PDA

View Full Version : Venison Steak and Taters Dish

Anonym
12-28-2013, 10:34 PM
Just finished cooking and eating a dish I whipped together and thought it was very tasty, so here's the recipe for anybody who wants to give it a try!

Ingredients:

- 5 small venison round steaks (cut from the rump, approximately 1/2 pound), sliced into small strips
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 5 medium potatoes, cleaned and cubed with peel
- 1 large carrot, peeled and sliced
- 4 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 2T "Steak and Chop" seasoning
- salt & pepper, to taste
- 1/2t crushed red pepper
- 1T corn meal (optional)
- 1 1/2T corn starch
- 2 beef bouillon cubes
- 3-4T bacon grease

I lightly browned the venison in a #8 cast iron skillet (with lid) on medium heat in the bacon grease and onions, seasoning with a little salt and pepper. Once browned, I removed the venison from the pan and set it aside. I then added the potatoes and carrots and let cook for about 10-15 minutes covered, stirring occasionally. Then I added the venison back to the pan, added the garlic, red pepper, and 1T of the Steak and Chop seasoning and stirred it together. In a small bowl, I crushed the bouillon cubes and added the corn starch, then mixed in about 1/2 cup of COLD water. Once dissolved, I poured this into the pan and stirred again. I then sprinkled the remaining 1T of Steak and Chop seasoning over the top of everything, covered, and baked in the oven for about 45 minutes at 350 degrees. Optional was to add a sprinkling of corn meal over the dish with the Steak and Chop seasoning to add a little crispy breading to the outer layer.

Pretty simple dish and was delicious. The juices made a nice thick gravy and the meat and vegetables were perfectly cooked. Wife and kids all cleaned their bowls and was asking for more! Made 4-5 servings. Hope you enjoy!

w5pv
12-29-2013, 10:50 AM
Mouth Salivating now.

2thepoint
12-30-2013, 09:49 PM
sounds delicious......just added to my "To Do List"

Dark Helmet
01-04-2014, 11:43 PM
Just ate this with pan bread and some leftover blackeye peas. Awesome recipe!