PDA

View Full Version : Daughter at Range

Bzcraig
12-30-2013, 02:30 AM
Took my wife and 40yo daughter to the range today. Wife has gone a few times in the past but the daughter hasn't gone since she was maybe 12 or 13, never asked or showed any interest until this Christmas. Her and the granddaughter were here at Christmas and don't know why but I brought out my new to me GP100 to show her. Her interest was piqued! She asked a few questions and before she left I had brought out 5 handguns and 3 rifles. She said she wanted to learn to shoot and to buy a handgun. You guessed it, a range trip was planned and everyone had a great time. After showing her all the safety stuff and standing next to her for about 50rds, I backed off and just kept an eye on her as she shot a little PPK clone I have in 22lr. She then shot some full power 9mm out of my PX4 which she was a bit intimidated by. Finally she and the wife shared the GP100 with 38's loaded with 3gr of Trailboss. They shot through 100 of those in no time. I had taken 6rds loaded with 2.8gr & 2.5gr of TB as well trying to find a super light and accurate load for the wife to be able to shoot a lot since she is recoil sensitive. The 2.5grs shot softer than the 22 in the little PPK clone. I shot two to check for function then let each of them shoot 2 and got 4 thumbs up on those. As we were driving away from the range, daughter asked, "when we going again." Music to my ears! This will encourage my wife to want to go more too! Downside......reloading costs are going up, upside shooting with wife AND daughter!
What a day.....church then the range with family, does that just sound too American?

TheCelt
12-30-2013, 08:18 AM
You can NEVER sound to American!!! You did it right and created a couple of responsible shooters, congrats!!!

CastingFool
12-30-2013, 09:22 AM
That's great, Bzcraig! Reminds me of the time I brought my RBH home. Showed to my wife (wasn't overly impressed) then showed it to my daughter (who had shot .22's before, but never showed that much interest in firearms) and she grabbed it and said "mine, mine, mine!" I said, no way, but you can shoot it. So I bought 3 boxes of ammo, and took her out. She loved it, and after shooting one box, she said she couldn't wait to do it again. Unfortunately, those plans kinda went by the wayside, and she has not wanted to go shooting again. Kids and family take up a lot of her time. Now, my oldest granddaughter is beginning to show an interest in going hunting, as her daddy just started and got a beautiful 9pt.

rnelson11
12-30-2013, 09:44 AM
I bought my 21 year old daughter a P238 for Christmas and she said that it was the best present ever. She wanted to go shooting so we went that afternoon. She also shot my son's new PS90.

Funny thing is that her boyfriend and I are shooting 6" spreads and she's cutting out the bulls-eye at 20 yards.

gray wolf
12-30-2013, 01:23 PM
Way to go, good job, always teach someone willing to learn.

w5pv
12-30-2013, 01:43 PM
Teach responsibility and safety,I can not get my wife,daughters or grand daughters to shoot at all.They show no interest at all in learning.My wife's dad accidentally shot himself when she was about 11 years old and she still has bad memoirs of the incident.

Bulldogger
12-30-2013, 08:12 PM
Sounds like a great day and good progress made too.
It does sound like a good American Day.
My personal favorite is my Great American Date where I pick up my girl on my antique Harley then take her to the range and then go out for cheeseburgers!
Bulldogger

btroj
12-30-2013, 08:51 PM
My GP100 has introduced around a dozen new shooters to the sport. Great gun with special loads for a new shooter.

What is better than range time with the family?

Bzcraig
12-30-2013, 09:34 PM
What is better than range time with the family?

Maybe all NEW guns for the family to shoot at the range?

Teddy (punchie)
12-30-2013, 09:43 PM
Sound Great to Me !! :) .

[smilie=1:Maybe someday we can start shooting as a family:Fire::Fire::Fire::Fire: Girls are too young at 7. Need some more time, Daddy has enough toys is for sure. But A GP100 is one on the list to get. Also need a couple light rifles.

btroj
12-30-2013, 10:20 PM
Maybe all NEW guns for the family to shoot at the range?

That would be better.