PDA

View Full Version : Heater Plate (custom)

Digger
12-28-2013, 10:13 AM
More on the plate here dbosman ..... was thinking about an auction with benefits to go to the web site ... have not done this before .
This from my original post in the "cast boolits" forum..
link ..
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?224705-Heater-Plate-%28rare-kind%29&p=2544885#post2544885
The plates are made for the single purpose of melting plastic pipe.
they have an internal thermostat so they are "self regulated" ... with a twist of a screw to set the temp at a certain level.
they have "face plates" that are cover in teflon so the plastic pipe will not stick in it's melted state , when the face plate gets to many scratches or gouges they are changed out for a new one ...
I have taken advantage of this and as you can see I can mount a machine on each plate and still bolt to the existing heater ,,, I drill holes for each machine and counter sink on the back side so I can use a small bolt and nut .
in the pic , you can see the arrangement with the internals , the two heating elements on the outside and the adjustable thermostat in the center ..... the plates them selves measure 3 1/2 by 4 inches ...
they are built this way to maintain a constant temperature ...

6bg6ga
12-28-2013, 10:26 AM
More on the plate here dbosman ..... was thinking about an auction with benefits to go to the web site ... have not done this before .
The plates are made for the single purpose of melting plastic pipe.
they have an internal thermostat so they are "self regulated" ... with a twist of a screw to set the temp at a certain level.
they have "face plates" that are cover in teflon so the plastic pipe will not stick in it's melted state , when the face plate gets to many scratches or gouges they are changed out for a new one ...
I have taken advantage of this and as you can see I can mount a machine on each plate and still bolt to the existing heater ,,, I drill holes for each machine and counter sink on the back side so I can use a small bolt and nut .
in the pic , you can see the arrangement with the internals , the two heating elements on the outside and the adjustable thermostat in the center ..... the plates them selves measure 3 1/2 by 4 inches ...
they are built this way to maintain a constant temperature ...

Not to throw cold water on your idea but the same thing can be accomplished by purchasing a piece of scrap T6061 aluminum from your local scrap yard and drilling two holes in it. One hole for a 1/4" diameter heating element and the other hole for a 1/8 " pid control probe. The cost for for a piece of scrap 1/2" aluminum 12"x12" will be around $25 and the cost for a heating element will be around $30 for a 400 watt unit. To control the heater a PID can be used. This setup will provide a far better temp control than your bi-metal temp switch. As for the large opening that houses the heaters and temp control....its simply too large. My 1/4" hole for my heating element is a press hit as is the hole for the temp probe.

My heating plate that is setup as mentioned above allows me to change the Star/Magma sizers as needed in two minutes or less to suit my sizing lubing needs.

Just my .02

myg30
12-28-2013, 10:45 AM
Lymans heating element is only 15 Watts. So the aluminum plate with 1/4 hole and a 15w tube element and no control is ok too ?

Old school is ok sometimes.

Mike

6bg6ga
12-28-2013, 10:53 AM
Lymans heating element is only 15 Watts. So the aluminum plate with 1/4 hole and a 15w tube element and no control is ok too ?

Old school is ok sometimes.

Mike

Some of us are impatient and don't want to wait 1/2-3/4 hr for it to warm up. Mine is ready in 5 min or less and accurate to plus or minus 2 degrees unlike the less technical bi-metalic switch. To each his own I guess. I'd rather have accurate and fast myself.

Digger
12-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Cold water ? .... was just putting this out here as a thought ...
these were used on a daily basis at 475 to 500 degrees (my link to the first post in the "boolits forum)
They have been discarded , destined for the trash can because this system is no longer used , they have since gone to the temp sensor in body with the controller in handle , " circuit board" about a foot above the plate ..
probably due to reliability in the long run ..
these were self contained with a big wooden handle for years ... it has been a few years since they discontinued this type ..
these parts were going to be discarded or tossed as they were out of date , non-usable with today's machine's
The down side is these can go up to 500 to 600 degrees so if one is not careful nasty things can occur ..
by making this available I might be setting myself up for potential problems down the road here as these could be way over kill for mild temps we use.
Mine is set at a constant 80 degrees with my IR reader ... steady and constant ...
of course if I wanted it to help heat up the man cave this time of year , it wouldn't take much..
By the way .... the holes are not to big ....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]91808[/ATTACH
would appreciate everyone's input if this is viable or not.

leftiye
12-28-2013, 02:11 PM
Like you said, could get mucho hot. But if the thermostat works, shouldn't be a problem. If thrown out, the price would be right? Some people use an aluminum plate under the sizer, and set a clothing iron on the plate. I don't use hard lubes, no heater. Live and let live?

Wayne Smith
12-29-2013, 10:46 AM
I would guess this needs to go to the shopping and selling area and see what interest you get. I would be interested but the price would have to be very low. It's more of an academic interest than a need for me now.