PDA

View Full Version : Question about plain base gas checks

rmatchell
12-28-2013, 06:43 PM
I bought some 45cal plain base gas checks a lil while back from a member to try out before I order a set of dies from pat. I tried to size them on a lee 230gr round nose tumble lube boolit today and found that I can pull the check off by hand after sizing. The checks are made from soda can aluminum. I was planning on just using a drop of super glue if needed. Is this a normal problem, or is it just the checks that I bought?

detox
12-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Sounds like your alloy is shrinking too much while cooling. If your bullets have a frosted appearence near base or shank you probably have mould too hot causing shrinkage at shank. When casting touch your sprue to wet sponge as soon as frosting first appears...this will help make shanks a little larger for best GC grip. Casting too hot will cause greater shrinkage.

452 cal Gas check shank should measure no less than .4250 Some moulds like RCBS will have a tapered shank.

rmatchell
12-28-2013, 08:37 PM
These are a plain base lee boolits if that helps

detox
12-28-2013, 08:49 PM
These are a plain base lee boolits if that helps

OK...sorry i misread...i am not familiar with those

GARD72977
12-28-2013, 11:04 PM
I would not worry about it. If they come off easy the all should fall off right after the leave the barrel. If the all come off or all stay on the effect will be the same. If some stay or worse wedge off center then you have a problem. I have never used the one that swage on a plane base bullet but I want to. I would not glue the on.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-29-2013, 01:23 PM
I bought some 45cal plain base gas checks a lil while back from a member to try out before I order a set of dies from pat. I tried to size them on a lee 230gr round nose tumble lube boolit today and found that I can pull the check off by hand after sizing. The checks are made from soda can aluminum. I was planning on just using a drop of super glue if needed. Is this a normal problem, or is it just the checks that I bought?

I have a 41 and 44 patmarlin plain base checkmakers. I use popcan metal to make checks.

If your alloy is hard, the PB GC can be quite loose after sizing. They work best with a fairly soft alloy. But even when conditions are ideal, you can still pry them off with your fingernail. I wouldn't use glue. If they don't 'slide off' you will be fine.
the alloy on these HP's measures about 7 or 8 BHN
http://i640.photobucket.com/albums/uu127/JonB_in_Glencoe/checkinstalled.jpg (http://s640.photobucket.com/user/JonB_in_Glencoe/media/checkinstalled.jpg.html)

rmatchell
12-29-2013, 06:02 PM
Sounds good ill try a softer alloy. Thanks for the help.