PDA

View Full Version : 36˚ Drag the Grill Out.

Shiloh
12-28-2013, 04:43 PM
Yep, can't let a day like this go by. Gonna be darn near 40˚ today. Tomorrow, 2˚ for a high. Single digits till Friday. Lows of -15˚ Sunday night.

Shiloh

06ackley
12-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Hey that's the same grill I have.I really like mine.I am also getting mine out to cook up some chicken.

Shiloh
12-28-2013, 04:54 PM
My only regret is I should have got the next size bigger. I LOVE it!!
Can't wait for spring to do pork butts and brisket. Things that take a longer time. Don't want to try them yet. Today, yet again, boneless country style ribs.

Shiloh

Jim Flinchbaugh
12-28-2013, 04:57 PM
we grill all winter no matter what the temp :)

MaryB
12-29-2013, 01:34 AM
I used to... even used to make spareribs on the smoker for super bowl parties even if it was -20. Think age and arthritis have changed that!

cat223
12-29-2013, 02:49 AM
With an overnight low of 67 here in north central Florida, it could very well be too hot to grill out tomorrow.

mikeym1a
12-29-2013, 09:49 AM
What the heck? Were you up on a ladder to take that picture? From the angle, it looked like a model, until I looked at the butt ends of those vehicles in the garage. How high were you??

Shiloh
12-29-2013, 10:14 AM
With an overnight low of 67 here in north central Florida, it could very well be too hot to grill out tomorrow.

Here it'll be -15 tonite. Keep your comments to yourself!! ;)

Shiloh

Shiloh
12-29-2013, 10:32 AM
What the heck? Were you up on a ladder to take that picture? From the angle, it looked like a model, until I looked at the butt ends of those vehicles in the garage. How high were you??

The deck is 5 1/2 feet off the ground. Me standing on is so a little over 11' high. It is so hard to have consistent temperature in the winter. Yesterday was great. The time i did it when it was single digits was frustrating.

Shiloh

Jailer
12-29-2013, 11:16 AM
I've got a small pork shoulder I'm putting in the smoker today at noon.

Wind will make a big difference in temps. I run my smoker in the garage in the winter.

Shiloh
12-29-2013, 11:51 AM
I've got a small pork shoulder I'm putting in the smoker today at noon.

Wind will make a big difference in temps. I run my smoker in the garage in the winter.

My issue as well, the wind. Grilling is not an issue. Smoking is. My ribs were done and VERY tender after under 4 hours. Last time it was just over 5
I did a combo of side fire box smoke and coals in the main cooking area to keep the heat up. Wind was unusually mild yesterday on top of it being unseasonably warm. Currently 3˚. Gonna get to 4˚ and then start dropping.

Shiloh

Jailer
12-29-2013, 02:57 PM
It was unusually warm and calm yesterday so I spent about 4 hours at the range. 8-)

Shiloh
12-29-2013, 04:08 PM
It was unusually warm and calm yesterday so I spent about 4 hours at the range. 8-)

I have a head cold and felt kind of puny. The thought of getting things together, lugging stuff to the range, lugging it back uphill to go home was too much.

I started out yesterday however, with every intention of going to the range. After I got up, fatigue started taking its toll.
Had a 100 rounds of .38 ready to go, and 40 in .357 mag.

Shiloh

Jailer
12-29-2013, 06:17 PM
I hear ya, I just got over that crud a week or so ago. Cough is still hanging in there though and won't go away.

Just pulled the shoulder off. Took a bit longer than I thought it would and I still ended up pulling it off a little early at 180 internal temp but the dinner bell is ringing. It's resting in a cooler right now and I'll pull it in about 30 minutes.

Shiloh
12-29-2013, 08:00 PM
How long did the pork butt take??

Shiloh

Jailer
12-29-2013, 08:33 PM
It was a 3.5 lb roast and it was in for 5 hours. It stalled at 170 for about the last 2 hours it was in. It was good and tasty, just a bit tougher than I would have liked. It would have been a lot better if I could have left it in longer to finish up and get to 195 but dinner was a callin.

John Allen
12-29-2013, 08:49 PM
Shiloh, I cook outside on the grill or smoker all winter long bud. I prefer the taste of grilled food. I just put a propane heater outside so it is tolerable.

Shiloh
12-29-2013, 09:26 PM
I can grill John Allen, Smoking gets a bit dicey. The wind an cold here make it tough to hold consistent temps.
I do a combo of indirect heat and side firebox smoking. This helps holt the temp. A pork but may be doable, a brisket is out of the question.
Going into the coldest part of the winter here in the frozen upper midwest. Currently -7˚. The steady 10 mph wind makes it feel like -25˚
It's the freekin' wind that gets me. This is where propane rules.

Shiloh

Jailer
12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
Shiloh your spot on about the wind combined with the cold. I've got an electric smoker. I've got my PID controller set up so that I can move it back and forth between my casting pot and my smoker. It's as simple as set the temp and let it go.

I have had a couple days where it was really hard to get the temp up high enough to do what I want. Once I moved it into the closed garage I didn't have any problems. I do also enjoy working out there with that nice tasty smell that lasts for a couple days after I smoke something too.

Moonie
12-29-2013, 10:09 PM
My grill is similar but has larger charcoal side with additional firebox and a gas side. It also has a side burner I use to start charcoal in a chimney.