PDA

View Full Version : can you ship to gunsmith

LUCKYDAWG13
12-29-2013, 06:03 PM
can you ship a gun to a gunsmith without going through a FFL ? and can they ship back to your door

aspangler
12-29-2013, 06:07 PM
If for repair only. He can accept the gun, fix it, and ship it back to you after repair. Better check with him first. Some won't accept guns shipped to them, only ones brought in.

Idz
12-29-2013, 06:14 PM
Federal BATFE rules allow it for repair but your State probably has more rules. Handguns cannot be sent through the USPS by a non-FFL but can be shipped via UPS or FEDEX if your state allows it. If your gunsmith is in your state you should talk to them. Remember the gun laws are designed to harass legal gun owners so don't try to apply logic.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-29-2013, 07:34 PM
ok thanks

John Taylor
01-01-2014, 11:46 AM
Most of my business is from guns being shipped to me and I ship them back. You don't need to go through another FFL. USPS requires pistols to go between FFL or law enforcement. UPS wants pistols to go one day ( cost more). Not sure what Fed-Ex has. I do not us USPS for anything of value, their insurance is a joke.

pietro
01-01-2014, 07:57 PM

FWIW - FAQ, from BATF, regarding GCA-68 (aka: Federal Gun Law): http://www.atf.gov/files/firearms/industry/0501-firearms-top-10-qas.pdf

7. May I lawfully ship a firearm directly to an out-of-State licensee, or must I have a licensee in my State ship it to him? May the licensee return the firearm to me, even if the shipment is across State lines ?

Any person may ship firearms directly to a licensee in any State, with no requirement for another licensee to ship the firearm.

However, handguns are not mailable through the United States Postal Service (by a non-FFL holder) and must be shipped via common or contract carrier.(18 U.S.C. §§ 1715).

Firearms shipped to FFLs for repair or any other lawful purpose may be returned to the person from whom received without transferring the firearm through an FFL in the recipient’s State of residence.

FFLs may also return a replacement firearm of the same kind and type to the person from whom received. 18 U.S.C. § 922(a)(2)(A).

fecmech
01-02-2014, 06:41 PM
I have sent both handguns and long guns back for repair to the manufacturer using just a contract carrier with no problems. Firearms were shipped back to me directly by the manufacturer. No muss no fuss.