PDA

View Full Version : Colt Repair Service-Outstanding.

NVcurmudgeon
11-28-2007, 05:58 PM
I have an excellent condition Colt Police Positive Special made in 1966. One day it threw the front sight over my shoulder, never to be seen again. Colt DA parts are near impossible to find. I have communicated with several expert gunsmiths. One offered to make me a new front sight at a cost about equal to the value of the revolver, when the "necessary" testing and handling fees were included. i did manage to find a like new barrel, complete with sight. (Thanks, onceabull.)Another seemed to work only on those Colts that he was authorized to completely rebuild. Or at any rate, he never answered my E-mail asking if he would ONLY change the barrel. I put the PPS in a dark corner of the safe and waited to stumble into information leading to a competent Colt gunsmith.

Sometime in the past year somebody posted here a report of his tour of the Colt factory, with full information on their repair service. I sent my revolver to Colt on Oct. 24. It was delivered today, Nov. 28. I have had firearms tied up for months, and even once for years, by primadonna gunsmiths. It was quite an experience to get my Colt back in five weeks, including two holidays and round trip shipping. The new barrel looks exactly like the original, and I think the trigger is better, probably a secret Colt lubricant. The total labor charge was $52. The two way air freight was $67. Never again will a gunsmith hold a Colt of mine hostage. Too bad Colt doesn't have parts.

onceabull
11-28-2007, 08:10 PM
NvC: Congrats !!,at last a fix..I was actually beginning to feel like I should buy that barrel back ! [smilie=1: Onceabull :roll:

9.3X62AL
11-28-2007, 08:58 PM
COMPETENT Colt gunsmiths are pretty rare, and they seem to know it and act accordingly. I'm very happy to hear that you were able to get the PPS up and running again. The cost is nominal, when you think about it.

You'll recall our discussion with Urny in the restaurant this summer concerning the advancing hand for the 32 Pocket Positive, and the source he suggested. No dice. I think a D-frame hand can be adapted to the task, and I'm going to try the venture myself--the bottom step on the existing hand is "peened out", so something needs doing. I can only imagine how much a "one-off" part would cost to have made and installed by one of the few shops able to take it on.