primersp
12-28-2013, 12:20 PM
hello

what do you think about new LEE design mold with 2 pins like the 6 cav
i'm not an fan of lee mold

thanks

marvelshooter
12-28-2013, 12:35 PM
I like the new style much better than the old ones. Not only does it have real alignment pins you can remove the handles if need be.

Bohica793
12-28-2013, 02:09 PM
I love the new design, but unfortunately, the new mold I just received casts undersized rounds. What should be .452+ come out as .449-450 at best. I sent it back but don't expect anything positive to come out of it.

deltaenterprizes
12-28-2013, 03:26 PM
I want to get one to see if it can be adapted to a Master Caster!

leadman
12-28-2013, 03:59 PM
I have had a couple of issues with the new style 2 cavity but most of them have been worked out. The last issue is the sprue plate scarring the top of the mold. Andy Lee thought he had it cured but it is not, but he is working on it.
I have used a couple of custom molds from well known mold makers and they cast no better then a good new style Lee. One was was worse and had issues with the location of the locking screw for the sprue plate pivot and also did not vent well.
At least Lee will take care of the problem without a battle.

ubetcha
12-28-2013, 08:55 PM
I like the new style much better than the old ones. Not only does it have real alignment pins you can remove the handles if need be.
How are you able to remove the handles? I see that they are Allen drive, but I'm not able to turn them without fear of rounding the screws out or snapping the wrench. I just purchased a 150gr 30 cal and a 170 gr 30cal. The 170gr would not close completely at the bottom and took it back to lee.( I live close by). They gave me a new one, but the 150gr has one block the is very tight on the handles compared to the new 170gr. I would like to remove the tight block screw and inspect for the cause.

ubetcha
12-28-2013, 09:05 PM
I have had a couple of issues with the new style 2 cavity but most of them have been worked out. The last issue is the sprue plate scarring the top of the mold. Andy Lee thought he had it cured but it is not, but he is working on it.
I have used a couple of custom molds from well known mold makers and they cast no better then a good new style Lee. One was was worse and had issues with the location of the locking screw for the sprue plate pivot and also did not vent well.
At least Lee will take care of the problem without a battle.

I had a couple of molds that did this also. What I did to fix this was very lightly run the top of the blocks over some 600 grit wet/dry sandpaper taped to a flat surface just to get the scars level. With the sprue plate off of course. Then ran the bottom of sprue plate over the paper and level the plate. I then applied Permatex anti-seize to the top of the blocks and around the hole for the sprue plate screw. With everything reassembled, the plate just glides across the block very easily. Don't forget to run a file along the edges of the sprue plate to remove the saw edge

AABEN
12-30-2013, 01:24 PM
I have 8 LEE molds and never had any trouble with them. I wish LEE made a 165 40 cal.