PDA

View Full Version : 54 Caliber TC Maxi Ball or Lyman Great Plains Molds wanted

884savage
12-28-2013, 07:00 PM
54 Caliber TC Maxi Ball or Lyman Great Plains Molds wanted
I have recently got my hands on a Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1 in 32 inch twist barrel. Every bullet I've shoved down the barrel has shot fantastic groups. The best part is that each bullet has preferred 60-70 grains of powder to get the results I'd only dreamed of. My Lee REAL mold is casting bullets that literally slip in and out of the barrel, and my Lee Minnie ball mold is casting bullets so tight I have to beat them down the barrel. Remarkably they both still shoot great groups. I've also fired a number of Maxi Balls weighing 420 grains that I ordered from Track of the Wolf. They have been excellent and so have Hornady Great Plains bullets. I like casting my own just because as I'm guessing most of us do. I've read a lot of horrible reviews on the Great Plains mold by Lyman, so I'd like to get my hands on an old T/C Maxi Ball mold. Anyone have one by any chance they'd want to sell or trade? I'd also be interested in trying the Lyman mold if one of you has one that you hate (and by hate I mean the bullets won't shoot from your gun not that the mold is defective).

So, long story short, anyone have a 54 caliber TC maxi ball mold they'd part with? Or a Lyman Great Plains 54 caliber mold?

Thanks guys.

johnson1942
12-28-2013, 08:36 PM
yours is a good gun. have you ever considered a sabot made by mmp that is for the .54 and shoots a fifty cal. bullet? the mmp sabots are fairly reasonable and in bulk are 20 percent lower in price. you gun would shoot a .50 450 grain bullet very very accurate and you could easily use 100 grains of 2f behind the sabot and bullet. its just a thought but it would extend the range of your gun and increase the knockdown power also.

884savage
12-28-2013, 08:47 PM
It's just a personal thing, but I want to shoot conicals out of it. I have an inline that I blast away with sabots. I agree it would make it more accurate, but I'm getting 2 inch groups at 70 yards. I don't need more than that for what I'm doing. Thanks for the idea though.