PDA

View Full Version : Early Colt SP1 Question

birch
12-29-2013, 07:47 PM
I did some trading and ended up with a mint condition 1967 SP1. It is a work of art. It has the original Edgewater buffer and smooth side bolt carrier, cast FSB and non chrome lined barrel.

I was looking over the fire control group and noticed that the hammer did not have any markings whatsoever. I thought that all Colt Hammers were marked. Can anyone either confirm or deny my claim.

Also, if there are any old SP1 collectors out there, I would appreciate any and all insight as to what exact features this gun should have. The serial number is 105XX.

Thanks and take care.

Outpost75
12-29-2013, 07:52 PM
Many years ago I signed out and tested an early SP1 in the serial number range 0079X and remember that the hammer was not marked.

That particular gun probably still remains in that federal government agency reference collection.

birch
12-29-2013, 08:28 PM
The guy I got this from had a three digit gun, a 1967 (mine), and another that he called a shooter. I am also supposed to be getting a picture of the gun with the Detroit Police officer who privatly purchased the gun in 1968.

I just hope my children love guns as much as I do. At this rate, they are not going to have much of a trust fund.

Thanks for the input. If I can get another feller (or dame) to confirm this, I will put it to rest.

Mumblypeg
12-29-2013, 09:28 PM
I don't know if this is a real answer but I have an SP1, ser. # 346XX. On the left side of the hammer at the top, just above the middle of the curve is something but I can't swear it's a meaningful marking. It's sort of a circle with maybe a number 4 or the letter A. So faint I can't tell even with it magnified. That's the best I can do.....

birch
12-29-2013, 09:42 PM
Yup, I have the same thing. I thought it just might be a grinding wheel smudge or something.

Thanks a bunch!

By the way, I have actually tried to put muffs on my dog while shooting. I know that some of my "fun" has contributed to some of hear hearing loss in old age. I sometimes forget how loud pistols are without muffs. One time I looked over and my dog was doing some business about 6 feet to the right of my muzzle. Now she goes inside--that is unless you have a patent on those muffs. In that case--I'll take a pair!!!

Multigunner
12-30-2013, 12:08 AM
By the way, I have actually tried to put muffs on my dog while shooting. I know that some of my "fun" has contributed to some of hear hearing loss in old age. I sometimes forget how loud pistols are without muffs. One time I looked over and my dog was doing some business about 6 feet to the right of my muzzle. Now she goes inside--that is unless you have a patent on those muffs. In that case--I'll take a pair!!!
My Plott never visibly reacted to a gun shot no matter how loud. His hearing was supernaturally sharp but apparently his brain filtered out noises above a certain level. I've heard Calvary Horses were the same when it came to gunshots, probably through training.

Nickle
12-30-2013, 12:09 AM
I've heard Colt outsourced a majority of the parts that went into the M16A1, which is from this time frame.

Seems like what I heard was they made 11 parts, outsourced the rest. Granted, they were major parts.

birch
12-30-2013, 08:44 AM
I have heard that as well. I am trying to find the "The Black Rifle" book to find out for sure. If anyone has this book, I would be very interested.

Nickle
12-30-2013, 11:36 PM
That was one of my sources for the info. Mine is buried in the house somewhere, if I still have it.

birch
01-03-2014, 12:30 AM
For those interested, I did some research and found out that Colt did not have to mark any of the internals or upper receivers prior to 1968 as they were the only manufacturer of AR Parts! That little smudge on the hammer that I thought might be a proof mark of some sort is actually just a finishing smudge. Even the bolt carrier is not marked with any letter of identification. There is only a MP stamped on the bolt.

I got it out on sunday and it is a flawless running accurate machine. I have decided that it will not be a safe gun. I am going to use it as god intended--punching holes in paper and blowing up milk jugs. For those who have never seen or handled one of these guns, I highly suggest it. There were four people with AR's of various configurations and they all had a ball shooting my 46 year old Ar with no forward assist and carry handle sights. There is something about shooting a piece of history and I am glad I decided to shoot the ol' girl.

If anyone has an SP1 and would like to do some comparisons of features or anti-features in the case of the SP1, I would love it!

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 02:10 AM
SP1s have 12" twists and they love the 52 gr Speer HP over 25.5 gr H335. Very, very deadly on coyote and will do nasty things to 'bits (that a rab'bit! Cause a bit goes here and a bit goes there). Should bedevil the heck out of milk jugs. The 225462 over 19 gr Varget with a 1/3 gr Dacron filler is quite accurate at 2250 fps. I use that load in my own AR (top one with EoTech sight) which has a M16 upper and the same 20" barrel your SP1 has with the 12" twist. I've also had and shot numerous SP1s in the past.

Target shows 100 and 200 yard 10 shot groups with given 225462 load. That's about the best I can do with the dot sight. Keeping 10 shots or a mag full on a reduced B27 target at 300 yards is easy.

Larry Gibson

birch
01-03-2014, 03:03 PM
That is a fine group! I love the Eotech you have mounted above the carry handle on the top one.

I have many guns that will put them in one inch at 100 yards, but a good 4-5 inch group with the SP1 is about all a feller cans ask with that sighting system. I am on the hunt for a Howa made 4x scope to mount on the carry handle in the future. That should be fun.

I also bought a .225 bator 55gr from a fellow cast member and can't wait to see what it will do. The edgewater buffer only weights 1.8 ounces, so I am thinking I might be able to get some .22 mag velocities with reliable cycling. A hope any ways.

Larry Gibson
01-03-2014, 08:59 PM
I love the Eotech you have mounted above the carry handle on the top one.

Mounted that way in front of the hand guard the EoTech is co-axial with the sights. I have the issue sights zeroed at the prescribed 250 meters and then just adjust the dot to sit on top of the front sight. That gives me a perfect 200 yard zero with the dot. Makes a neat sight picture through the sights but I normally just look over the rear sight, put the dot on target and smoothly pull the trigger. If the batteries die or the EoTech should go Tango Uniform I just use the sights.

Larry Gibson