is not climate controlled and the press had a lot of accumulated dust and gunk on it, so I decided to break it all down and clean it up.

How do you get the two big linkages off the main body of the press? It looks to me like you just drive out two big pins they ride on, but I figured I'd ask first in case I'm missing something and I don't want to damage the press.

Goggling didn't give me an answer. I've found exploded views of all the parts obviously, but no where does it tell you how to take it apart.

cheese1566
12-30-2013, 10:32 AM
I believe the pins are "knurled" a little bit on one end to keep them in place and prohibit walking. Will take a little more force to punch them out.
I recall the ram must be removed to get the two upper pins out.
https://cheese1566gunsandstuff.shutterfly.com/419

Below is a pic of the two linkages and their upper holes. One of their pins is shown in the upper right corner. When the pins are punched through, they will fall down through the ram shaft. Be careful when punching them out and tapping them back in. You don't want to crack or bust the outside arms of the press body where the pins fasten the linkages.91985

richhodg66
12-30-2013, 11:02 AM
You know, upon further looking at this, I may just clean it the best I can without removing those. I really don't want to risk damaging it to where there would be any slop in it. This is my primary press my dad gave me 20+ years ago, don't wanna screw it up.

GabbyM
12-30-2013, 11:18 AM
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?111893-Disassembly-of-a-Rock-Chucker-press

Try the above link to a castboolits thread. I'll just cut and paste it here to make life easy.

Disassembly of a Rock Chucker press.. By 3006guns

In another thread I was asking for guidance in taking my 1974 Rock Chucker apart for some needed "sprucing up". I decided to post the process in case anyone else may need the information. This is assuming you have the press laying on your work bench and are staring at, wondering how they put it together in the first place!

1.) With the press securely anchored in PADDED vise jaws, place a large adjustable wrench on the reduction bushing on top. Give the end of the wrench handle a solid tap with a hammer and it will come loose easily. Remove it and place in your parts tray.

2. Look at the pin at the bottom of the ram. You'll probably notice that one end is flush with the ram and the other end is slightly recessed. You want to drive it out from the recessed end, making note of which way it goes back in. The ram can now be removed either from the bottom or out through the bushing hole. Caution: if the ram sticks as it passes through the casting, push it back through and find out why. There was a small burr on the end of my ram which I dressed with a file. Had I forced the ram through it would have scored the bore of the main casting. Remove the ram and set it in your parts tray.

3. There are two pins at the top of the link arms and one of them has a 1/4" hole. Use a piece of 1/4" drill rod (or other suitable metal) and slide it through the hole until it touches the opposite pin. Give the end of the rod a few taps with your hammer and the pin will come out. Note that there is straight line knurling on the pin to keep it anchored, so remember which way it goes back in. Turn the press around and insert your rod through the casting hole to the edge of the other pin and tap it out. Try not to slip and damage the hole in the pin. Like the other, it has knurling also. Put everything in your parts tray.

4.) Remove the nut on the lower cross pin and slide the lower handle assembly to one side off the pin.

5.) Remove the handle

These are well built presses, assembled using standard engineering techniques and are not hard to take apart once you understand how they were put together originally.

richhodg66
12-30-2013, 11:43 AM
You know, I tried several searches last night, I wonder why this thread didn't come up? Thanks very much, I made a new top for my bench last night which will be a lot nicer and now I'm eager to get things set back up.

Due to various circumstances, I haven't lived full time where my reloading stuff was for a few years. After retiring from the Army, changed jobs and moved into this house with a big basement but we've kept our old place in hopes of moving back there when I retire for good. I've only been able to reload when I was there, and now I've finally got everything in one place. I will say as I was getting stuff boxed up, I put off removing the press until last and it was kind of a significant emotional event, I hate not being able to handload, even though I know it's only a short time.

GabbyM
12-30-2013, 01:12 PM
Upon assembly. What I use is wheel bearing grease. It will fill the grain in cast iron after a while.