PDA

View Full Version : New(to me) reloading Press I need info on

skeet028
12-30-2013, 12:30 AM

Just picked this press up as an enticement recently in a deal on a Ponsness Warren Metallic II press an Easton Big Giant and a couple of Lyman 45 sizers and other stuff. Don't know a maker or any other info on the press. Heavy, well made, takes normal shellholders but is only a single hole press. Since I am a collector of sorts before I get rid of this I'd like to get some info on it. Anybody here got a clue on a brand or where I may find some info?? I kinda like the H type of press but this misses being an H as it has to be mounted on the edge of the loading bench.

Sweetpea
12-30-2013, 12:52 AM
I don't know what it is, but I know I want it...

Does that make me a press HUOOR?

jmort
12-30-2013, 01:00 AM
I agree, that thing looks cool.

Alvarez Kelly
12-30-2013, 01:00 AM
I don't know what it is, but I know I want it...

Does that make me a press HUOOR?

Yes. :-)

Looks like a swaging press to me.

AlaskanGuy
12-30-2013, 01:02 AM
Isnt that a Swaging Press?? Old Corbin or something???

LUBEDUDE
12-30-2013, 02:40 AM
Swaging is the first thing that comes to my mind as well.

Though I don't believe it is a Texan, it looks like it has Texan bloodline.

AlaskanGuy
12-30-2013, 02:44 AM
Yea, the design of the top of the press is what says swager to me..

kd185
12-30-2013, 08:36 AM
is that aluminium or cast?

Anonym
12-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Very cool. Reminds me of the older CH "H-Press". Love these old tanks. I've got an old Texan Turret (think it's called a Model "T") and they are indestructible...

skeet028
12-30-2013, 02:20 PM
I seriously don't know who made it but I don't think it is a swaging press. Has some mechanical advantage but not an ungodly amount. Gonna try a magnet on all the parts to see what it may be made of. the handle is really odd shaped with 3 or 4 bends in it but seems to work just right. The rubber grip it had is about gone. Another thing that makes me think a reloading press rather than a swager is that it takes regular shellholders. Maybe I'll try a set of Herters or CH swaging 1/2 jacket dies in it. See how it does before I send it to the great sales listing(fleabay) in the sky. I didn't pay a wow price for it but still wasn't cheap. The whole deal at the gun show was very expensive. But I got a Pre War Winchester M-70 in 22 Hornet in the deal. Unhappily it had been re-chambered to K Hornet..But I've always like the Kilbourne version....and it was bought to sell anyway. I also got a post war 70 in Hornet...which I am going to keep...sigh! Keeping the Metallic II also I think. I do like the H type presses. I happen to have 15 now

N4AUD
12-30-2013, 02:30 PM
Is it possible it isn't a factory made press but a one-off made by a talented machinist? Just about every factory will stamp a product somewhere.

skeet028
12-30-2013, 02:54 PM
Well if it isn't factory made the guy that made it HAD to be a great machinist. Would put me all to shame for certain. LOL

seagiant
12-30-2013, 03:00 PM
Swaging is the first thing that comes to my mind as well.

Though I don't believe it is a Texan, it looks like it has Texan bloodline.

Hi,
Are we talking presses or bloodhounds!!! Yea it looks like an early Corbin swage to me!

dbosman
12-30-2013, 04:41 PM
I wanted to say swaging press, also. But...
It's familiar except the linkage strikes me as wrong for what's tickling my brain.
The 1.25 to 7/8s adapter makes it look commercial.

Maybe someone broke a commercial press and said "never again"?

Pressman
12-30-2013, 05:13 PM
I would say it is a ? I have not seen anything like it.
As far as a staging press the aluminum top rules that out. And Corbin would never use aluminum on a staging press.
The linkage is curious, kind of a cross between Pacific and RCBS.
Interesting design.
Ken

seagiant
12-30-2013, 06:41 PM
Hi,
Well,it LOOKS strong! Can we all agree it's not home made????

Pressman
12-30-2013, 10:27 PM
Now that I am home and can examine the pictures closer, I posted this afternoon from my cell phone, I see the entire press is made of aluminum. The "C" link is the weak point though its shape is probably a way to try to get around the RCBS patent. Under heavy sizing or swagging it will snap in half. Redding used a similar link shape on their first press and it was notorious for breaking one of the two links. With just a single link strength would be very limited.
Still, it is an interesting design. The aluminum construction and modified swing arm linkage indicate late 1950's production. As for no markings that is not uncommon. I have several presses that are obviously made in a factory and are without any markings. It would be fun to post a series of them on the board if I had the time.
Ken

oger
12-31-2013, 07:58 AM
Looks like a great Gunshow find. There simply isn't much of anything around here that isn't related to black guns or Glocks. I actually did see a really ragged Lyman 45 at the last local show but it's been a while. I honesty don't think I've ever come across a pre-war Hornet for sale in the 40 years I've been going to shows. Did they drill the rear bridge of the Hornet?

skeet028
12-31-2013, 02:04 PM
No the receiver wasn't drilled. However it had a scope mounted at one time. the type that was mounted to the receiver sight mounting holes and the rear sight dovetail. But the original rear sight had been replaced and the scope removed. Just so happens i had one of the mounts with a period scope. A Lyman Alaskan 2 1/2 power. Mounted and sent a guy a picture back east in Tennessee. He bought the whole package immediately. For a LOT more than I had in it. Bought an old Winchester pre war stock not too long ago that had been carved in the German style. Paid 65 bucks for it..but it was a Super grade stock and marked in the bbl channel 22 Hornet. Even had the carvers name under the butt plate. They used to checker Winchester special order stocks. Happened to know them...many years ago

oger
12-31-2013, 04:28 PM
Glad they didn't drill the rear bridge. It was probably rechambered a long time ago before the modern type scopes were popular. Unless the money offer was really that good I probably would have kept it I really like prewar model 70s but that is me.

skeet028
01-05-2014, 08:37 PM
Well made enough to pay for the other Hornet and have a little left over. I have a few pre War M-70s Sold one last year in 7.65 Belgian/Argentine. They only made 10-15 of them. Used some of the money and took momma on a cruise. Still have another Hornet a 250-3000 A Roberts and a 35 Rem. Also have a M-70 bbl in 9mm. Bought it and a pre war stock at a very small gun show for 70 bucks many years ago. It was a take off and the gun was rebarreled by Win to 30-06. Tried to buy the rifle for many years. No go. Never shot according to the original buyer. He paid 30 dollars for the rifle in 1950 new and sent it to Winchester to be re-barreled. Dated 36. I will find a pre war 06 or something and have it put on one day...just for grins. Take it to the Winchester show in Cody..drive 'em wild. I know the guy that does the factory Winchester letters. LOL. The records on much Winchester stuff is sorely lacking by the way..at least for 1900s and newer guns

oger
01-06-2014, 04:52 AM
My problem is I don't ever sell any of the ones I get. Just recently came across two very early 2 digit 06s for a real good price but it's been quite a while since anything like that has come my way. You really can find some strange Pre-war stuff because I think they would build just about anything you were willing to pay for and were quite happy to use up all the 54 parts they had laying around.

skeet028
01-11-2014, 01:26 AM
Well they used the parts they had for the 54s till about 42. The bbls weren't rollmarked till gun was made I think. That is why they made the odd calibers like the 9mm. Catalogued in the 54..And yep..Winchester would make you almost anything you asked for. I had a 21 in 410. Guy had it made in 1950..and the original letter said it would not be a trim sleek gun as they would have to use the 20 ga frame. They were right. It was kinda ugly..The fellows brother had a 28 ga made at the same time. Better looking but still odd. Not at all like my Parker gun in 410 VHE and the Ithaca I have in 28 ga. Grade 4 ejector gun. The made only 6..according to Doug Turnbull. He's gonna get it to re-furbish it. The fellow that had it made even hunted quail with that little gun. He was an All American skeet shooter from the 30s.