PDA

View Full Version : I want it, I want it, I want it

Lead melter
11-28-2007, 03:20 PM
Would someone with more knowledge than me {well, that takes care of the easy part] please give me a lead on finding a 35 Whelen barrel for a Handi-Rifle?
Last year the catalog came out with the "new for 2006...35 Whelen" blurb. I called ASAP and was told there was no problem. Shipped off my NEF, waited 3 months for a reply, and called back. Then was told there was a problem getting the barrels, to call back in 3 months.
Tick, tick, tick, tick. Called again and was told they had been discontinued. 2007 catalog came out, with....you guessed it...35 Whelen as an option.
Called again...sorry, it has been discontinued, but maybe you can find one at a gun shop. :groner:
It's not only driving me to drink, but heroin is starting to look good.
Anybody got a line on this beast? And yeah, if you got one, go ahead and gloat...I need someone to be jealous of.

[smilie=b:

Scrounger
11-28-2007, 05:14 PM
Greybeards has a Forum strictly for Handis-- http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php?board=126.0 --. Check with them. they may have one for sale or know where one can be had.

OBXPilgrim
11-28-2007, 06:58 PM
The older ones are the ones to have - Rocky Mtn Elk Foundation medallion in the stock. From what I've heard, they all worked pretty good, but are hard to find. Good luck with those.

The most recently produced 35 Whelens were mostly recalled and/or replaced. They either had a headspace issue or folks had issues with some batches of factory ammo with them or both - misfires, light hammer strikes, etc. Heard some complaints that were aimed each way as to the culprit.

They quit making the 35 Whelen after that. About the only to get one is to rechamber a .357 mag barrel, but that leaves you with a 1-18 3/4" twist-light bullet gun - although my .357 mag chambered Handi will accept .360 Dan Wesson loads seated to .357 Maximum length & stabilize 200gr slugs.

Might be just the thing for a high velocity/low RPM 250gr slug slingin' 35 whelen, huh?