PDA

View Full Version : Help with Calipers

fishnbob
12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
I just knocked my calipers off the bench and the needle is pointing halfway around the scale on 50 when the jaws are closed. If I rotate the dial to match, everything I measure will have to be read upside down. Got any idea how to move the needle back upright?

John Boy
12-29-2013, 03:00 PM
Got any idea how to move the needle back upright? Yep, one has to remove the slide screws and move the teeth back so zero is at top dead center. Then tighten the tension again so the dial rotates easily. Be warned - it's not a slam bang simple task and the 1st time you do it ... you'll say a few curse words because there is no written instructions how to do it

w5pv
12-29-2013, 03:12 PM
Set your dial to 0 on top and use the little tool that comes with the set and gently slip it in between gear rail and dial and then slide it shut.If you don't have the little tool take a .0015 feeler gauge and a pair of scissors and cut you one about 1/8" wide and long enough slip it in.You can tell when you have the dial and gear rail disengaged by moving the dial part it should just slide and the dial needle stays on 0.Hope this helps Just hold the tool and slide the head upon it.

fishnbob
12-29-2013, 06:36 PM
I got it centered close enough to rotate the dial to the needle and now the slide won't work. I have a spare electronic one and the battery is dead!!!!