PDA

View Full Version : First try

jcameron996
12-28-2013, 06:42 PM
I've been following these threads for a few months and decided to jump off the deep end today. Went shopping at harbor freight and bought the electrostatic gun and paint. Decided to start with the red due to the black still being up in the air about barrel wear. Coated about 130 Lee 120gr TC for the 9mm. Attempted to water drop some right out of the oven and managed to make a mess. Liked the result of just sitting the tray on a wet towel to cool better. Will have to wait and see how it turns out when I get them loaded. Hoping this will solve the leading issues I have been having with tumble lubing. Thanks to everyone who has posted previously on this topic for all of the great information.

jcameron996
12-30-2013, 05:40 PM
Well I got a chance to test my first run of powder coated bullets today and to say I am pleased would be a huge understatement. I loaded them over 3.6 grains of Winchester 231 seated at 1.042 to pass the plunk test. I sized some with the lubrisizer and no lube that came out at .3575 and some through the lee push through that came out at .357. My Springfield xd seemed to prefer the slightly larger bullet as it put seven out of eight rounds in one ragged hole at fifteen yards off the bench. The ones sized at .357 were spread out slightly more but still better than anything I have been able to accomplish up to this time with cast. I haven't chronographed yet due to it being to darn cold for me to want to stay out that long. And the best part for last, after about fifty rounds total NO lead at all in the bore. I still have some more tweaking to do to my processes but so far things are looking up.

bangerjim
12-30-2013, 08:53 PM
Welcome to the 21st century.......NO GREASE and NO LEAD!

Glad you are having success. I could have told you that B4 you even started. I have "coaxed" several I know locally to go the ES gun method and they are 110% satisfied with all colors except yellow, same as me. It does NOT cover lead well at all.

I have not seen anything degrading about the matte black with my fire arms, but we all appreciate any/all posts here with differing RNAGE-PROVEN results, not just "doubting Thomas"comments.

Here we do not worry about temps! Hope it warms up for you soon.

PS........HF has the black, red, and white on sale for $3.99! right now. I cleaned out my local store's shelf today.

banger

jcameron996
12-30-2013, 09:53 PM
I bought a pound of all four on Saturday, so I should be set for a while. I just noticed something strange. I had one of the coated bullets in my pocket yesterday to show off and of course it went through the laundry. My wife found it in the drier and some of the paint had flaked off and I was able to scratch more off with a finger nail. I was surprised. I baked them at 400 degrees for twenty minutes. Any ideas? It didn't come off in the sizer or while loading today.

Maximumbob54
12-30-2013, 10:00 PM
Soft lead with hard shell. It's going to crack if it gets continuously bashed up. It holds up to sizing and then shooting. Good nuff.