PDA

View Full Version : Boolit for Ruger 44 mag carbine

danski26
12-29-2013, 06:05 PM
Anyone have a boolit that they have found works well in the Ruger 44 mag carbine? I just bought one and would like to shoot cast boolits out of it if I can. I know Ruger warns not to shoot cast but when I searched the forum I see that some people have had success with cast.

scb
12-29-2013, 06:53 PM
I've used both 429421's and 427098's sized to .430. They functioned fine, accuracy was so so. Haven't worked with it much. I think I need to get a bigger sizer.

danski26
12-30-2013, 11:02 AM
Anyone using any LBT boolits in the Ruger?

Moonie
12-30-2013, 11:55 AM
I do not own one but this subject has come up before. The consensus is that because of issues with difficulty in disassembly and difficulty in cleaning the gas system that it is not recommended to shoot cast in them, do search for the previous posts though, good reading.

altheating
12-30-2013, 12:01 PM
I'm using the LBT 432 280 LFN out of my Ruger 77/44. I thing most manufacturers recommend not using cast bullets. Liability reasons i'm sure. It shoots great using 2400 powder, accuracy is great. As a matter of fact the pot is warming up as I type this to start casting more of them.

dbosman
12-30-2013, 05:27 PM
I shoot Keith style semi-wadcutters.
Yes, someday I'll have to completely disassemble the gun to clean out the gas system. So?
Until then, it's a really accurate, fun gun.

scb
12-30-2013, 07:21 PM
I do not own one but this subject has come up before. The consensus is that because of issues with difficulty in disassembly and difficulty in cleaning the gas system that it is not recommended to shoot cast in them, do search for the previous posts though, good reading.

Dis-assembly of the gas system requires the removal of ONE roll/spring pin

The removal of the trigger group pin the ejector screw and ejector allows the rest of it to come apart.

The gas port can be cleaned with a pipe cleaner or an appropriate size drill.

Not terribly complicated.

Old School Big Bore
12-30-2013, 07:39 PM
I bought one back when they first came out (it got stolen from the company safe at Fort Hood, if anyone disassembles one and finds my name scratched in the metal under the wood, I'd like it back, please), and shot some of the horrible WW swaged/Lubaloy SWCs in it and, despite the gas checks/plating, it promptly soldered the gas system together. I have acquired another and have only been shooting the J-word in my handloads in it. I guess I failed to learn my lesson because I tried some - how do I tell you who they were from without saying their name? "Hi-Ho Silver"? commercial cast boolits in my pet hot-rodded M1 Carbine and despite the alleged precious metal in those, yep, soldered the piston. Just not having good luck with CBs in gas guns...

danski26
12-30-2013, 08:45 PM
When I looked at it I didn't think the dis-assembly looked too bad. I only shoot cast in the 44 mag so if it turns out I cant shoot cast in this Ruger it will go down the road. I'm glad to hear that several boolit designs work. My normal plinking load is with a 250 Kieth plain base at about 1000 FPS. I think I will just try this load and then take the rifle apart to see if there is any problems.

dbosman
12-30-2013, 11:32 PM
scb did skip loosening the barrel band and removing the stock. ;-)

The following video takes about as long to watch as dis-assembly, cleaning, lubricating and re-assembly takes.
Pay attention to the spring. Don't ask. Cat hair describes enough of the problem.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muV5e-3E4Dg

danski26 if it doesn't work well with cast send it to me for disposal. I'm a bit slow though. It might take me a couple of decades to finish the job.

MichigammeDave
12-31-2013, 12:18 AM
I shoot 200 grain and 240 grain cast in my Model 96 Ruger, both over 2400 powder. Both are RNFP, and work very well with a variety of loads.