PDA

View Full Version : NRA raffle

starmac
12-29-2013, 06:47 PM
The NRA raffle gave 50 prizes yesterday evening at our local sportsmans. You didn't have to be present to win, but you got to pick your winnings if you were there.
They were all pretty nice prizes, any of them well worth the 50 buck ticket price, and the chance of winning something were decant odds.

No luck for me, but it was worth the price watching folks picks of the prizes. lol The only short mag rifle was a remington extreme weather in 300 wsm,it wasn't picked until somewhere in the last 10 prizes, a pink taurus something or other was next to last.

Crawdaddy
12-29-2013, 07:37 PM
Can't even count the money I spent at NRA raffles, so far haven't won anything. It goes to a good cause.

One day, I will win something!

I get a real kick out of the live auctions, I always manage to get a knife or something. I scare the heck out of my wife every time I throw my hand in the air.

starmac
12-29-2013, 08:43 PM
I just found it funny. I think a swing blade knife and a trail cam (one prize) and a badlands pack, were the cheapest prizes. Both of these were picked well in advance of the above mentioned remington, quite a few other nice guns and even 400 dollar gift certificates from sportsmans. I was like, what is going through their minds. lol

bhn22
12-29-2013, 10:11 PM
I won a rifle at an Izak Walton drawing. I was all excited to hear that I won a 30-06 Remington!

Then I found out it was a 770.

Anyway, I met their dealer at the next gun show and picked up my beautiful new rifle, filled out the paperwork, and headed for the door. A friend of mine had a table by the exit, and I sold him the new rifle for $200.00 cash. WalMart sells them for $280.00, all day long. So I actually won $200.00 at an Izak Walton raffle. It was the only thing I ever won in a raffle.

starmac
12-29-2013, 11:08 PM
They gave away 37 guns yesterday, the only remingtons were the extreme weather 300 wsm, and a SPS 30/06. The line up varied from a heritage rough rider to a kimber ultra carry on the handguns, an olimpic ar 15 (the first pic) but included some weatherbys, howas down to the henry Ar7. Shotguns were mossburg silver reserve (probably would have been my pick had I won) beretta and benalli down to a stoeger OU. There were some nice choices, and like I said some nice choices lasted close to the end.

contender1
12-29-2013, 11:51 PM
Sounds like you had a good time.
As a long time volunteer for these NRA things, I can say this. It's a lot of work pulling all this stuff together. First you have to solicit donations, (knives, trail cams etc) and then buy products within a budget. Next you have to sell enough tickets to cover costs, AND make a good profit. The NRA likes to see double your investment, (or more.) That means if you spend $1000 to put on the raffle, they want at least $2000 to come back in.
I will say "Thank You" to all who do buy tickets, and help out.
I am starting a "Pre-Event ammo raffle" this week. We are pulling together a bunch of ammo to raffle off. We have 2500 rounds of 22 LR, some 25 ACP, .380, 38 Spl, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 S&W, .410, 20 Ga. & 12 Ga. so far,,,! Lots of work pulling it all together.

starmac
12-30-2013, 12:13 AM
I don't know exactly how this worked. The target (and limit) was 950 tickets at 50 bucks a pop. I assume they made the target as mine was #883 and their table disappeared several days before the raffle date. I just assumed that businesses, and more importantly manufacturers, donated most of the gifts or at the very least sold them at a huge discount. There is a very limited amout of stores that sell guns here, so I doubt they could have given the 37 firearms themselves.

This does make one wonder though, as these firearms companies were represented.
Olympic. Ar
Remington twice
beretta
kimber
S&W six times
howa
Mossberg twice
henry twice
savage twice
ruger six times
taurus twice
benelli
stoger
weatherby twice
heritage
citadel three times
braztech keltec
marlin
After looking at the line up, these must have been bought, probably at a discount from the local merchants. If donated things would have been different.

contender1
12-30-2013, 10:31 AM
Well, I'm sure a few things were donated. In my committee, we work HARD at getting donations. (I'm a chairman of a FoNRA committee.) But guns are the hardest to get donated, UNLESS by private individuals, or gun shops. The manufacturers get so many requests, it's hard for them to donate to everyone.
As for discounts.
There is a "NRA store" the Field Reps have access to. Unfortunately the "discounts" are not as deep as you'd hope for. For some brands, it's "dealer cost, and a few it's distributor cost.
My point in explaining all this is; It really helps to have folks buy tickets, and help any committee reach their goal of ticket sales. That way the raffle is considered a "success," and the volunteers feel as if their hard work is worth it.
Glad to see yours made their goal!

w5pv
12-30-2013, 12:00 PM
I enter the Shiners 50 gun give away every year to no avail but the money goes for a good cause.

starmac
12-30-2013, 04:56 PM
Contender I will check more into exactly how this works,because some companies were really represented well and some not so much or at all, Makes one wonder if some manufacturers are not supporting NRA better than others.

contender1
12-31-2013, 11:44 AM
Don't get on some companies as not supporting the NRA as much as you'd like to see. Often, they support heavily, but on a different level.
Example;
I happen to be a serious Ruger collector etc. I go to the SHOT Show and spend a lot of time with the Ruger folks. They haven't ever donated directly to my event, BUT,,,,,, they do a LOT for the NRA. Mr. Fifer has donated 1 million dollars of his own personal money to them. Plus, they did the "million gun challenge" where they gave $1 for every firearm produced from one NRA convention to the next. They wound up giving 1.24 million dollars to the NRA.
So, look closer at the big picture before condemning anybody.
By comparison, at SHOT last year, I had a company I was interested in their stuff. I was talking to the owner too. I politely asked if they would consider a donation to my FoNRA event. I got BLASTED by them. He actually came real close to cursing the NRA. And he's in the very business the NRA fights to protect. He has lost my business and I have shared that info with others. If interested, it was Tactical Inc. out of Bonners Ferry Id.