PDA

View Full Version : Lube cookie

Beekeeper
12-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Is it possible to use a too large lube cookie(thickness)?
I recently purchased a lube extruder from Buckshot.
It is a piece of art, makes a lube ribbon that is perfect but is much thinner than I am used to.
Makes me wonder if part of my problem(learning curve) with BP paper patching is wrong components , ie: wrong size therefore hindering versus helping.

beekeeper

montana_charlie
12-29-2013, 02:39 PM
We don't know what cartridge you are loading.
We don't know how thick your cookies are.
We don't know what problems you are having with paper patched ammunition.
Considering the amount of detail that is not available, the only reasonable answer that can be given to your question is ...

Yes, a lube cookie can be too thick.

Help us out more and maybe we can help you out more.

CM

Beekeeper
12-29-2013, 03:15 PM
Sorry MC, thought it was a universal question.
43 Mauser 446 340 grain GG and 449 360 grain PP
The grease cookie I have always used is 1/4 inch thick , I only use it with PP boolits.
Was Emmerts lube and recently changed to 50/50 bees wax/olive oil ( seems to work better with my Diamond Back FFG BP)
I am not having much problem at all with my BP rounds but am always looking to improve ( plus I like to tinker. That is how I found the 50/50 lube)
The lube extruder I got from Buckshot extrudes a strip 1/8 inch thick.

The Rifles are either 71/84 Mausers or Gahendra Martini Mauser in 43 Mauser bubbas that I built.
As is I am getting out to 885 yards which is about the max for the boolit weight I am using.
With Goex and Emmerts I got a lot of fouling and since changing to Diamond back and the 50/50 It is much better needing only about 5 patches to field clean a light brushing ( brass) and 8-10 to get it squeeky clean at home.

Don't mind doubleing up on the cookies just wanted to know if maybe overdoing it with a 1/4 in cookie.

beekeeper

Gunlaker
12-29-2013, 03:38 PM
I'd have a look at some of Rick Mulhern's older postings. If I remember correctly, he uses a reasonably thick lube cookie. There is certainly nothing wrong with the way his rifle shoots.

I've been getting by with a .125" lube cookie in my .45-110 Sharps Rifles ( using a lube ribbon extruder ). I've recently started using .160" lube cookies though, mainly because that's the thickness my new process creates.

Chris.

montana_charlie
12-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Don't mind doubleing up on the cookies just wanted to know if maybe overdoing it with a 1/4 in cookie.
A quarter inch sounds like a good choice, to me ... assuming you still have room for the powder charge that you want.

With Goex and Emmerts I got a lot of fouling and since changing to Diamond back and the 50/50 It is much better needing only about 5 patches to field clean a light brushing ( brass) and 8-10 to get it squeeky clean at home.
We usually say we are satisfied if the fouling remains light and/or soft from one shot to the next.
You base your satisfaction on how easily the barrel cleans up after the session.

Yours is a unique way of determining how well fouling is being managed.

CM

Beekeeper
12-29-2013, 06:14 PM
MC,
The old 43 Mauser was a military rifle designed (or at least I think so) to be shot all day before cleaning. In all of the reading I have done on it I have never found anything that says it was done diferent anyway!
I usually use a blow tube every 4-5 round ( only because the BP shooters where I go that will talk to me say that is the way it is supposed to be done) and run 4-5 patches through the barrel before I leave the range (wet with water only) and give it a good cleaning when I get home.

The Military round for it was 75 grains FFG and a 340 grain boolit.
The sights go out to 1100 yards (meters) haven't quite got them figured out yet but will soon and I am getting out to 855 which is as far as our range goes.

A Sharps they defently are not!
I have a friend that uses a blow tube on his sharps and 2F Swiss and 3 patches after a match and it is squeeky clean.
Since I don't shoot match Swiss seems an expense I can bypass and therefore use Diamond Back.

Thanks for the info, Learning curve for BP for an old smokeless shooter is sometimes a little Strange.

beekeeper

mikeym1a
12-29-2013, 07:48 PM
As to you fouling, have you read 'The Paper Jacket'? The author talks about using a 'duplex' load with his 45-70. He used about 12 grains of a smokeless powder, under the charge of BP. He said the smokeless had twice the push of BP, and you had to reduce the BP by 24 grains. The benefit of this was that the smokeless burned all the way to the end of the barrel, burning up most of the BP fouling, and leaving only a light ash in the barrel. Don't know if this would work for you, but, it might be worth looking into. Happy shooting!

country gent
12-29-2013, 10:24 PM
One way is to start at a known "to thick" and work down from there. I have a extruder made to give a 1/16" thick ribbon and can start 5/16 thich and work back from there in 1/16 increments. Watch lube star and fouling in barrel wiping. When star disappears and fouling gets hard crusty you add 1/16 back and your there.