PDA

View Full Version : My New Toy...

Gun-adian
11-28-2007, 03:04 AM
Here's my new wrist-breaker.

Kinda comes under the heading "Don't know what it's good for, but it's gonna be fun finding out!!"

A Remington 870 Express Magnum 12 Gauge with an 8.5 inch barrel. (OUCH!!)

How is this possible, you may ask??

Up here in Canada, these type of firearms are not under any kind of restriction so long as they came from the "factory" this way and are not an autoloader. This means you cannot take old Uncle George's pumpgun and pimp it out with a hacksaw.

The Canadian company that puts these out, Dlask Arms, manufactures the barrels for these, so they qualify as "factory" guns. Actually, a fair bit of work went into these blasters. Not only did they make new barrels, they had to shorten the mag tube and action bars. The forearm's been cut back and has rails installed. The rails don't seem to be good for much other than tearing off a few layers of skin. Gloves for sure if your planning any high volume shooting.

Pretty cool bear gun, eh?? The best part of this cannon is the "Smiley Face" on the end of the mag tube. HAVE A NICE DAY YOGI!!! BOOM!!!

I tried it out on the weekend. Not too bad with trap loads, but it kicks like an SOB with my 525gr. Lyman slugs. I haven't had the courage to try it with 3 inch shells yet. One step at a time, boys.

Mike.

Buckshot
11-28-2007, 03:07 AM
...............You're crazy dude, but it sure looks like fun :-) !

..............Buckshot

Ghugly
11-28-2007, 06:48 AM
I like it! I've got no idea whatever what I'd do with it...........but I want one anyway.

VTDW
11-28-2007, 08:56 AM
Two handed grip for sure. One on the pistol grip and another on top of the receiver. Hang on tight.:drinks:

Dave

testhop
11-28-2007, 09:30 AM
wow that6 looks like a great peace maker

tom

Johnch
11-28-2007, 09:58 AM
LOL I think that will be my new winter CCW carry gun

Here in Ohio , you can get those toys
It will cost you $200 for the Fed paperwork for a short barreled shotgun
If I remember right
It is classifyed as AOW by the BATF

But I am planning on getting a can first

John

MT Gianni
11-28-2007, 10:13 AM
Sling it for cross carry or go with the holster? Gianni

trooperdan
11-28-2007, 10:15 AM
John, I may be wrong but I thought the federal fee for a AOW was only $5.

KCSO
11-28-2007, 11:59 AM
I LIKE the smiley face, sort of like the Judge who put one on an order of execution!

VTDW
11-28-2007, 12:11 PM
When I was young and dumb I cut down a single shot .410 to a 6 3/8" barrel and cut the pistol grip stock so it looked like a dragoon pistol. I had to shorten and reweld the spring but it would break open quite well. I absolutely could not hole it without my hand across the receiver or it would fly out of my hands. I decided if I was caught with it I would most likely be sentenced to 30 days with a trickle charger attached to my round thingies so I sold it for $10.

On another note, when I taught welding my students built a battering ram for the local SWAT team and they welded a happy face on the end of it. Wooden doors were left with a nice happy face impression on them with they used it.:drinks:

Dave

S.R.Custom
11-28-2007, 12:35 PM
John, I may be wrong but I thought the federal fee for a AOW was only $5.

For the ones under the old amnesty. New ones are different.

Crash_Corrigan
11-28-2007, 12:37 PM
If properly marketed I could make a good living selling these devices to motorists in Vegas who are tired of being victims of car jacking.

Imagine the surprise in the face of the 14 years of age Jacker when he sticks a .25 ACP Rohm Saturday Night Special into the window of the intended victim and he is greeted with a smiley face!

Oh the joy!

Remember the bull light spotlights on the old police cars? They were mounted on a swivel on the A pillar of the car. We could mount one of these, suitably camoflouged of course, on the driver side door to fend off boarders and other vermin.

Another fine use would be to have one handy by the front door when the Crips or the Bloods come calling for a home invasion! With the proper ammo you could take out a trio with one round. Save the citizens money on a trial....have a Coronor's Inquest instead!

Kidding aside; I have a Mossberg with a pistol grip and I could handle the short and low brass rounds ok but the 3 inch magnums about busted my arm and that was with a forend and an 18" bbl. I have never used it again.

Char-Gar
11-28-2007, 12:42 PM
Make it and somebody will buy it!

EMC45
11-28-2007, 01:00 PM
Agree with Crash on this one! Had a 18 in. Moss. years ago with the pistol grip and buttstock combo with the heat shield. It was unpleasant to fire with the PG.

wiljen
11-28-2007, 01:22 PM
LOL I think that will be my new winter CCW carry gun

Here in Ohio , you can get those toys
If I remember right

But I am planning on getting a can first

John

AOW is only $5 transfer its the SBR/SBS that requires the $200 fee.
AOW is pen guns, cane guns, etc.

Mk42gunner
11-28-2007, 01:33 PM
Recoil from any shotgun fired below shoulder level is handled much better with a normal stock cut behind the pistol grip, than with a vertical grip.

The Skipper on one of my ships bought a 20 guage mossberg combo, (18 or 20" and 28" barrels and both types of buttstocks) for his wife. After trying the pistol grip off the fantail he took it off and float tested it.

Robert

Artful
11-28-2007, 03:14 PM
AOW is only $5 transfer its the SBR/SBS that requires the $200 fee.
AOW is pen guns, cane guns, etc.

NFA stuff in America is a little fun, If it comes from the factory with short barrel and pistol grip and has never had a buttstock on it (and never will), it could be an AOW with $5 transfer tax. If you took a new receiver that has never had a barrel or stock on it and wanted to register at AOW it's $200 to make it tax unless your a SOT (Special Occuational Taxpayer , $500 per year licence).

If you want a shotty that you can put either pistol grip or buttstock on it will need to be registered as Short Barreled shotgun for $200. Same for Short barrel Rifle or Suppressor or Machine Gun transfer tax. (unfortunately in America no new machineguns can be made for civilian transfer only for .GOV or LEO)

Cane Guns, Penguns, Cellphone guns, Remote Keyfob guns, Zippo Lighterguns - AOW's like Pistols with two vertical grips would all have $5 transfer tax as AOW. But unless you are a SOT it will cost you $200 to make it. So if I have an HK pistol SP89 and what to install the vertical foregrip to make it a clone of MP5K I have to either spend $200 to make it or pay like $75 dollars to have my SOT register it as AOW and then do the $5 transfer to me. (actually as long as he charges under $195 I come out ahead).

Johnch
11-28-2007, 03:33 PM
If I remember right

John

As I said
"IF" I remember right

I have all the paper work in a folder waiting for 3 or 4 things

CASH to buy the toy
Cash for the Feds
The local head LEO to sign it ( he will , as I have already ask )

Don't remember if I have to donate to Ohio also

John

Morgan Astorbilt
11-28-2007, 03:50 PM
Doesn't look like the shortened magazine could hold more than two rounds. I think a sawed-off double would be a better bet. Faster on first two, and follow-up shots.
Morgan

PatMarlin
11-29-2007, 12:03 PM
I want on with ":mrgreen:" ...my favorite Castboolit Smiley.

Thank God ya'll can have one. I knew a guy that lived in grizz country with his family there in CAN and opted out of owning a gun cause they made it so difficult.. :roll:

1Shirt
11-29-2007, 12:49 PM
Think ya outta have two of them! One with a stock, the other a shorty. Believe if I were picking blueberries, or rose hips, etc, with a bear gun for back up, would like the stock and a fast whip around sling. would go with slug in the lead and 00 buck to follow up.On the other hand, if the car jacking routine were the prime factor, would like the shorty with skeet loads of #9. Would be fun to play with however!
1Shirt!:coffee:

whisler
11-29-2007, 09:21 PM
Please expain the achronym AOW. Not sure what that means. As far as "short barrel and pistol grip, never had a butt stock" would this apply to the old Stevens single shot .410 with the foot long barrel. I've seen one some time back but never knew if they were legal these days.

MtGun44
11-29-2007, 09:58 PM
AOW is "any other weapon", basically falls into the loophole range for
NFA. I toured the Serbu factory in Tampa a few years ago that converts Mossberg
500s to pistols, a lot like that one. Two shot mag, super short barrel, a
folding forward pistol grip. The owner, Mark Serbu, told me it was a $5 registration AOW.
He makes 50 cal rifles, too. Looked like a quality operation to me.

Bill

JohnH
11-29-2007, 10:20 PM
Interesting toy. Mid 1980's Guns and Ammo ran a regular ad, it was a $5.00 transfer fee, dont' know what else was involved, didn't persue it, though I thought about it a while. Finally came to the conclusion I didn't want one of those any where near me. Way too much legal ignorance in the local community, and the local cops would have assumed you'd done the job yourself, were illegal, looking for trouble and they'd have given it too you. While a call to the sherrifs office would confirm your status, it's too late if one of the up and coming neo military black boot thug cops decided to act rather than think and the shooting started. I stayed away, a conservative streak of self preservation won the day.

freedom475
11-30-2007, 02:10 AM
BE Careful if you try to aim it. It will come straight back and knock out your teeth. This hapened to my brother when we were kids with a Winchester Defender.

I'm laughing right now thinking of it. When he looked back at me I could see the big gap in his grill, part of his front tooth was still stuck in the grip. He says "it's not funny", he was more bothered by his looks than with the pain. We were able to get him a new tooth from the dentist on moms insurance the next day without haveing to tell dad.:mrgreen:

Gun-adian
12-01-2007, 12:02 PM
1Shirt.....It did come with a proper stock. I haven't tried it out with it yet because I switched it over to the pistol grip as soon as I got it home. I kinda think it looks better without it. It looked "bottom heavy" before I switched.

Morgan Astorbuilt.....It actually hold three rounds of 2 3/4" 12 Gauge shells in the mag tube. With 3" I'm thinking only two, because the 2 3/4" just fit. I would like to try the 1 1/2" Aguila shells to see how many I can get in the thing. Hopefully, they'll feed okay. Testing is required.

JohnH....There shouldn't be too much trouble up here with it. The barrel length is stamped right on the barrel along with the chambering and maufacturer. I think the only question I'll probably get from the cops is "Where can I get one?". Our Consevation Officers (game wardens) have already been instructed that these shotguns are what we call "non-restricted" and legal to carry.

Thanks for the comments, Gents.

Mike.

lathesmith
12-01-2007, 12:33 PM
Well then, all you need now is a quick-draw holster and you're all set...!

creekwalker
12-01-2007, 12:55 PM
A new shotgun action never assembled as such can be assembled as an AOW w/only the $5.00 Tax. This is done by a few companies the purchase these actions w/a serial # range documenting this fact and build and market them.

Price isn't bad and w/the right hand grip and forearm set up they're fine to shoot w/anything. Downside of course is you can't sight them like a shoulder mounted weapon or you'll get slapped in the kisser.

They have a purpose in certain specialized situations in the hands of a highly trained user, but other than that one of us would only use them as a "fun" gun. A Mossy or Remmy w/a 18" barrel and pistol grip stock is almost as cool and can also use a folding stock. Still in all I really like the 870 AOW packages.

creekwalker:-D