PDA

View Full Version : Breech Seal

Little Doc
12-27-2013, 04:24 PM
looking for a breech seal for a Winchester 423. am told it is a Diana 23. mfg date on gun is 09 69. made in Germany.

the breech seal in this gun is leather and has a groove in it at the bottom that I believe is letting air escape when fired. would like to replace the seal and see if it will improve the power. not a stout gun to begin with so any loss is really obvious. if anyone knows where to get a new seal I would be interested. also is there a replacement that is an o ring? just a thought.
guess I could make a punch and cut one from leather. last resort.
m

trevj
12-27-2013, 05:30 PM
Remove the seal and space it up a bit.

Digging it out is going to fluff up the leather anyway, a sturdy pointed object is going to be required to lift the seal out, some neatsfoot oil on the old seal, and a spacer under it, may solve your problem.

I found that punching out rings was a PITA. Got far better results punching a center hole far too small, and stacking up a bunch of 'blanks' on a mandrel on a lathe and cutting the OD down to size on a trial and error basis until I hit the size I needed. Getting the thickest, hardest leather I could find to start with helped a lot too.

Adjusted the thickness of the second last washer to be installed, by shaving off layers with a razor blade, so that I got a good seal on the last one.

Installing the leather into the breech was...educational!

Have fun!

Cheers
Trev

GBertolet
12-27-2013, 06:21 PM
Try Chambers in the U.K.. Most parts arrive here in the states, faster than the USPS from the opposite coast does. They accept most credit cards also. Good people. www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24369/23/

HollowPoint
12-27-2013, 07:15 PM
I've read that there are conversion kits that you can retro-fit onto some of the older model air rifles that will allow them to use the new synthetic Piston-Seals. I found this out recently while researching what the newer synthetic Seals are made of.

Retro-fitting such an upgrade would solve the problem of replacing the older leather seals.

HollowPoint

roysha
12-27-2013, 11:44 PM
Copy and paste this into Google search:

Air guns - Pyramyd Air Report

Friday, December 07, 2007

How to make a leather piston seal

Little Doc
12-28-2013, 01:20 PM
thanks,
have the lathe can make the breech seal as described. Good info on the piston seal. can do that also if needed.
m

Little Doc
12-28-2013, 01:22 PM
I've read that there are conversion kits that you can retro-fit onto some of the older model air rifles that will allow them to use the new synthetic Piston-Seals. I found this out recently while researching what the newer synthetic Seals are made of.

HollowPoint
would you share this info? many folks might like to know besides me.
m

W.R.Buchanan
12-29-2013, 07:32 PM
I'd just call Pyramyd Air and have them send me a new seal for $1 or 2. That way you know your getting the right part.

Randy