PDA

View Full Version : 54 caliber T/C Maxi Ball mold or maybe a Lyman Great Plains mold wanted

884savage
12-28-2013, 03:17 PM
I have recently got my hands on a Lyman Great Plains Hunter with a 1 in 32 inch twist barrel. Every bullet I've shoved down the barrel has shot fantastic groups. The best part is that each bullet has preferred 60-70 grains of powder to get the results I'd only dreamed of. My Lee REAL mold is casting bullets that literally slip in and out of the barrel, and my Lee Minnie ball mold is casting bullets so tight I have to beat them down the barrel. Remarkably they both still shoot great groups. I've also fired a number of Maxi Balls weighing 420 grains that I ordered from Track of the Wolf. They have been excellent and so have Hornady Great Plains bullets. I like casting my own just because as I'm guessing most of us do. I've read a lot of horrible reviews on the Great Plains mold by Lyman, so I'd like to get my hands on an old T/C Maxi Ball mold. Anyone have one by any chance they'd want to sell or trade? I'd also be interested in trying the Lyman mold if one of you has one that you hate (and by hate I mean the bullets won't shoot from your gun not that the mold is defective).

So, long story short, anyone have a 54 caliber TC maxi ball mold they'd part with? Or a Lyman Great Plains 54 caliber mold?

Thanks guys.

Maven
12-28-2013, 03:36 PM
884savage, Repost (copy & paste) this in the Want to Buy section of Swapping & Selling.

dondiego
12-28-2013, 03:38 PM
You might try this question on the Muzzleloader forum too. I only have the .50 cal TC mold.

scattershot
12-28-2013, 04:18 PM
I have a .54 Maxi mould, unused. Let me look around and I'll get back to you.

scattershot
12-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Well, it must have disappeared in the move. Sorry. I do have some Maxi Balls and Great Plains bullets, though, if you can use the boolits instead of the mold.

884savage
12-28-2013, 08:49 PM
Oh Scattershot, I'm in mourning right now. I was so excited I even told the wife :( Oh well, I keep hunting. That's half the fun.

scattershot
12-28-2013, 10:06 PM
Sorry to get your hopes up like that. Good hunting!

scattershot
12-29-2013, 12:00 AM
Well, guess what I just found?? Thought it was new, but it's not. Pretty good shape, though. Shoot me a PM and we'll get this ball rollin'.