PDA

View Full Version : .22 LR Ammo at Cheaper than Dirt

williamwaco
12-29-2013, 10:14 AM
Plenty in stock at Cheaper than Dirt.

Just got this email from a buddy that lives 5 minutes from their store,

You remember those cans of sealed 22lr I got at Cabellas for about 20 bucks? CTD is selling them for 120. Can you believe it? 325 rounds.

Sent from my iPhone=

jcwit
12-29-2013, 11:11 AM
Cheaper than Dirt, I could care less.

RED333
12-29-2013, 01:07 PM
Sounds about right for CTD!

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2013, 02:11 PM
And so the story continues. What a bargain at .36 a round. Almost makes you want to go buy some. [smilie=b:[smilie=b: NOT!

If you must have some .22 LR ammo goto http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/ and look around.

This site is updating continuously, and you should be able to find something in the .12-15 a round price range.

Even this is too much but it is 3 times better than CTD and you don't have to succumb to buying anything from that FU outfit.

Randy

oldred
12-29-2013, 02:47 PM
This thing about CTD has been going on now since the panic began but you know what? SOMEBODY is enabling them otherwise they wouldn't still be doing it! Don't mis-understand, I am in NO WAY sticking up for them and I sincerely hope this backfires and they lose their butts over it but apparently that's not happening, as long as people are buying they will continue selling!

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Oldred: They have a huge customer base. I would bet in excess of Millions of people have bought from them. Their marketing team is looking at numbers and playing them for maximum profits.

The only thing that is really going to hurt their sales is a large Anti CTD campaign on the internet (which I believe is already happening) or a really big move would be to get them removed as TV sponsors on the gun channels. This is where they get their maximum exposure.

As I said in another post I will be talking to anyone at the NRA booth that I can to get them to either drop this outfit or reign them in.

The NRA guys will NOT be happy to hear that one of their main sponsors is screwing their customers regularly.

Midway doesn't do this and they are larger than CTD so why would a smaller outfit do it? Someone in marketing thinks this is good business and is trying to impress the boss? I personally think this is the case and I think once upper management hears of these practices someone will be looking for a job.

At least that's what I hope would happen in my perfect world. :veryconfu

Randy

John Boy
12-29-2013, 04:57 PM
OK, CTD has been fully exposed to not be cheap. So do your shopping here for 22LR ammo ...
http://ammoseek.com/ammo/22lr

southpaw
12-29-2013, 05:32 PM
As I said in another post I will be talking to anyone at the NRA booth that I can to get them to either drop this outfit or reign them in.

The NRA guys will NOT be happy to hear that one of their main sponsors is screwing their customers regularly.

Midway doesn't do this and they are larger than CTD so why would a smaller outfit do it? Someone in marketing thinks this is good business and is trying to impress the boss? I personally think this is the case and I think once upper management hears of these practices someone will be looking for a job.

At least that's what I hope would happen in my perfect world. :veryconfu

Randy

I would be amazed if "The NRA guys" have no idea about ctd and their pricing policy. I practically live under a rock and I have seen their ads and these guys are printing them in their magazine. Personaly I don't see it as them screwing their customers but their customers srewing themselves. How does that quote go? Let the buyer beware.

I would be even more amazed if "upper management" has no idea what is going on. It doesn't take a harvard grad to figure out what is going on when you see the profit for items jump 10 fold. Unaware? Nah, more like unconcerned. Thats assuming it wasn't their idea.

Like I said in my other post: If people keep buying it at crazy high prices, you can bet they will keep selling it to them.

Jerry Jr.

Lee
12-29-2013, 05:34 PM
Ain't dealt with them in several years. Getting tired of the emails and snailmail catalogs. Tried to look around and see if there is a way to unsubscribe?? I didn't have luck, did you?

I suggest that EVERYONE subscribe to the snailmail catalogs. Get 'em, rip em' burn 'em. THAT should cost them a few $$$....

Don't see them at the moment on this site? Somebody biting the hand that gouges it???

John Allen
12-29-2013, 05:36 PM
Imagine that CTD has done it again.

Uncle R.
12-29-2013, 05:52 PM
Aw c'mon guys - yet another thread bashing CTD for "evil gouging" on rimfire ammo?

Understand - THEY HAVE AMMO IN STOCK AND READY FOR SALE because their prices reflect the current scarcity. Or - to put in in terms you might prefer - because they're gouging.

...Midway doesn't do this and they are larger than CTD so why would a smaller outfit do it?

Yep - Midway hasn't raised their prices nearly as much as CTD.
And Midway has diddly in stock.
I checked a few minutes ago and all they had was Tenex pistol at over twenty bucks for fifty rounds.

A free market is very efficient at allocating scarce commodities - and with demand at current levels .22 rimfire ammo is certainly a scarce commodity. Fortunately it's still sold in a (mostly) free market. If you're willing to wait in line or try to hit a lucky moment you can still get ammo at near pre-crisis pricing from some retailers. If you absolutely HAVE to have it now you can get it from other retailers like CTD - but you're gonna pay for it. Your choice - your decision, so what's the problem? Please keep in mind you have those options only because of the free market and those <Ahem!> evil price gougers :roll: like CTD.

I have no desire to pay those prices either, but it's nice to know that if I really needed some long rifles I could get them. That's the beauty of a free market.

Uncle R.

Love Life
12-29-2013, 07:18 PM
Sheeeeoooot. I paid through the nose when I bought my daughter's cricket rifle. I needed 22lr, none was available for palatable prices, so I opened up the wallet and paid what I had to. It was nice to be able to get it, and the only person I cussed was myself for not buying more when it was cheap. I have a boatload back east at my inlaw's place, but it does me no good.

Had I waited to buy 22l locally t decent prices, I would still be sitting around wishing I had some 22lr.

trevj
12-29-2013, 07:25 PM
Meh. As long as guys pay, that's what the sellers will charge.

Dunno what's going on down there, I'm buying US made ammo here for as cheap as it's ever been. In stock.

Cheers
Trev

dragon813gt
12-29-2013, 07:54 PM
Go look at Midway's backorder times. Most of them are June of 2014 or later. So you have a few options. Wait it out over half a year. Try your luck locally and buy when you find it. Or pay CTD's, and others like them, high prices. This is exactly how a free market works. Any talk of regulating it is a slippery slope of government intervention. There is also a reason CTD has it in stock. Because they're charging a premium so they aren't selling as much. This is exactly how economics works. Don't like the price, don't buy. It's that simple.

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2013, 08:12 PM
Guys: here is a whole list of other places to buy .22LR's http://www.gunbot.net/ammo/rimfire/22lr/ It updates continuously so there is always someone who has stock.

If you look at the listings you will see CTD on there as well Mind you towards the bottom, and their prices run from .38 to .59 per round.

Randy

Speedo66
12-30-2013, 05:25 PM
They didn't just start gouging on .22's, they been doing it on any item that's scarce for years. Actually, not just scarce items, any item they think they can get away with charging usurious rates for.

They got crossed off my list years ago. If they were the only outfit that had something I wanted, I'd bite the bullet (pun intended) and do without.

Tackleberry41
12-30-2013, 06:00 PM
I seriously doubt the NRA cares what CTD does. They would have to be living on a dirt road on the information highway, to not know that CTD is gouging everybody. Yes NRA is about gun rights, but it always comes down to money. They throw alot of that gouged money at the NRA as a sponsor. Just like sponsoring TV shows or web sites. Cash talks.

S-code
12-30-2013, 06:26 PM
Just bought 2-50 round Rem High Vel. at a local store. $1.99 a box. I don't shoot 1K a weekend, but I like to shoot :)

shdwlkr
01-02-2014, 10:20 AM
Locally from a LGS that has 22lr I can get a brick of Wolf for $75 a brick and it goes up from there. I have been lucky and got a brick for less if I am in the store at the right time but that doesn't happen often. The stores I am talking about are Cabellas, Sportmans Warehouse that have had cheaper 22lr by the brick.
This shortage is going to last a very long time and even when things settle if they ever do you are not going to see really cheap 22lr again ever. ATK was raising their prices 15% last year even before the Sandy Hook thing happened. The cost of raw materials is going up so the cost of completed 22lr has to go up. Now if lead becomes scarce then I wonder what it will cost or if it will even be made.

Springfield
01-02-2014, 12:45 PM
My kids need .22lr to shoot in Cowboy matches. There was a guy locally who was selling bricks for 50.00 about 6 months ago. I refused to buy them because I didn't want to encourage those type of business practices. I bought a few 22's from Midway, just had to keep looking at the site every day. I ended up paying 50.00 after shipping, but I felt better. I now have enough to get them by for a while as I traded guys on this forum for things they needed more than the .22's they has wisely stocked up on before all of this madness. Did a few deals locally the same way. And none of them asked for outrageous trades even though they knew I was stuck. I just won't pay scalper prices. I would rather buy my kids some 45 Colt rifles and load very light loads for them before I will do that. Friends helping friends is almost always the best way to go, and this place is the best.