PDA

View Full Version : Homemade Black Powder Charge

jonp
12-28-2013, 10:00 AM
I became interested in trying to make some homemade BP after watching a thread on this site by another member. It looks interesting but I have a question involving my Blackhawk 45LC and my Puma 45LC.

When I make this powder how do I load it for this revolver and lever? What I mean is, how do I come to a correct charge with homemade powder like this? Do I load to the bottom of the seated boolit without compressing it? I am just looking to make some and have fun at target practice not hunt so it does not have to be a powerful load just plinking.

Can't find a thread that tells this so point me at one if you can.

Thanks.

Nobade
12-28-2013, 11:37 AM
Just like you would load any black powder. For 45 Colt, just throw enough in the case so the bullet compresses it some - maybe 1/8 inch - without getting distorted or bumped. If that happens, back off the powder some so you don't damage the bullet. Use proper black powder lube of course. Very simple and practically foolproof.

-Nobade

jonp
12-29-2013, 09:59 AM
Thanks. I expect the granulation of the BP will not be uniform and didn't know if this would have a huge effect on the charge.

Nobade
12-29-2013, 10:40 AM
Not really. Until you spend a lot of time learning to make really powerful powder, your homemade isn't likely to be terribly overwhelming. Especially if you are making screened powder and not pressed - you can't get enough in a case to come close to normal ballistics. With time and practice you can learn how to make pretty good powder and get close to a normal load. Since you can't overload a 45 Colt with black, don't worry about it too much just load 'er up and go see how it works.

-Nobade

jonp
12-30-2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks, Nobade. I am not interested at this point to put the time and effort into refining the powder that much. I just want to learn the process and make some of my own to see it go bang and put a boolit downrange into a target.

Freightman
12-30-2013, 12:45 PM
Sorry to say this but I was only going to make some for the same purpose, now I am addicted. Started with some charcoal from the fire place and then found that willow was better, then tree of heaven, then, well you get the idea addicted!!! have fun and it is more fun than buying.:Fire:

gunoholic
01-04-2014, 05:50 AM
Been making it since I was a kid. Now days I even have a 12 ton press I made just for pressing black powder. If its not pressed the bulk density is about half that of bought powder, fine for a front stuffer, but not so good in a cartridge.
I could only get about 9-10grains in a .357 mag case, with my pressed powder I load 21.5 grains under an accurate 36-145c.