PDA

View Full Version : First Post/Question: Lyman 429421 and alloy selection.

LowNleft
12-28-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm just getting started accumulating all the items I need to begin casting boolits for my 44 Magnum and 44 Special and would appreciate some advice regarding my choice of alloy. I have ordered a Lyman 429421 4 cavity mould for use with both 44 revolvers. I have on hand 50 pounds of #2 alloy and 40-50 pounds of pure lead. I am considering using straight #2 alloy for the 44 Magnum with the intention of keeping velocities in the 1200-1400 fps range for use as a hunting boolit. For the 44 Special I was thinking of blending 60% lead with 40% #2 alloy and keep velocities in the 950 fps range. The 44 Special round is intended for plinking, etc. Do you guys think I am on the right path regarding my choice of alloy recipe? I am excited to begin casting my own custom boolits and would appreciate any comments/words of wisdom that may come my way.

Thanks,
L&L

Bigslug
12-28-2013, 10:55 PM
Your #2 alloy is 90% lead, 5% tin, 5% antimony and should air cool to 15BHN. I'm into the KISS principle, so I would probably add enough lead to get the sn and sb down to about 3%, which should get your hardness down to about 12BHN (OK, the math is easier for 2.5% and 11BHN), and use that for both the magnums (ideal) and specials (a tad hard, but perfectly usable). Basically wheel-weight hardness but with a higher tin percentage.

The mix you talk of is probably going to get you in the 10BHN range - which would be ideal for your special load, .45ACP, and things of that ilk. I'm just more about 2-for-1 solutions to questions like yours.

LowNleft
12-29-2013, 12:21 PM
Bigslug,
Thanks for the reply, especially the part about the KISS principle:2_high5:. Although I have been handloading for 30+ years I have only recently become fascinated with the writtings of Elmer Keith and his thoughts on boolit hardness and proper sizing. Since #2 alloy and pure lead are the materials that I have readily at hand I want to attempt to see if I can replicate some of Mr. Keith's findings. At this point, I feel I am ready to get started and see from my own experience if I am worrying too much about boolit hardness. Just cast them and shoot them for gosh sakes!
At any rate, my original question was to find out if I was on the right track with regard to boolit hardness and application. Thanks again for helping to set my mind at ease. Now I just need to get started and get on with it.:Fire:
Thanks,
L&L

Bigslug
12-29-2013, 03:10 PM
As many here will tell you, boolit fit is king. Hardness seems to matter a lot less - just get it in the proper zip code.

Depending on how many revolvers you have, you should either buy a big set of pin gauges, or just procure the half dozen or so in the correct range to let you measure your cylinder throats. Sizing your slugs to that measurement, rather than that of the bore (which SHOULD be slightly smaller) is usually the best formula for accuracy and avoiding a case of the streaks. Starting with #2 and watering it down with a little lead will get you something very similar to clip-on wheelweights + 2% tin, which is a very popular formula for darn near anything you'd want to do with handguns short of the uber-magnums. Spend some time looking at the lead alloy calculator sticky http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?105952-Lead-alloy-calculators and save it to your desktop. Then spend some time linking to Glenn Fryxell's book: http://www.lasc.us/Fryxell_Book_Contents.htm and your brain will be far more comfortable with what lies ahead.

LowNleft
12-30-2013, 08:54 AM
Thanks for the info Bigslug. I'll take your advice and get started. I'm looking forward to that part about my brain getting comfortable.:-D

Larry Gibson
12-30-2013, 11:23 AM
LowNleft

Your alloy idea's are sound for your applications. The #2 alloy will do nicely for your magnum level loads. When initially mixing with lead for the 44 SPL loads I suggest adding only 30% at 1st. Cast a few and make sure they are casting at the diameter you want with that mix. If so you can increase the lead in 10% increments cast some at each increment to check quality and diameter. If they start not casting well and/or are at too small a diameter before 60% lead is added then you've added too much lead. You can easily add some more #2 to bring back up t casting the bullets you want. That way you'll not end up with a batch of alloy that does not cast the bullets you want. I usually find between 30 & 50 % lead added to be about right. My standard sizing for my Hawes and Ruger .44 Magnums is .430 these days although my Anaconda 44 Magnum and Ruger 444-40 require a .429 sizing for certain bullets to chamber.

Larry Gibson

white eagle
12-30-2013, 09:30 PM
you could get some tin and make up some lead/tin alloy with the pure you have

Defcon-One
12-30-2013, 10:26 PM
I'd do what Larry said!

I would use the Lyman #2, infact I do, for loads approaching .44 Magnum level (Gas checks help if you get really hot). In the .44 Special, I'd go 50/50 Lyman #2 with the Pure Lead in a small batches until verified.

lwknight
12-31-2013, 12:30 AM
I have used fairly soft lead with about 2% tin and gotten pretty good terminal results with minimal leading at 1400 fps or a little more.
Also have loaded full house magnum power with 5% tin and unknown ( not much) antimony with little leading but did not do any terminal exam.

The harder commercial alloy bullets did not shoot as accurately for my SBH but did lead up the forcing cone.
So its like Forest Gump said: " its a box of chocolates".

LowNleft
12-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Thanks for all the information and encouragement!

Larry, you bring up a good point that I had been wondering about. My 44 Special has a groove diameter of .429 and the throats measure .431. Although I am still waiting for delivery of my 429421 mould, I have been wondering if the "as cast" diameter would be too small to properly fit the cylinder throats using 50%-60% lead to #2 alloy. Casting smaller batches for evaluation seems like the smart way to proceed. I intend to focus on boolit fit and accuracy with leading being a close secondary concern.

Lots to think about while I wait for my "stuff" to be delivered. Thanks again for all the input. This site offers a wealth of information and I really do appreciate all your comments.

L&L

Larry Gibson
01-01-2014, 12:46 AM
I'd bet with your #2 alloy + 40 - 50% lead the 429421s will drop .430+ With that alloy you are still running 2.5+ antimony and 2.5+ tin. and that is a very good SbSn percentage. BHN should run 12 +/-. You can always decrease the % of lead until the 429421s drop "just right" but I'm betting they will drop just fine with the 50% added lead.

Larry Gibson

LowNleft
01-01-2014, 05:54 PM
Thanks Larry, I think I'll try the 50/50 blend first. As soon as I get the opportunity to cast some boolits I'll post my results. I'm still waiting for delivery of the 429421 mould.