PDA

View Full Version : Two new leverguns

ammohead
11-28-2007, 12:02 AM
I went to Wisconsin to see family, take in a Packer game at Lambeau Field and do some deer hunting. The deer hunting was a last minute decision and went to Gander Mountain to look for a used rifle. Found a nice Marlin 336A in 35 Rem with a 24" bbl and a 5 digit serial number. The bore is pristine and the rest of the rifle I will call 90%. While visiting family I spied a small gun shop on main street and went inside. On the used rifle rack was a 94 Win in 30 WCF manufactured in 1897. 26" octagon bbl, cresent butt stock all in decent shape for $900. Needless to say both rifles followed me home. I am going to take the 94 to the Big Reno show this weekend to find some original front and rear sights that have been "upgraded" over the years, and to have it appraised.

NVcurmudgeon
11-28-2007, 02:25 AM
What a great vacation! Visiting family, a home Packer game, and two good levergun finds. Next, you'll tell us, "BTW, I got a B&C buck."

Buckshot
11-28-2007, 05:36 AM
..................Nice couple of rifles. Without doubt the 336 Marlin is a very fine rifle and they've sold a bunch of'em, but I sure prefer the 1893's flat bolt over the round 336's bolt.

Was it snowing up there yet?

................Buckshot

ammohead
11-28-2007, 10:43 AM
NVC,

Didn't even see a doe much less a big buck. Others in the party were successful, but lady luck didn't climb the stairs to my stand.

Buckshot,

I like the looks of the slab sides too, but this one is old enough to tell at first glance that it isn't of recent manufacture, and it has a classic look. Not sure that 35 Rems were ever made in slab side config? I still have those 200 gr .357 boolits you gave me. When I get dies etc. I will let you know how they shoot.

ammohead

9.3X62AL
11-28-2007, 01:37 PM
Agreed on "WHATTA TRIP"! Seeing a game at Lambeau is a long-time dream of mine, along with Fenway Park.

Both of those finds are excellent, sir.